• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA 12th team in Champions Trophy

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yup. That's right. The mighty Americans have invaded cricket too, winning the Six Nations Challenge in UAE by net run rate and pipping Scotland for a place.

This tournament had certain problems, though. A qualifying tournament without the best players makes no sense at all. Canada couldn't play with John Davison, even though he would have played in the CT (and made a world of difference). Now, they went 0-5.

Oh well. Do you think that this could increase the status of cricket in the USA? Or would it pass unnoticed, as Norway's recent success on the cricketing pitches?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yup. That's right. The mighty Americans have invaded cricket too, winning the Six Nations Challenge in UAE by net run rate and pipping Scotland for a place.

This tournament had certain problems, though. A qualifying tournament without the best players makes no sense at all. Canada couldn't play with John Davison, even though he would have played in the CT (and made a world of difference). Now, they went 0-5.

Oh well. Do you think that this could increase the status of cricket in the USA? Or would it pass unnoticed, as Norway's recent success on the cricketing pitches?
Wouldn't create much interest among the natives but i think there will be more participation now from the immigrants of Cricket playing countries as it would strike them that they can indeed play intl cricket if they work hard at this. I bet Cricket can hold it's own in US with the support of immigrants itself as the Indian immigrants are the richest community in the US and there are already reports that Contracts are being offered in US Cricket Leagues of upto $60,000. It just needs an encouragement like US qualifying in the WC and an Indian match in the US.

V Reddy

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
wonder how many of those players in the us cricket team are actually indian or of indian origin
Just one i think. Many of them are from Carribbean islands

Craig

World Traveller
Rik will be glad that they wont play England as it will be a conflict of interest for him which to want to win.

Then again if he's anygood, he should try and get in the team :D

V Reddy

International Debutant
I don't think the Americans will take to this game any time soon. 20 over games may work but the ICC may be too rigid for this. First they should make efforts to make the immigrants participate in Cricke and then take it from there. Rik will be the better one to say on this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let me suffice it to say; it will take more than one qualification for a major (ish) tournament to stimulate interest in the game.
Americans living in America have been for God knows how long interested by-and-large only in their own team sports (baseball, basketball and their excuse for football :D ).
Individual sports like golf and tennis is different, but I don't think cricket can realistically aim higher than the level rugby and football attain there.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Good on the USA for getting into a tournament against the best cricketing nations. At least it gives the Aussie's a chance to thrash them at something.....:D :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
People asking for my views? Well I'll throw in my few cents ;)

Most of the USA players arn't actually American, so I doubt it will do anything for Cricket in America. As for the conflict of interists...nah I'd back England all the way, though I have a keen interist in American Cricket, just as I have for Zimbabwean Cricket.

As for their players, Clayton Lambert, the former West Indies biffer bats in the middle order, but I'm surprised Everton Matambanadzo and Brighton Watambwa arn't playing, since they emigrated to the US. Maybe they did an "Olonga" and gave up cricket when they moved over, following other interists perhaps, but reports hardly suggest Lambert is full-time, in more ways than one!

I'm disapointed Scotland didn't get through, since they have some very useful players, Brown, Hamilton, Blain (who bowled beutifully throughout) and Brinkley.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lambert batting in the middle?
Now I'm sure Liam will correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he an opener all his top-level career?
Also, isn't he the best player in the side, surely? So why is he not batting in his own position?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure that the reason he is batting in the middle is the same reason that Lara (IMO) gave up opening the batting - to lend stability to the middle order. If Lambert were to open the batting and get out early, the USA would likely not thrive as well as if he were to come in against the older ball and shepherd through the other players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if he were to come in in the middle and get out early, the other players wouldn't have anyone to shephard them...
Was Lara ever really an opener, then? I always thought he just did what Tendulkar's done a lot of, come in at the top to give himself as much time to bat as poss.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't remember Lara ever opening the batting!! I didn't think he'd ever done it!

Lambert isn't exactly a typical opener. Even by West Indian standards in those days he was a bit of a slogger. Got away with it in domestic cricket but was found out in International Cricket, in the same way that a village-green slogger would, except Lambert did have a good eye and a little bit of style.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
And if he were to come in in the middle and fet out early, the other players wouldn't have anyone to shephard them...
Yes, but when he gets out, they would likely be some runs on the board and he'd, in theory, be less likely to get out cheaply because he'd be facing the older ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

B.C. Lara opening the batting.

Tests
2 Matches
2 Inns
0 NOs
111 runs
55.50 Avge
HS - 91

ODIs
50 Matches
50 Inns
5 NOs
2108 runs
46.84 Avge
5x100
14x50
HS - 153

Involved in a 152-run partnership with Haynes in 1992/92, an unbroken 175-run partnership w/Haynes in 1991/92, an unbroken 154-run stand w/Haynes in 1991/92.

And after a 98-run stand with Campbell (in 10.1 overs) in 1999/00, Lara went on to score 117 off 62 balls, reaching his hundred off 45 balls with 17 fours and 4 sixes. Admittedly it was against Bangladesh.