• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the best?

Best side in test history ?

• 1948 Australia

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • 1980's Windies

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • 1969 South Africans

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • 1970's Australians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1932 Englishmen

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • 2002 Australians

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • other (who)

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
Just another of these little polls :)

Which side , in your opinion , is the greatest to have taken the feild during test crickets 127 year history?

Now IMO these would be the main contenders-

1948 Australians-
1.S.Barnes
2.A.Morris
3.D.Bradman*
4.L.Hasset
5.K.Miller
6.N.Harvey
7.R.Lindwall
8.I.Johnson
9.D.Tallon+
10.B.Johnson
11.E.Toshak

1980's West Indians-
1.G.Greenidge
2.D.Haynes
3.R.Richardson
4.V.Richards
5.L.Gomes
6.C.Lloyd*
7.J.Dujon+
8.M.Marshall
9.M.Holding
10.J.Garner
11.C.Walsh

1970's Australians-
1.I.Redpath
2.R.McCosker
3.I.Chappell*
4.G.Chappell
5.R.Edwards
6.D.Walters
7.R.Marsh+
8.M.Walker
9.A.Mallett
10.D.Lillee
11.J.Thompson

1969 South Africans-
1.B.Richards
2.T.Goddard
3.A.Bacher*
4.G.Pollock
5.E.Barlow
6.L.Ervine
7.D.Lindsay+
8.M.Procter
9.T.Lance
10.P.Pollock
11.J.Traicos

1932 (bodyline) Englishmen-
1.H.Sutcliffe
2.D.Jardine*
3.W.Hammond
4.M.Leyland
5.E.Paynter
6.L.Ames+
7.B.Wyatt
8.G.Allen
9.H.Verity
10.H.Larwood
11.B.Voce

2002 Australians-
1.J.Langer
2.M.Hayden
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Waugh
5.S.Waugh*
6.D.Martyn
7.A.Gilchrist+
8.S.Warne
9.B.Lee
10.J.Gillespie
11.G.McGrath

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I picked the West Indies team due to pure intimidation. That said, I don't think that Courtney Walsh was one of the best bowlers in the West Indies at the time.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Because, as aLftA shows, they have the worst all-time team.

Although they do have the handicap of having a rubbish manager. ;)

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
It has to be the 2002 Aussies.

The sheer nature of the way they play their cricket, always attacking, the batsmen score as if its a ODI.

The bowlers like McGrath & Warne are amoungst the all time greats and they devastate opposition batsmen.

Also they have won a hell of a lot of games, plus led by the best test captain in history in terms of winning percentage.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
It has to be the 2002 Aussies.

The sheer nature of the way they play their cricket, always attacking, the batsmen score as if its a ODI.

The bowlers like McGrath & Warne are amoungst the all time greats and they devastate opposition batsmen.

Also they have won a hell of a lot of games, plus led by the best test captain in history in terms of winning percentage.
The only reason hes had the most percentage of test wins is because he's had star players.Saying he is the best captain ever is ridiculous.

Wheres 1980 Pakistan and NZ? Javed Miandad,Imran Khan,Martin Crowe ,Richard hadlee,make a strong team.

But the invincibles get my vote.A guy with an average of 99.94 IS invincible.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BlackCap_Fan said:
But the invincibles get my vote.A guy with an average of 99.94 IS invincible.
Not if the rest of the blokes average 10 with the bat and 40 with the ball and field like Laxman...that's 209 in each innings for and 400 in each innings against :)

Not saying that the 1948 Aussies did (of course they were much better), just pointing out a minor flaw in your logic ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't have to have seen teams to know the players were good!
One of the reasons people think the 2001\2002 Australians are as good as the like of the named, IMO, are because they are so recent.

Craig

World Traveller
1980s WI.

Purely fearsome and firey it would take alot of guts to play agressively to him. That said Holding was a gentleman (not with the ball).