• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Luckiest player to make it to test cricket?

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
:lol: :lol:
Never rated Trescothick, not only one of the luckiest players to get there, one of the luckiest players to keep his place.
Dropped on 3 on his debut, dropped on 7 in his 4th innings - if his scores had read 3, 38*, 1, 7, 7 in his first series I highly doubt he'd have got the chance to go and average 24 in Pakistan. Even if his first series had happened like it did, he still could have been dropped in Sri Lanka if Aravinda hadn't twice suffered from butter-fingers in that Galle Test.
Trescothick is one of the luckiest players I've ever seen.
I know what you mean but some people are born like that, with all the luck, that's just life. I would much prefer an englishman to get dropped rather than an australian though!
To be fair to Trescothick if he were more consistent he would be absolute class and he doesn't always get dropped by any means!

Craig

World Traveller
Yes. Three Tests.

Last Test was against New Zealand at The Oval in 1999. Oh what a great tour by New Zealand in 1999 :D :D although not at Edgbatson :( . Talk about choking.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
You're kidding, right?:O :O

RONNIE IRANI!

For him to play 3 Test matches, let alone one, is ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Watson in the First-Class game isn't too bad.
Certainly I reckon better than Khaled Mahmud, Harvey or Irani.
Though in the one-day game not as good as any.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
If we aretalking about players who are lucky, I would say Virender Sehwag....must be the luckiest cricketer alive.

If we are talking about cricketers who were lucky to get picked.....there are so many, I couldn't name them all.

Craig

World Traveller
Nathan Bracken is another. I guess people like Taylor, Edwards, Lawsons, Dwayne Smith were all lucky to be picked due to their lack of FC games. Not so much their results.

tooextracool

International Coach
unluckiest player= gavin hamilton, got a pair in his first test on a dodgy pitch and was never selected after that

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
unluckiest player= gavin hamilton, got a pair in his first test on a dodgy pitch and was never selected after that
well to be honest he wasnt of test standard anyway...felt sorry for him when he got the yips though

Swervy

International Captain
A couple of unlucky players from England were Andy lloyd and Paul Terry. Both were pretty good batsmen who had the honour of making their debuts vs WI in 1984.

Lloyd batted for a bit and got hit on his helmetted head, and retired injured and never played for England again.

Terry,a couple of games later, in either his first test or his second had his arm broken whilst batting (I seem to remember him coming back out to bat to help an England player get a hundred...probably Lamb as he was the only one who did well that year)...and never played for England again

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Ronni Irani shouldn't even make it into essex, he bowls like a complete sissy, and he can't hit a four to save his life.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:
Ashish Nehra, MSK Prasad, Vijay Bharadwaj, Hrishikesh Kanitkar, Brendon Julian, Shahid Afridi, Shadab Kabir, Hasan Raza, Shahid Nazir

All of these guys had a lot of talent, and even after poor performances were persisted with.

Im glad most of these guys got the chop (except Nehra).
Hasan Raza?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Armadillo said:
Ronni Irani shouldn't even make it into essex, he bowls like a complete sissy, and he can't hit a four to save his life.
His bowling has allways had something about it. Yes, he bowls off the wrong foot with a round-arm action and he's not that fast, but he can swing the ball and seems to get the ball into the right areas a lot. I remember his purple patch a few years ago, he couldn't get out and his bowling, despite appearing exactly the same as before, suddenly became unplayable.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Fidel Edwards must be the luckiest current player...

Poor debut, forgotten by Barbados and then suddenly he's in the West Indies team after impressing Lara in the nets...that's lucky!

Had a good start but really has shown his lack of experiance, could come good but might go the way his half-(brother/cousin?) Pedro Collins has.