• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

USA 12th team in Champions Trophy

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, I only remember his performances in Tests in his early career.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Never realised quite how good his record opening in ODI's was.

50 games for 46.84 is very impressive.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm surprised Watamba would give up cricket considering his skin colour.

But I guess if you dont feel safe in your country or now longer enjoy your cricket or will prosper in another country then I guess you have to do what's best for you.

Olonga hasnt played cricket because of a knee injury.

Pace Setter

Cricket Spectator
SquidAU said:
Good on the USA for getting into a tournament against the best cricketing nations. At least it gives the Aussie's a chance to thrash them at something.....:D :lol:
they dont beat us at many sports these days-hardly any that arent mainstream US sports

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: B.C. Lara opening the batting.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Tests
2 Matches
2 Inns
0 NOs
111 runs
55.50 Avge
HS - 91

ODIs
50 Matches
50 Inns
5 NOs
2108 runs
46.84 Avge
5x100
14x50
HS - 153

Involved in a 152-run partnership with Haynes in 1992/92, an unbroken 175-run partnership w/Haynes in 1991/92, an unbroken 154-run stand w/Haynes in 1991/92.

And after a 98-run stand with Campbell (in 10.1 overs) in 1999/00, Lara went on to score 117 off 62 balls, reaching his hundred off 45 balls with 17 fours and 4 sixes. Admittedly it was against Bangladesh.
One of those Haynes partnerships was a record opening stand against South Africa in ODIs and Knight and Hussain broke it in 1999\2000 at Bloemfontein.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Never realised quite how good his record opening in ODI's was.

50 games for 46.84 is very impressive.
He's just like Tendulkar - both with better averages opening than in the middle, but IMO less use to the team cause than with someone else opening and them playing in the middle.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rik said:
I feel USA vs Iraq would be worse. Arn't Iraq an ICC Associate?
Actually, they aren't even a member of the ICC.

Iran is an Affiliate though. That's the same level as Norway, so not likely to meet USA in the foreseeable future.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Actually, they aren't even a member of the ICC.

Iran is an Affiliate though. That's the same level as Norway, so not likely to meet USA in the foreseeable future.
Ahhhh well, I'm pretty sure the UAE would do :)

Ta Sam.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously think NZ & Aus will each pile on several batting records providing they bat first of course.
It's a shame because I wouldn't mind seeing cricket grow in America but it's on the cards.

And might I add that it's good to see that the ICC have learnt to put all the important matches at the end of each group stage.

Craig

World Traveller
I think sides will be looking at resting some key players (ie Cairns, Astle, Gillespie etc.) as well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Possibly...but then again there is only 1 match against USA for both NZ & Aus and then its crunch time so they could also be likely to be wanting their best players to get some match practice.

Craig

World Traveller
From a NZ prespective, I would be surprised if Cairns, Bond and perhaps Astle played given they are high risk in terms of injuries.

And on the flip side you dont want those three getting injured against the USA. Certaintly I would have doubts over Bond and Astle.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I seriously think NZ & Aus will each pile on several batting records providing they bat first of course.
I wouldn't be so sure - people always underrate the minnows and that can occasionally turn round and shock!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really think thats ever been a problem for teams like NZ & Aus though.
They're both professional enough to realise that you've got to respect anyone you play.

I would be very very surprised if NZ or Aus slipped up to the USA.