• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Draft Thread: 50+ scores no more than 50 times, 4+ wickets no more than 10 times

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
If it were Tests/First Class, Irfan would be the more valuable of the two by a wide margin. Pollard is the man who I'd want for LOI's though, harmless pie bowlers have a knack of picking up wickets in one dayers.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If it were Tests/First Class, Irfan would be the more valuable of the two by a wide margin. Pollard is the man who I'd want for LOI's though, harmless pie bowlers have a knack of picking up wickets in one dayers.
..except Pollard is a harmless pie bowler who historically hasn't had a knack of picking up wickets in one dayers

Note: Ya sure Irfan is ahead of Pollard in tests, because Pollard has played a sum total of _ tests. ;)

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
gotta agree with weldone here, I feel even within the batch of Windies all-rounders from the 90s to now (and Pollard has a lot of peers in the pie thrower/slogger category) there are better choices than him

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess Tony Greig is a big name from the past we all missed out on. Jesse Ryder could be a decent pick too. Robin Singh one of my all time favorites. Mohinder Amarnath too, though his bowling exploits outside the '83 WC were non-existent. Among modern players, there are Andre Russell, Stokes and Woakes, Cameron White.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Batting average of 25 and bowling average of 37 is ideal example of statistics of a no-rounder. You can't pick him in a ODI team just because sometimes in IPL he can mi**** a few for sixes.
Batting avg of 25 and bowling avg of 37 only tell half a story (the half that suits your agenda).

He has a great batting SR, and his bowling is economical thru the middle overs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
When you said great batting SR I was expecting it to be around 110 to make him as valuable with the bat as you make out, not 93.5 that is heavily influenced by beating up on associates and the weaker Test sides.

As for his bowling, it's not as if bowling in the middle overs is that big a skill as to set him apart from others, and clearly he doesn't excel at it since in a third of his games, he's not even been thrown the ball.

Not often I'd agree with weldone but Pollard is definitely a product of the "hits sixes hype machine"