Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA 12th team in Champions Trophy

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

USA 12th team in Champions Trophy

Yup. That's right. The mighty Americans have invaded cricket too, winning the Six Nations Challenge in UAE by net run rate and pipping Scotland for a place.

This tournament had certain problems, though. A qualifying tournament without the best players makes no sense at all. Canada couldn't play with John Davison, even though he would have played in the CT (and made a world of difference). Now, they went 0-5.

Oh well. Do you think that this could increase the status of cricket in the USA? Or would it pass unnoticed, as Norway's recent success on the cricketing pitches?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Re: USA 12th team in Champions Trophy

Originally posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Yup. That's right. The mighty Americans have invaded cricket too, winning the Six Nations Challenge in UAE by net run rate and pipping Scotland for a place.

This tournament had certain problems, though. A qualifying tournament without the best players makes no sense at all. Canada couldn't play with John Davison, even though he would have played in the CT (and made a world of difference). Now, they went 0-5.

Oh well. Do you think that this could increase the status of cricket in the USA? Or would it pass unnoticed, as Norway's recent success on the cricketing pitches?
    Wouldn't create much interest among the natives but i think there will be more participation now from the immigrants of Cricket playing countries as it would strike them that they can indeed play intl cricket if they work hard at this. I bet Cricket can hold it's own in US with the support of immigrants itself as the Indian immigrants are the richest community in the US and there are already reports that Contracts are being offered in US Cricket Leagues of upto $60,000. It just needs an encouragement like US qualifying in the WC and an Indian match in the US.

Wow done to them. I hope they do ok.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    wonder how many of those players in the us cricket team are actually indian or of indian origin
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Originally posted by tooextracool
    wonder how many of those players in the us cricket team are actually indian or of indian origin
    Just one i think. Many of them are from Carribbean islands

Originally posted by Craig
    Wow done to them. I hope they do ok.
    And they get some publicity in America. It could be a new growth area.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Rik will be glad that they wont play England as it will be a conflict of interest for him which to want to win.

Then again if he's anygood, he should try and get in the team

I don't think the Americans will take to this game any time soon. 20 over games may work but the ICC may be too rigid for this. First they should make efforts to make the immigrants participate in Cricke and then take it from there. Rik will be the better one to say on this.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    It will be good for Cricket

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Let me suffice it to say; it will take more than one qualification for a major (ish) tournament to stimulate interest in the game.
    Americans living in America have been for God knows how long interested by-and-large only in their own team sports (baseball, basketball and their excuse for football ).
    Individual sports like golf and tennis is different, but I don't think cricket can realistically aim higher than the level rugby and football attain there.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    The Icc have to sell right to American TV Channels

Good on the USA for getting into a tournament against the best cricketing nations. At least it gives the Aussie's a chance to thrash them at something.....

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Originally posted by vishnureddy
    Just one i think. Many of them are from Carribbean islands
    Its 3 actuallly. And the rest are from Pakistan and majority from the Carribean.

Rik
    People asking for my views? Well I'll throw in my few cents

Most of the USA players arn't actually American, so I doubt it will do anything for Cricket in America. As for the conflict of interists...nah I'd back England all the way, though I have a keen interist in American Cricket, just as I have for Zimbabwean Cricket.

As for their players, Clayton Lambert, the former West Indies biffer bats in the middle order, but I'm surprised Everton Matambanadzo and Brighton Watambwa arn't playing, since they emigrated to the US. Maybe they did an "Olonga" and gave up cricket when they moved over, following other interists perhaps, but reports hardly suggest Lambert is full-time, in more ways than one!

I'm disapointed Scotland didn't get through, since they have some very useful players, Brown, Hamilton, Blain (who bowled beutifully throughout) and Brinkley.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Lambert batting in the middle?
    Now I'm sure Liam will correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he an opener all his top-level career?
    Also, isn't he the best player in the side, surely? So why is he not batting in his own position?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information