• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Do's and Dont's of watching a Test live at the ground

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I would say, dress in layers to prepare for the cold/wet but you can always remove layers if it gets warm..food is probably typical of any sporting event. As others have said always try and beat the crowd when using facilities. One thing that was new to me was that Durham charged £1 for a high quality pint cup (on top of the 4.50 beer price) but if you return this you got ur pound back..also the Yorkshire tea van gave out half cup samples out free and the waitrose van gave free snacks out too so do make use of them. In terms of the earpieces, they were £10 and you get both the SS and TMS commentary. You can of course listen on your smartphone( provided you have signal) but probably best to use headphones so as not to disturb.technically you can't move stands but you may be able to move seats within a stand if the stewards allow it( if it's not that busy).most of all, enjoy!!hope this made sense and if you have any more q's feel free..

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't bother listening on a smartphone, you'll get intermittent commentary 30 seconds after the action and your battery will get knackered. Buy the £10 earpiece/radio thingy at the ground which is smaller than most radios and give you a choice of instantaneous commentary from either Beefy and Mates or TMS.

watson

Banned
Buy a litre bottle of coke, drink some, and add rum to taste. Convenient, refreshing, and avoids hassle during the checks at the gate. Unless you go to Lords in which case you allowed the equivalent of two standard drinks or so.

Stapel

International Regular
On the lag: about a fortnight when using a smartphone. Utterly useless.

I've once bought a device at Lord's. It has a switch, so you can choose between local/ground FM or TMS longwave (5live). That's stuck on 192 kHz. Faire enough, as it simply works ok in The Hague (which is the same distance form London as Manchester). A couple of years ago my car radio had a proper longwave band. Live TMS up to Karlsruhe!

If you buy or have a simple radio, be sure the frequency starts at 150kHz, rather than 500 kHz. In most European countries longwave radio is simply no longer existent anymore.

Andre

International Regular
Only advice - don't leave your seat during an over. Wait till the end of the over. Nothing worse than people up and down during play. Pretty basic ettiquette at the ground

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you want a bit of screentime, make sure you walk across the sightscreen during play

91Jmay

International Coach
Only advice - don't leave your seat during an over. Wait till the end of the over. Nothing worse than people up and down during play. Pretty basic ettiquette at the ground
Yeah this pisses me off, I don't buy end row tickets if I can help it now.