• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Do's and Dont's of watching a Test live at the ground

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Probably going to be attending the 1st day of the Old Trafford Test later this summer. Really excited about this as I have never had the opportunity to watch Tests live at the ground before. Any tips or things I should be aware of? Few questions that come to mind:

Do people bring rain coats/umbrellas if it rains, or are they supplied at the ground?
Any rules or regulations regarding cameras?
How expensive is food at the ground? Are you allowed to bring your own from home? And drinks?
Are you allowed to move to other stands if you don't have a ticket for that stand? i.e. Can you move next to the stairs players use when going from the dressing rooms to ground?
If the stand is rather empty, can you move to better seats closer to the boundary line?
Can you use your smart phone to listen to TMS at the ground? Or do you have to buy one of those ear pieces? Are they expensive? Do they work for both Sky and TMS or do you have to buy separate pieces for each?

Really would appreciate any help or advice given :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've not been to a Test at OT but most of these are the same answer for every Test I've been to.

Do people bring rain coats/umbrellas if it rains, or are they supplied at the ground?
Bring your own.

Any rules or regulations regarding cameras?
Not that I know of. I think you would probably be told by someone to stop if you were filming for a long time. There are plenty of unwatchable phone clips on YouTube I guess.

How expensive is food at the ground? Are you allowed to bring your own from home? And drinks?
Not more expensive than other sports. You can bring your own but can't bring alcohol in, that's just Lord's. Your bag will be searched.

Are you allowed to move to other stands if you don't have a ticket for that stand? i.e. Can you move next to the stairs players use when going from the dressing rooms to ground?
If the stand is rather empty, can you move to better seats closer to the boundary line?
I've gotten away with this at county games but not Test matches. You will probably be able to walk all the way around the outside of the ground, so if it's empty because of long rain breaks or 5th day syndrome I guess you could sit where you like, until someone turns up with that ticket.

Can you use your smart phone to listen to TMS at the ground? Or do you have to buy one of those ear pieces? Are they expensive? Do they work for both Sky and TMS or do you have to buy separate pieces for each?
You can listen to your headphones. I find the lag is a bit offputting though, the earpieces are faster.

Stapel

International Regular
What HZ said.

IIRC, I have been able to bring my own beverages to the Oval once. Not sure I was allowed to do so. At Lord's it's fine, due to the picknick tradition. Exact info should be found on the tickets or website.

As for commentary: you can bring your own radio. Sounds a bit old fashioned, but it does the trick.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you need to buy food, go ~10-15 minutes before the break. You may miss some cricket but otherwise you'll be stuck with everyone else and be waiting forever for food.

Same goes for toilets.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're going to Old Trafford don't do anything that could be interpreted as a rain dance - Jupiter Pluvius can be very obliging in Lancashire

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably going to be attending the 1st day of the Old Trafford Test later this summer. Really excited about this as I have never had the opportunity to watch Tests live at the ground before. Any tips or things I should be aware of? Few questions that come to mind:

This is rather naive, but cute at the same time :)

Imagining a venue having 10,000 coats and umbrellas ready just in case....

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Old Trafford

It is a very good idea to bring a coracle. If it is raining but has yet to flood, you can crouch under it. If it has already flooded, it will help you get home.

I would suggest also packing distress flares but I'm not sure whether incendiary devices are now permissible in this era of insane health and safety regulation.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a very good idea to bring a coracle. If it is raining but has yet to flood, you can crouch under it. If it has already flooded, it will help you get home.

I would suggest also packing distress flares but I'm not sure whether incendiary devices are now permissible in this era of insane health and safety regulation.
Grumpy, ignore Mr Z on this as it is a subject on which he has always been prone to exaggerate - a decent pair of galoshes and a sou'wester would probably be a prudent investment though

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
If you're going to Old Trafford don't do anything that could be interpreted as a rain dance - Jupiter Pluvius can be very obliging in Lancashire
Noted. Hopefully won't have to resort to it on Day 1:ph34r:

This is rather naive, but cute at the same time :)

Imagining a venue having 10,000 coats and umbrellas ready just in case....
Haha, just wanted to make sure. Got one of those massive umbrellas and don't want the security to mistake it for a weapon.

Grumpy, ignore Mr Z on this as it is a subject on which he has always been prone to exaggerate - a decent pair of galoshes and a sou'wester would probably be a prudent investment though
Even in July?

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
The long wave lag for TMS isnt too bad. If you use your phone to listen to commentary it's miles behind and you'll struggle with signal with 20000 other phones theres.

The earpieces are great and usually about 10 quid.