• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CLASSIC Opinion Pieces, Classic Players.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I have only skimmed through these articles thanks everyone for posting them...mostly Watson. Here's a personal favourite of mine written by Arthur Mailey
Mailey A: Trumper v Mailey : "10 for 66 and All That"(1958)
EXTRACT from "10 for 66 and All That" (1958), by ARTHUR MAILEY It is difficult to realize that a relatively minor event in one's life can still remain the most important through the years. I was chosen to play for Redfern against Paddington - and Paddington was Victor Trumper's club. This was unbelievable, fantastic. It could never happen - something was sure to go wrong. A war - an earthquake - Trumper might fall sick. A million things could crop up in the two or three days before the match. I sat on my bed and looked at Trumper's picture still pinned on the canvas wall. It seemed to be breathing with the movement of the draught between the skirting. I glanced at his bat standing in a corner of the room, then back at the gently moving picture. I just couldn't believe that this, to me, ethereal and godlike figure could step off the wall, pick up that bat and say quietly, 'Two legs, please, umpire', in my presence. My family, usually undemonstrative and self-possessed, found it difficult to maintain that reserve which, strange as it may seem, was characteristic of my father's Northern Irish heritage. 'H'm,' said Father, 'Playing against Trumper on Saturday. By jove, you'll cop Old Harry if you're put on to bowl at him.' 'Why should he?' protested Mother. 'You never know what you can do till you try.' I had nothing to say. I was little concerned with what should happen to me in the match. What worried me was that something would happen to Trumper which would prevent his playing. Although at this time I had never seen Trumper play, on occasions I trudged from Waterloo across the Sandhills to the Sydney cricket ground and waited at the gate to watch the players coming out. Once I had climbed on a tram and actually sat opposite my hero for three stops. I would have gone further but having no money I did not want to take the chance of being kicked in the pants by the conductor. Even so I had been taken half a mile out of my way. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would ever speak to Trumper let alone play against him. I am fairly phlegmatic by nature but between the period of my selection and the match I must have behaved like a half-wit. Right up to my first Test match I always washed and pressed my own flannels, but before this match I pressed them not once but several times. On the Saturday I was up with the sparrows and looking anxiously at the sky. It was a lovely morning but it still might rain. Come to that, lots of things could happen in ten hours - there was still a chance that Vic could be taken ill or knocked down by a tram or twist his ankle or break his arm.... My thoughts were interrupted by a vigorous thumping on the back gate. I looked out of the washhouse-bathroomwoodshed-workshop window and saw that it was the milkman who was kicking up the row. 'Hey !' he roared - 'yer didn't leave the can out. I can't wait around here all day. A man should pour it in the garbage tin - that'd make yer wake up a bit!' On that morning I wouldn't have cared whether he poured the milk in the garbage tin or all over me. I didn't belong to this world. I was playing against the great Victor Trumper. Let the milk take care of itself. I kept looking at the clock. It might be slow - or it might have stopped! I'd better whip down to the Zetland Hotel and check up. Anyhow, I mightn't bowl at Trumper after all. He might get out before I come on. Or I mightn't get a bowl at allafter all, I can't put myself on. Wonder what Trumper's doing this very minute ... bet he's not ironing his flannels. Sends them to the laundry, I suppose. He's probably got two sets of flannels, anyway. Perhaps he's at breakfast, perhaps he's eating bacon and eggs. Wonder if he knows I'm playing against him? Don't suppose he's ever heard of me. Wouldn't worry him anyhow, I shouldn't think. Gosh, what a long morning! Think I'll dig the garden. No, I won't - I want to keep fresh. Think I'll lie down for a bit . . . better not, I might fall off to sleep and be late. The morning did not pass in this way. Time just stopped. I couldn't bring myself to doing anything in particular and yet I couldn't settle to the thought of not doing anything. I was bowling to Trumper and I was not bowling to Trumper. I was I early and I was late. In fact, I think I was slightly out of my mind. I didn't get to the ground so very early after all, mainly because it would have been impossible for me to wait around so near the scene of Trumper's appearance - and yet for it to - rain or news to come that something had prevented Vic from playing. 'Is he here?' I asked Harry Goddard, our captain, the moment I did arrive at the ground. 'Is who here?' he countered. My answer was probably a scornful and disgusted look. I remember that it occurred to me to say, 'Julius Caesar, of course' but that I stopped myself being cheeky because this was one occasion when I couldn't afford to be. Paddington won the toss and took first knock. When Trumper walked out to bat, Harry Goddard said to me: 'I'd better keep you away from Vic. If he starts on you he'll probably knock you out of grade cricket.' I was inclined to agree with him yet at the same time I didn't fear punishment from the master batsman. All I wanted to do was just to bowl at him. I suppose in their time other ambitious youngsters have wanted to play on the same stage with Henry Irving, or sing with Caruso or Melba, to fight with Napoleon or sail the seas with Columbus. It wasn't conquest I desired. I simply wanted to meet my hero on common ground. Vic, beautifully clad in creamy, loose-fitting but welltailored flannels, left the pavilion with his bat tucked under his left arm and in the act of donning his gloves. Although slightly pigeon-toed in the left foot he had a springy athletic walk and a tendency to shrug his shoulders every few minutes, a habit I understand he developed through trying to loosen his shirt off his shoulders when it became soaked with sweat during his innings. Arriving at the wicket, he bent his bat handle almost to a right angle, walked up the pitch, prodded about six yards of it, returned to the batting crease and asked the umpire for 'two legs', took a guick glance in the direction of fine leg, shrugged his shoulders again and took up his stance. I was called to bowl sooner than I had expected. I suspect now that Harry Goddard changed his mind and decided to put me out of my misery early in the piece. Did I ever bowl that first ball? I don't remember. My head was in a whirl, I really think I fainted and the secret of the mythical first ball has been kept over all these years to save me embarrassment. If the ball was sent down it must have been hit for six, or at least four, because I was awakened from my trance by the thunderous booming Yabba who roared: 'O for a strong arm and walking stick!' I do remember the next ball. It was, I imagined, a perfect leg-break. When it left my hand it was singing sweetly like a humming top. The trajectory couldn't have been more graceful if designed by a professor of ballistics. The tremendous leg-spin caused the ball to swing and curve from the off and move in line with the middle and leg stump. Had I bowled this particular ball at any other batsman I would have turned my back early in its flight and listened for the death rattle. However, consistent with my idolization of the champion, I watched his every movment. He stood poised like a panther ready to spring. Down came his left foot to within a foot of the ball. The bat, swung from well over his shoulders, met the ball just as it fizzed off the pitch, and the next sound I heard was a rapping on the offside fence. It was the most beautiful shot I have ever seen. The immortal Yabba made some attempt to say something but his voice faded away to the soft gurgle one hears at the end of a kookaburra's song. The only person on the ground who didn't watch the course of the ball was Victor Trumper. The moment he played it he turned his back, smacked down a few tufts of grass and prodded his way back to the batting crease. He knew where the ball was going. What were my reactions? Well, I never expected that ball or any other ball I could produce to get Trumper's wicket. But that being the best ball a bowler of my type could spin into being, I thought that at least Vic might have been forced to play a defensive shot, particularly as I was almost a stranger too and it might have been to his advantage to use discretion rather than valour. After I had bowled one or two other reasonably good balls without success I found fresh hope in the thought that Trumper had found Bosanquet, creator of the 'wrong 'un' or 'bosie' (which I think a better name), rather puzzling. This left me with one shot in my locker, but if I didn't use it quickly I would be taken out of the firing line. I decided, therefore, to try this most undisciplined and cantankerous creation of the great B.J. Bosanquet - not, as many may think, as a compliment to the inventor but as the gallant farewell, so to speak, of a warrior who refused to surrender until all his ammunition was spent. Again fortune was on my side in that I bowled the ball I had often dreamed of bowling. As with the leg-break, it had sufficient spin to curve in the air and break considerably after making contact with the pitch. If anything it might have had a little more top-spin, which would cause it to drop rather suddenly. The sensitivity of a spinning ball against a breeze is governed by the amount of spin imparted, and if a ball bowled at a certain pace drops on a certain spot, one bowled with identical pace but with more top-spin should drop eighteen inches or two feet shorter. For this reason I thought the difference in the trajectory and ultimate landing of the ball might provide a measure of uncertainty in Trumper's mind. Whilst the ball was in flight this reasoning appeared to be vindicated by Trumper's initial movement. As at the beginning of my over he sprang in to attack but did not realize that the ball, being an off-break, was floating away from him and dropping a little quicker. Instead of his left foot being close to the ball it was a foot out of line. In a split second Vic grasped this and tried to make up the deficiency with a wider swing of the bat. It was then I could see a passage-way to the stumps with our 'keeper, Con Hayes, ready to claim his victim. Vic's bat came through like a flash but the ball passed between his bat and legs, missed the leg stump by a fraction, and the bails were whipped off with the great batsman at least two yards out of his ground. Vic had made no attempt to scramble back. He knew the ball had beaten him and was prepared to pay the penalty, and although he had little chance of regaining his crease on this occasion I think he would have acted similarly if his back foot had been only an inch from safety. As he walked past me he smiled, patted the back of his bat and said, 'It was too good for me.' There was no triumph in me as I watched the receding figure. I felt like a boy who had killed a dove
Mailey A: Trumper v Mailey : "10 for 66 and All That"(1958) | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That is the greatest piece of cricket writing of them all imo

watson

Banned
Here's something written by Bert Oldfield in 1938. Of course it's got nothing to do with the 30K draft where I've picked Maurice Tate :p

The comments by Oldfield and Grimmett on Hammond are interesting though.

Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933 - 1954), Wednesday 16 March 1938, page 16

Chapman Was Greatest Fieldsman— And Tate the Best Bowler

By W. A. (Bert) OLDFIELD

PERCY CHAPMAN was one of England's most colourful cricketers. Profiting from the experience which he gained in Australia as one of the M.C.C. team brought here by A. C McLaren, on his way to New Zealand in 1923.

Chapman developed rapidly to be one of England's best amateurs. A year later he was back in Australia with A. E. R. Gilligan's test team, laying the foundation for captaincy, a distinction he achieved when the Australians went to England in 1926.

Always dashing and aggressive, he was a left-handed batsman without a sound defence. Nevertheless, he proved himself a match-winning factor on several occasions. He could not be classed with stars like Bardsley or Woolley, but his aptitude for leadership, coupled with his dazzling brilliance as a fieldsman, made him an indispensable member of England's test side for years.

He was unquestionably the greatest all-round fieldsman I have known. In more than one match I have seen him fill with great credit slips, cover point, nid-off, and even the outfield, from which position his returns to the wictet were of the type in which I have revelled.

On recent tours he excelled in that very difficult position known as the gully. Here he has dismissed Aus-ralia's greatest batsmen. I recall how in the fading light at Brisbane in 1928, at the Exhibition Ground, he caught Woodfull off Larwood before the Australian captain had scored. That wonderful catch was a joy to behold.

Miraculous Catch To Dismiss Bradman

When we went to England in 1930 he still was a menace in this position, dismissing Woodfull twice in the first test, first off Tate and then off Larwood, and in the second test, at Lord's, he displayed equal brilliance and judgment in twice dismissing Bradman. His Catching Of Bradman for nine in the second innings off Tate was a sensation. Bradman, timing a shot perfectly, sent the ball with terrific power wide of gully. It looked a certain four, but Chapman, with outstretched left hand, intercepted the ball a foot from the ground and brought off a miraculous catch.

As a captain, I consider Chapman the best I have played against in test matches. He was always an individualist, seldom seeking advice from others, and appeared to be blessed with the uncanny gift of making the correct decision at the right moment. He studied his opponents, and did not make the mistake of feeding their strength.

When Gilligan came to Australia in 1924 he brought a new figure— a player who proved a super-bowler in all truth. Maurice Tate was his name his geniality and his fondness for ready conversation on the field, someimes during an over, quickly made him everybody's friend. This virtue was by no means his only characteristic as his outstanding figures at the end of the season showed only too well.

The curiosity of spectators is often aroused when two or more players are in conversation in the middle of the field. The question has often been put to me: 'What do you players talk about during a match? I remember one day on the Sydney Cricket Ground when Johnny Taylor had just hit Tate to the boundary. I was batting at the other end and Maurice walked over to me. I thought by his manner he was going to say something serious, probably about the cavalier treatment he had received at Johnny's bat. To my surprise he said, In a most confidential whisper: "What a wonderful crowd here to-day Bert. How many, do you think? Sixty thousand."

Tate The Greatest Bowler I Have Faced

Of all the bowlers I have faced in Tests, slow, fast, or medium, I regard Tate as the greatest. He always was a better bowler in Australia than in England. The natural cut which he Imparted to the ball with his delivery made him positively hostile. He has often been described as medium-paced, but he made so much pace off the wicket that it would not be romancing to classify him as fast.

There was a menace in every one of his deliveries. So well did he bowl on his first tour of Australia that Gilligan found it difficult to give him any relief. I have seen him bowl In the Sydney heat practically from noon until the approach of the tea internal. Yet to all appearances, he finshed quite fresh and full of determination to get wickets. He loved the Sydney ground, no doubt because he was invariably successful there.

He was able to swing the ball both ways at will, being at his best when bowling into a light breeze. His figures in his first test in Australia, taking a total of 11 wickets, and finishing the series with the amazing total of 38 wickets, are still a record in this country.

There could be no more popular captain than Gilligan, who endeared himself to the Australian public during his all-too-short career in test cricket. To me he appeared as one who controlled his side with a light-hearted varsity spirit, always wearing a smile; yet, deep down, he was as eager for victory as the most serious of skippers. Although he had the pleasure of winning only one test on his only tour of Australia, it will be remembered how fortune turned against him. With even a sparkle of luck one or two more matches might have ended in favour of England and thus given her the 'ashes'.

The outstanding characteristic of his captaincy was the resolution he showed whenever the tide of battle was going against him. The smile which he wore as he accepted one defeat after another revealed his fine spirit of sportsmanship as well as his exemplary attitude as leader. Winning the toss in Australia, where tests are played to a finish, is of far greater importance to a side than it is in England, where the test matches are limited at present to four days. Gilligan did not enjoy a fair share of luck in this regard.

Gilligan Took Some Wonderful Catches

Like his Cambridge associate, Percy Chapman, Gilligan was a magnificent fieldsman. These two great stars combined in powerful style, to the great delight of Australian crowds. Usually fielding at mid-off, Gilligan not only saved many hot drives, but often brought the crowd to its feet by taking some truly miraculous catches. Lovers of the game in Sydney will never forget his glorious effort in catching Jack Gregory, who drove a ball hard and waist-high between the bowler and mid-off. Gilligan, running at full speed, threw himself parallel to the ground to hold a magnificent catch with his left hand under his body while falling to the ground, and spinning like a top. Gregory, half-way down the pitch, in attempting to run, pulled up and signified his admiration for the effort by clapping his hand on the blade of his bat.

Wilfred Rhodes! The mere mention of the name stirs our memories. I first met him at Bramall Lane, Sheffield, when I was playing for the A. I. F. team against Yorkshire. He immediately impressed me as a keen student and wonderful bowler. I observed that he was constantly changing his field, and in almost every instance to advantage. That was in 1919.

He came to Australia a year later with Johnny Douglas' team, but he did not have the same terrors for us. We quickly realised that this type of bowling was not half as effective on our hard wickets. However, he never lost his guile, as I found to my cost in a test match at Melbourne, when he encouraged me to hit with his lofty deliveries, but suddenly trapped me with a ball which he flighted admirably, pitching it a foot shorter than the previous ball, so that he made a somewhat easy catch off my dismal stroke.

He was a typical Yorkshireman, and gave of his best at a pinch. His rise to opening batsman from the position of last man in was an illustration of his determination and outstanding ability. Older internationals who played against him in Melbourne in 1912 have often told me of his partnership with Hobbs when they made 323 runs for the first wicket— a record which still stands.

Rhodes, after, a long absence from the test arena, yielded to the earnest and pressing appeals of his co-selectors and staged a remarkable 'comeback' in the final test of 1926 at the Oval, where his left-hand spinners and guile largely were responsible for England's great victory, which meant the regaining of the ashes. His share of the victory was six wickets for 79 runs for the match.

From the Graces' County of Gloucestershire Walter Hammond came into the Test arena as an imposing figure and a perfect athlete. Australians are not likely to forget his first visit to this country in 1928, when he proved such a terrific run-getter. Double centuries flowed from his bat and in all the Test matches of that season he proved a nightmare, especially as our cricket was not then at its best.

In the fourth Test, at Adelaide, Hammond equalled the record shared by Sutcliffe and Bardsley of scoring a century in each innings of a Test match. Once again Adelaide was the scene of the best in batsmanship for in addition to Hammond's two dazzling centuries.

Archie Jackson, playing in his first Test, at the age of 18 startled the cricket world by compiling a crisp and delightful 164 runs. Those of us who were fortunate enough to be there will always remember not only his elegance but also the glorious drive between point and cover he made off Larwood in going from 96 to the century.

These displays by Hammond and Jackson were the champagne of stroke play. Since that season Hammond lias been a regular member of England's Test teams. On many a night in hotel lounges I have conferred with members of our side, puzzling out the best means of trapping him on the following day.

How Our Bowlers Attack Hammond.

In view of his gifts, it is strange hat he has always revealed a definte weakness for on-side play. This fact was never overlooked by Australian teams that I have played with, and we have always concentrated as far as possible on attacking this weakness. As late as the first Test match in Brisbane, in 1936, Hammond lost his wicket first ball to McCormick, who, according to arrangement, immediately attacked the leg stump.

He has succeeded to a greater degree in Australia than against the same bowlers under English condiions. I recall Grimmett's elation when he claimed his wicket in each innings of the first and second Tests of the 1930 tour at Nottingham and Lord's.

"He made hundreds of runs against me in Australia, and I did not get his wicket once", said Grimmett. "But low I have got him four times in the first two Tests."

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Since reading about Charles Kortright bowling '6 Byes' I've been trying to find out how far back the keeper stood to his bowling; mainly to get a better idea as to how fast he really did bowl.

In the following piece the journalist and author EHD Sewell reports that the wicket-keeper stood back some 15 yards behind the stumps. This is a fair distance and implies that Kortright was in fact genuinely fast. I can't find anything stating how far back modern keepers stand but the following video shows Gilchrist standing 20-22 yards behind the stumps to Brett Lee bowling close to 160 kph. The distance can be guessed because the 'Circle' used in ODI games is exactly 30 yards from the stumps.

If we believe the eye-witness records, and Dr Barbour, then by 1934 the fastest bowlers of 'all time' (in order of speed) were reckoned to be;

1. Charles Kortright
2. Ernie Jones
3. Tibby Cotter
4. Harvey Fellows
5. Harold Larwood and the rest.

Personally, I don't think that this list is correct because I don't see how the first 4 bowlers could be quicker than Larwood or Gregory in reality. However, it does make you think - do we under-estimate the speed of the Pre-WW1 and Pre-WW2 bowlers relative to modern fast bowlers?

Sydney Mail (NSW : 1912 - 1938), Wednesday 13 June 1934, page 28

The Fastest Bowler of All

By Dr. Eric P. Barbour.

The trail of destruction left by Larwood during the last Test series has given fresh life to a very old controversy as to who is actually the fastest bowler in the history of cricket. That history, of course, goes back to the Middle Ages; but as, prior to 1750, all bowling was of the grubber variety it seems that the search for really fast bowling must commence after that date. The formation of the Hambledon club in that year synchronises with the introduction by David Harris of good length 'one-hop' bowling, an innovation which did more for cricket than any before or since. But bowling was still all underarm, and it seems difficult for us to realise that there could have been bowlers of that type who were really fast in the modern sense of the word.

THE first was GEORGE OSBALDESTON, who made his first appearance for the M.C.C. in 1808 and was considered the fastest who had yet been seen. Osbaldeston's name, however, is chiefly remembered for his association with the famous single wicket match in which he and Lambert, a great all-round professional, were to meet Lord Frederick Beauclerk and Howard for fifty guineas. Osbaldeston became ill on the morning of the match and his lordship claimed the forfeit of the stake, but Lambert played the other two singlehanded and defeated them by fourteen runs.

Ten years after Osbaldeston came GEORGE BROWN, who like a mediaeval Don Blackie played his first big match at the age of 35. Standing 6ft 3in and weighing 16 stone, Brown must have been really fast. He always had two long-stops, and nearly all the fieldsmen behind the wicket. A diminutive long-stop once appeared to field to Brown's bowling with a sack of straw held in front of his body. This is authentic but "W.G.'s" anecdote about the ball passing through a coat and killing a dog on the other side is harder to believe. But 'W.G.' was quite serious when he said that older cricketers of his day regarded Brown at his best as faster than Jackson, Tarrant, or Freeman, the leading English fast bowlers of fifty years later.

JOHN WILLIS, or his sister, introduced round-arm bowling in 1822, and among the first to bowl really fast with the new action were SIR FREDERICK BATHURST and the famous ALFRED MYNN. The latter, a genial giant weighing 18 stone, is of the legendary figures of cricket history. The idol of the Kentish crowds, he was almost equally popular all over England, and as well as being the hardest-hitting batsman of his day he was the fastest bowler and the most erratic.

The next two notable fast bowlers were W. MARCON and H. W. FELLOWS, who appeared together for Eton in 1841. Each bowled with a very low arm, and was something between under-arm and round-arm. 'W.G.' records of Fellows that he once knocked a stump into the arms of the wicket-keeper, standing back eleven yards.

Marcon was supposed to have broken a batsman's leg at Oxford, and 'W.G.' writes graphically of his appearance in 1846 against the West Gloucestershire eleven:

'Their wickets went down like ninepins, and half the batsmen never saw the ball when he bowled. Every fieldsman was behind the wicket, and there were two long-stops; the first stood fifteen yards behind, and was supposed to be the wicket-keeper, and the second about thirty yards further away. Mr. Marcon did not trouble about the length of the ball. He aimed at the wicket, and the ball flew straight from his hand to it without touching the ground, and nearly every time it hit the bottom of the stump the stump was smashed. Runs were scored now and then from a snick to leg or slip, but not one of them could hit him in front of the wicket. A member of the team said it could be done — ought to be done, and he would do it! His method was not to ground the bat, but to have it in the air before the ball was delivered. He stood waiting with the bat in the air, ready to hit. Mr. Marcon came with a rush and our enterprising member hit. The ball struck the bat high up about the shoulder, and bat and ball went right through the wicket.'

It looks as though we must either admit Mr. Marcon to the select company of 'super-speed merchants' or else exclude 'W.G.' from the category of reliable historians. For my part, I should have liked to have seen Charlie Macartney with his 'heavy bat' in action for the West Gloucestershire eleven on that occasion.

'Tear'em Tarrant'

FROM 1860 to 1890 there were quite a number of really fast bowlers in English cricket, including Jackson, Tarrant, Freeman, Macintyre, Hill, Crossland, and Morley.

The Fastest Bowler of All

GEORGE FREEMAN was a sturdy Yorkshireman weighing 14 stone in condition. W. G. Grace described him thus:

'The best fast bowler, though not perhaps the fastest, I ever played against.'

Freeman had a beautiful action, although his arm was low. His chief attribute was his remarkable pace from the pitch, and he took many wickets with balls which kept low. In this particular respect he was resembled by a modern in F. R. Foster, who could be defined as a medium-pace bowler until the ball hit the pitch, and from then on a fast bowler. Freeman and Emmett were a wonderful combination for Yorkshire.

GEORGE TARRANT, who played for Cambridgeshire as well as for the all-England eleven, is one of the most intriguing of the shades of the past, if only for the fact that the fastest bowler of his day was only 5ft 7in in height and weighed but 9st 71b. What he lacked in physique he made up in physical energy. He took a very long run, 'all over the place,' says 'W.G.,' and his long-hops often bounced over the batsman's head. (Tarrant was known far and wide by the appropriate nickname 'Tear'em.' His unbounded energy never seemed to flag, but it probably contributed in no small measure to his early death, which took place at the age of 31.

CROSSLAND was another of this period who had plenty of pace; but his action was not above suspicion. In fact, the main question seemed to be whether he threw every ball or only three out of four. For a while he escaped the umpires' attention, but eventually was black-balled, if not no-balled, as regards first-class cricket, and I think it was the late Lord Harris who took the initiative in the matter.

MOLD, the leading English fast bowler about 1890, also suffered much hostile criticism on the score of his action. He was followed by one whom many of the soundest critics regard as the best fast bowler of all time, TOM RICHARDSON, of Surrey.

Richardson was a man of immense physique; C. B. Fry once wrote that he had 'Damascus steel fittings' to his shoulders. In four seasons, 1894 to 1897 inclusive, he took over a thousand wickets in first-class cricket. There was little finesse about Richardson's bowling; he had not the brain power of Spofforth, the flightiness or change of pace of Lockwood. But he was a wonderfully natural bowler, with the endurance of a horse and the courage of a lion. The most extraordinary feature of Richardson's fast bowling was that he had a natural or action break which made the ball turn in appreciably from the off on the hardest of wickets. Seldom, if ever, did Richardson bowl short, and he cared nothing for off or leg theory. His aim was always to clean bowl the batsman.

CONTEMPORARY with Richardson was W. H. LOCKWOOD, and P. F. Warner for one has stated that on his day Lockwood was even the greater of the two. Lockwood's chief danger lay not in his extreme pace, though he was fast enough, but in something in his action which made the ball behave peculiarly in the air. He also had a remarkably well disguised slow ball, which made his faster ones even more effective. Lockwood was inclined to be temperamental and lacked Richardson's consistency, but there is no doubt that he was not only one of the fastest, but one of the best bowlers that cricket has known.

"The Demon"

IN discussing fast bowlers so far I have omitted mention of F. R. Spofforth because he was not in the true sense of the word a fast bowler. Early in his career 'The Demon' certainly exploited pace alone, but before he made his first trip to England he was an allpaced bowler; in fact, he was three bowlers in one. Lockwood, like Spofforth, possessed deceptive variety, and was not essentially a fast bowler, though he would have been worth a place in a Test side for his pace and accuracy alone.

A contemporary of Richardson and Lockwood, and faster than either, was C. J. KORTRIGHT, the Essex amateur. Everyone who has played against Kortright testifies to his tremendous speed, but as a consistent taker of wickets he could not compare with the Surrey pair. It seems strange at first sight that a bowler of Kortright's great pace never played in a Test against Australia; but when we consider that either Richardson or Lockwood or both were always available for selection it is easily understood that Kortright would have to achieve miracles to get into a Test side.

E. H. D Sewell relates that Kortright once knocked a stump over the head of the wicket-keeper standing fifteen yards back. How fast he would have appeared on Australian wickets we can only conjecture, but Sewell is emphatic that no modern bowler comes anywhere near Kortright in actual pace.

BUT Australia in 1896 sent home one whose pace was at least worthy of comparison with that of Kortright or any other bowler of history. That was ERNEST JONES, a great bowler and an even greater fieldsman at mid-off. The first ball he bowled to 'W.G.' in the Lord's Test went through the batsman's beard for four byes, whereupon the 'Old Man' walked up the pitch and said in his high-pitched, querulous voice, 'Look here, Jonah, what the hell do you think you're doing? and Jonah replied, 'Sorry, Doctor; it must have slipped!'

THS fastest English bowler of this period was WALTER BREARLEY, of Lancashire. Brearley had no peculiarity of flight as Lockwood had, nor Richardson's action-break. His chief asset was his extraordinary physical fitness and power of endurance. On one occasion he bowled at Canterbury from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., with only the usual luncheon and tea intervals. Brearley's run was only about eight yards in length, and the first four steps were walking steps only.

He had a high delivery and could make the ball rise sharply from a good length, but in actual pace he will not rank with the fastest. I do not think it possible for any bowler with a very short run to achieve the same pace as those who take the longer run, unless he is a 'chucker.' Brearley was a very fine bowler, and his seventeen Test wickets cost only twenty runs apiece, an usually good average for a fast bowler.

"Tibby" Colter

IN ALBERT ('TIBBY') COTTER Australia had a bowler who was distinctly faster than Brearley. He had a beautiful run-up and a low, graceful, slinging delivery, in which the momentum gained from the run and the power of back and shoulder muscles were perfectly blended.

In his early days Cotter was inclined to be erratic, both in length and direction. Later his chief fault was that he was too accurate. I batted against him for over two hours on one occasion at Wentworth Park and received only one ball outside the leg stump. Apart from his speed, Cotter could use the new ball for swinging more effectively than any fast bowler I have seen. The unusual power of his shoulders was demonstrated when he had to chase a ball to the boundary. Even on the largest grounds he would, from a standing position, bowl the ball into the 'keeper's hands on the full.

Fast bowlers have been few and far between since the war. In England LARWOOD alone has been good enough or fast enough to compare with the giants of the past. In Australia we have had Gregory, Macdonald, and Wall.

J. M. GREGORY at his top was not very far below Cotter in pace. He used up tremendous energy in his delivery, and came down so hard on his left foot that a knee injury developed early in his career. It is probable that Australians have never seen Gregory bowl as fast as he bowled in England in 1921.

E. A. MACDONALD, one of the very finest bowlers Australia has ever had, could and did bowl very fast on occasions. But for the main part he used a variety of paces, like Spofforth and Lockwood, and was in consequence a valuable foil to Gregory, who bowled fast all the time.

Macdonald once took seven wickets in an innings by bowling which never rose above medium pace. Strangely enough, it was against Lancashire, the county for which Macdonald afterwards performed such prodigious feats; or perhaps not so strangely, seeing that this particular performance may well have influenced Lancashire to make him an attractive offer.

H. LARWOOD we have all seen. We saw him by pace alone crash through Australia's uncertain batting in the earlier Tests of 1928-29. At Brisbane and Sydney he looked a speed demon. Later, at Adelaide and at Melbourne, he looked just an ordinary fast bowler. In England in 1930 his pace was never devastating and he met with little success against Australia.

During the 1932-33 season he undoubtedly recovered the pace which he showed at the beginning of the 1928 tour. In the first Test I thought he looked even faster, and was prepared to say that his pace was comparable to that of Jones and Cotter. But having watched him through a whole season I am satisfied that my first impressions were wrong. Larwood is not as fast as Cotter or Jones. If he had been, most of the Australian eleven would have been in hospital or in the cemetery before the close of the season.

WALL'S pace, though it seems to have improved year by year, is appreciably short of that of Larwood, also of Gregory. Alexander, Thurlow, Nash, Theak, and Stewart are, again, a degree below Wall in pace. Eddie Gilbert a year or two ago bowled faster in Brisbane than any Australian since the war; but all the leading batsmen of other States are emphatic that his delivery was illegal. Last season, owing to an injury, Gilbert lost a great deal of his pace and was only a fast-medium bowler. Mention of Gilbert reminds me that I have not included in the foregoing list the names of Henry, the Queensland aboriginal who used to field long-stop to his own bowling, and Jack Marsh, the dusky Sydney trundler who, if he did not throw, was on his day a wonderful bowler. Henry was faster than Marsh, but neither would approach Cotter in speed.

Kortright Fast

NOW, of this galaxy of speed merchants, from Osbaleston (1808) to Larwood (1933), whom are we to select as the fastest? The task is not an easy one. No present-day critic can go back as far as Marcon and Fellows. We are dependent to a great extent on the expressed views of those who may be taken as authorities for the pace of the ancients, and chiefly, I think, to W. G. Grace, who by reason of his prodigious scoring feats had much more actual experience of the pace of bowlers than any of his contemporaries. "W.G." told E. H. D. Sewell that Fellows was the fastest bowler he ever played against; that both Freeman and Tarrant were very fast, and that Kortright was the fastest.

THE ancients are brought more into line with the moderns by "W.G.'s" statement that 'Tear'em' Tarrant was quite as fast as Richardson, if not faster. Richardson, by common consent among experts, was not as fast as Kortright, Jones, or Cotter. P. F. Warner thinks that Kortright at his best was a little faster than Jones, Cotter, and Kotze.

M. A. Noble will not have Kotze in the same category as the others, while 'Jonah' himself, when asked his opinion, said, without mock modesty, 'There is no doubt about it— Kortright was the fastest, and I was next.'

Having sifted all the available evidence with regard to the ancients, and adjusting to it both my own observation of the modern and the opinion of expert critics, I have come to the conclusion that there are five bowlers who may be considered as the fastest, each of his own period. They are Fellows, Kortright, Jones, Cotter, and Larwood.

In an attempt to place them in order of pace I would place Kortright first, with Jones a yard or so slower, Cotter close up to Jones, Fellows perhaps a yard slower than Cotter, then Larwood in a group which might include Gregory, Kotze, Freeman, Tarrant, Lockwood, Richardson, and Marcon.

I cannot attempt to place George Brown, the underarm express. Frankly, I cannot swallow the stories that are told about him. And modern fast bowlers have enough to bear without being told that an under-arm bowler was faster than any of them.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...m=Tom richardson fast bow ler&searchLimits=#

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Barbour died the same year of that article, which is the least impressive I've seen in this thread as it betrays a generational bias imo. Also his rankings don't sound credible to me and for the reasons you mention. Keepers seem to have stood a little closer back in the day than they do now. Not sure why. I think a more telling measure a bowler's speed is the depth of the slips. I've seen some film and photos of 1st slip in particular standing much further behind the keeper than they do now.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Gilbert being no-balled was a conspircacy headed by Bradman to maintain his reputation coz Gilbert skittled him for fun

I'm a Gilbert-truther

the big bambino

International Captain
imho I think Eddie's action was ok. Stamina was his main but overlooked problem. That would be telling in timeless tests. You'd have to pick an extra bowler as cover and he'd have to deliver more times than he proved capable at fc level.

mr_mister

and I'm not one to usually care about grammar and punctuation but **** me that Mailey article was a goddamn chore to read. Literally the biggest wall of text I've ever finished. Great stuff but next time a few taps of the enter key wouldn't hurt

watson

Banned
Barbour died the same year of that article, which is the least impressive I've seen in this thread as it betrays a generational bias imo. Also his rankings don't sound credible to me and for the reasons you mention. Keepers seem to have stood a little closer back in the day than they do now. Not sure why. I think a more telling measure a bowler's speed is the depth of the slips. I've seen some film and photos of 1st slip in particular standing much further behind the keeper than they do now.
I still like to think that Kortright, Richardson, Jones, and Cotter bowled consistently around the 135-140 kph mark despite the accounts and stories seeming to be apocryphal.

watson

Banned
The best of the Pre WW2 players....

WOOLLEY AS CRICKETS ICONOCLAST

Throws W. G. Grace and Don Bradman Into Discard

By J. C. DAVIS ('Not Out'), 14 May 1936

FRANK WOOLLEY, entering the field of cricket authorship, creates an anomalous diversion. His selection of a world's cricket team, covering all periods, is iconoclastic. It is refreshing, and impishly unreasoning, since he casts the greatest all-round cricketer of all time, W. G. Grace, the Goliath aside, and with him thrusts Don Bradman the wonder of our time.

In explaining that Bradman has not been a success after rain, Woolley is on soft ground! Perhaps he means sticky wickets, that is, turf affected by rain, and then rendered sticky by the sun. But if he means actually what he says; that is, wickets after rain has fallen, FW makes a very wide miss. If sticky wickets are meant, then how many batsmen living to-day have proved their powers on them? We do not see those wickets in first-class cricket in Australia now that the pitch is protected. If Bradman had the right experience on them then he would master their idiosyncrasies as he has mastered every other problem in batting. Victor Trumper and Johnny Tyldesley were the world's masters in their countries on volcanic pitches of that sort.

Frank Woolley's team is;

Trumper
Hobbs
Ranjitsinhji
J. T. Tyldesley
Macartney
J. R.Mason, capt (a fellow cricketer of Kent)
F. R. Foster
Oldfield
Larwood
S. F. Barnes
Blythe

THE BEST EVER

Rarely will you find two cricketers agreeing on any eleven as the world's best.

The following would be as great and 'gutzy' combination of batting, bowling, and fielding, linked with high grade leadership as any that could be named. They are mentioned in the order of batting;

W. G. Grace,
J. B. Hobbs
V. Trumper
D. G. Bradman
K. S. Ranjitsinhji
M. A. Noble (capt.)
W. W. Armstrong
R. Peel
W. A. Oldfield
F. R. Spofforth
S. F. Barnes

This would exclude six whom Frank Woolley puts into his eleven. In giving the leadership to J. R. Mason, the Kentish all-rounder, who visited Australia once, he names one who never captained England. This selection of world teams has always been fascinating to cricketers. It 'gets' them, though the youngsters are unable to assess from personal knowledge the actual qualities of the old players such as W. G. Grace and even Victor Trumper.

A youthful first grade player said to me a few days ago: "How is it that the batting averages of Don Bradman are ever so much greater than those of W. G. Grace and Victor Trumper; and yet old cricketers place Grace and Trumper so high on the list of the greatest ever?"

I countered by asking him, "How is it that so many critics to day are saying that O'Reilly and Grimmett are the best ever, yet their figures are not so impressive as those of Spofforth, Turner, Peel, Lohmann and other men of high distinction in Test cricket?"

MAYBE JUST AS STRONG

A second eleven of the world might actually be just as formidable as the first with every man a luminary and an outstanding champion under English conditions. Such a team might be;

C. B. Fry
W. Bardsley
A. C. MacLaren
C. G. Macartney
Hon. F.S. Jackson
G. A. Faulkner
F. R. Foster
A. A. Lilley
G. A. Lohmann
C. T. B. Turner
T. Richardson

Cricketers today might ask who George Lohmann was? A man of Surrey, he was a right-hand medium-pace bowler, perfect length, varied flight, pace, and length, master of the off and leg break with a real bowler's head. One of the most distinctive great bowlers International cricket has seen. He was the greatest slip fieldsman of his time — possibly of all time - and also a very fair punishing batsman who could be quite good at the pinch. He once captured 8 for 35 in a Test innings in Sydney.

ANOTHER GOOD ONE

A third team might be quite as powerful on any kind of wicket as either of the others. Such a one in the order of .batting might be:—

T. Hayward
W. H. Ponsford
C. Hill
W. L. Murdoch
J. T. Tyldesley
G. Giffen
J. B. King
G. H. Hirst
H. V. Hordern
J. M. BIackham
C. BIythe

Not many of the above are known to the younger cricketers of our times. But they were all champions of their types in their day, and would have been champions in any day. J. B. King was the American fast bowler and batsman. C. Blythe was as fine a left-hand slow medium bowler as we have seen. George Hirst another left-hand bowler, fast and round the wicket, was a great allrounder, for he was a high-grade right-hand batsman. W. L. Murdoch, Australian champion of the eighties would be the captain of this team. If they could enter the field against either, of the others there would be little or no odds against, them.

AND A FOURTH

Having picked three teams, think of the magnificent players not included. Could we not select an eleven from those who would have practically a level chance of turning the victory with any of them. Here is such a team:—

H. Sutcliffe
Arthur Shrewsbury
Stan McCabe
W. R. Hammond
George Headley
V. S. Ransford
L. N. Constantine
L. E. Ames
J. M. Gregory
W. J. O'Reilly
J. J. Ferris

The above teams are named for English conditions. And yet excluded ones include W. Lockwood, wonderful fast bowler, Harold Larwood, the fastest test bowler of recent years, E. A. McDonald, the fast-bowling partner of J. M: Gregory and Woolley himself, another great all-rounder.

As an author Frank Woolley has turned on controversial torrents by omitting Don Bradman and W. G. Grace. The waves of this pleasant little controversy will sweep right round the world and create no end of entertainment. Readers are invited to send us their views on this captivating armchair topic. Wo will make room for their opinions, if not too lengthy.

14 May 1936 - WOOLLEY AS CRICKET'S ICONOCLAST - Trove

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
An Old New Zealand player by the name of Daniel Reese had a book titled "Was It All Cricket?" and it's available online via this link

There's a lot of great first hand accounts of some players from the early 1900's and even before then

watson

Banned
An Old New Zealand player by the name of Daniel Reese had a book titled "Was It All Cricket?" and it's available online via this link

There's a lot of great first hand accounts of some players from the early 1900's and even before then
Just read chapter 33, 'The Games Greatest Players'. Very enjoyable, thanks.

Starfighter

I thought of Robinson's opinion of McCormick while reading the Wilfred Brookes' article on the 1938 Australians in 39's Wisden. He is rather uncomplimentary tstl.
Before McCormick came to England, he was acclaimed as the fastest bowler in Australia. Further, one of the party stated when the tour had in progress a few weeks that McCormick was the fastest Australian bowler ever sent to England. That, of course, was exaggeration and after seeing a good deal of his bowling one was inclined to the opinion that McCormick was the most overrated bowler ever to come here. Most emphatically, he was the greatest disappointment of the tour. A plethora of no-balls in the opening match against Worcestershire, when he was called for over-stepping the crease nineteen times in his first three overs - an occurrence without precedent - and altogether thirty-five times in the match, was at first thought to be due to nerves or over anxiety to do well. He tried a run of thirty yards, cut it down and spent a lot of time in practicing his run-up to the wicket but not with good results. In the desire to attain exceptional speed, he could not entirely eradicate his fault and continued to break law 11. Apart from two performances at Lord's, where against Middlesex he took six wickets for 58 and in the Test match he bowled with marked success at the start of each England innings, McCormick accomplished nothing noteworthy, but despite his inability to do himself justice and consequent disappointment, he always accepted the umpire's decision in a very sporting spirit. Indeed, he polished to the officials at Worcester for giving them so much trouble. Although figuring in eighteen matches, he took no more than thirty-four wickets, and all but six of those were secured during May and June. If now and again he sent down a fast in-swinger, he failed to produce the out-swinger.

the big bambino

International Captain
His problem on that tour was lumbago. It was the selector's fault for failing to pick support for him. Really they should've bypassed the Vic selectors and picked Nash straight out of grade cricket for the tour and substituted White with Grimmett.

JBMAC

State Captain
Reckon there might've been a bit of subtle racism going on there.
No subtilty about it.Gilbert had to get written permission to leave Aboriginal Reserve at Cherbourg (QLD) just to play a game.QLD Cricket Aasn insisted