• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Rilee deserves to go as he has probably performed better in 4-day cricket domestically than limited overs & de Bruyn is new to his role and needs to nail down domestic cricket a bit more. Not so long ago, on the 'A' tour to Aus - Rossouw got 230 & Bavuma 150 in a 4-day 'A' test.

Great little 4-day debut for Jason Smith. Tall and gangly but certainly grown as a cricketer since his u19 WC performances.
I worry about Rilee mental fortitude even in the ODI stuff he has a habit of playing injudicious shots.. not saying he should not get a shot, but de Bruyn has been scoring big for the SA 'A' side for awhile now.

They probably will stay safe and go with Vilas.

The other options : Clyde Fortuin

What do you go ? Reserve batsman, 2 reserve quicks and the either a keeper or a spinner. I honestly don't think a 2nd spinner is necassary with Adelaide being under lights.
Will probably be Vilas.. but I like Fortuin as well...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They probably will stay safe and go with Vilas.

van Wyk is braai wood. Think this will be his last season.

The other options : Clyde Fortuin & Heinrich Klaasen do intrigue me. Fortuin is your old fashioned keeper - good behind the stumps. Quick between the wickets and innovative. Klaasen may just be a real bolter but probably needs franchise performances now. Mosehle flatters to deceive and Second is more of a top order player who would lack putting energy into the innings at 7 for me.

What do you go ? Reserve batsman, 2 reserve quicks and the either a keeper or a spinner. I honestly don't think a 2nd spinner is necassary with Adelaide being under lights.
I know he doesn't keep regularly anymore but it wouldn't surprise me if they picked Kuhn to cover both the backup keeper and backup opener slots. de Kock isn't getting dropped any time so he'd only have to keep in the event of injury, and they've been impressed enough with his recent gun batting form to pick him in the A team.

SeamUp

International Coach
I worry about Rilee mental fortitude even in the ODI stuff he has a habit of playing injudicious shots.. not saying he should not get a shot, but de Bruyn has been scoring big for the SA 'A' side for awhile now.

Will probably be Vilas.. but I like Fortuin as well...
In a way yes but then again he has proved himself over a long period of time for the Knights and SA 'A' in red-ball cricket. That has always been his supposed downfall but one thing you won't get with Rilee is a meak effort. He backs himself till the cow comes home and that is the attitude I want for players coming up to international cricket.

With Stiaan. Everyone loved the aesthetics and great guy but that technical fault of his was going to be the big test and the fact I just don't think he has that inner-confidence like Rossouw.

I know he doesn't keep regularly anymore but it wouldn't surprise me if they picked Kuhn to cover both the backup keeper and backup opener slots. de Kock isn't getting dropped any time so he'd only have to keep in the event of injury, and they've been impressed enough with his recent gun batting form to pick him in the A team.
Unfortunately just think that boat has sailed and my issue with him was could he ever be a good 7 for your test team as well ? Just one of the unfortunate one's I think he will be classed as.

SeamUp

International Coach
Huge respect for Jason Smith's knock of 95 on debut (also with wickets) + he scored a quick fifty on 50-over debut for Cobras.

SeamUp

International Coach
The two former Grey PE boys for Warriors

But then two relatively young batsmen, opener Eddie Moore and No 3 Colin Ackermann, came together, and they proceeded to bat with flair mixed with caution.

Ackermann started off at great pace – his first four scoring strokes were boundaries – and before long he outstripped Moore.

At stumps Moore was on 46 off 132 balls with five boundaries and Ackermann had advanced to 56 off 122 balls, also with five fours.

Both showed maturity beyond their years and defended grimly when necessary, but were also quick to dispatch any loose deliveries.
Viljoen and Mulder with the ball

It was an inauspicious start to Cobras’ second-innings - Andrew Puttick and Omphile Ramela were both rapped on the pads by Viljoen without scoring.

But Viljoen had not finished wreaking havoc on the visitors’ top order.

Stiaan van Zyl wafted at a rising delivery, and the resultant edge found the hands of Dominic Hendricks at second slip.

The Cape-based side were deep in the mire on eight for three and Viljoen’s figures reading at that time 2.2-0-2-3.

But the rot had well-and-truly set in.

Viljoen, with his tail up, induced Zubayr Hanza to fish outside his off-stump, edged it and the Lions captain took the catch at first slip.

The visitors were holding on by their fingernails on 17 for four and still needing 35 runs to knock off the deficit.

Jason Smith and Dane Vilas set about trying to restore the innings, but to no avail.

The 18-year old Wiaan Mulder, who hit his straps in the Cobras’ first-innings taking three wickets for only 10 runs, struck Vilas on the pads and the batsman was adjudged to be lbw. A visibly dejected Vilas showed his displeasure at the umpire’s decision.

The Cobras, with their heads barely above water, were 42 for five and still needing 10 runs to make their hosts bat again.

Aviwe Mgijima, on six at the interval, added just three runs before prodding tentatively to a Mulder out-swinger, found the outside edge and saw the ball fly straight into the hands of the keeper Mangaliso Mosehle.

The visitors: 96 for six.

Three overs later, Viljoen claimed his fifth scalp when he crashed through Vernon Philander's defence and rearranged the woodwork.

Viljoen finished with 6-75 and the 18-year old Wiaan Mulder - in matric this year - with 4-54.
Accuracy and Speed of De Lange and Olivier (with video)

De Lange, Olivier blow Titans away - SuperSport - Cricket

SeamUp

International Coach
The Lions won by ten wickets, Cook 97*.

Lions 160/0 (26.5 ov, HE van der Dussen 50*, SC Cook 97*, VD Philander 0/39) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Knights 30 short of beating the Titans with four wickets left, De Bruyn on 738, must be very close to a national call-up.

KNGHT 141/6 (35.5 ov, SC van Schalkwyk 20*, TB de Bruyn 73*, D Wiese 0/33) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Absolute machine to be 738 !

Has to be in a battle with Rossouw for reserve batsman on Australia tour. No one else close to those two at this stage.

SeamUp

International Coach
Who is actually 2nd choice test spinner ? Assuming Piedt has first choice held down ?

Harmer - probably drifting now and balance of squad would make it difficult.
Tahir - I reckon his test chances are finished.

So clear-cut between Maharaj (just got a 5-for in EL and scores some runs) and Shamsi ? Or does Phangiso worm his way in all of a sudden ?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors 230 all out playing Dolphins 478 all out.

Warriors Following-on

Maharaj continues scintilating form from last season with 7-89 and 72 with the bat.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Who is actually 2nd choice test spinner ? Assuming Piedt has first choice held down ?

Harmer - probably drifting now and balance of squad would make it difficult.
Tahir - I reckon his test chances are finished.

So clear-cut between Maharaj (just got a 5-for in EL and scores some runs) and Shamsi ? Or does Phangiso worm his way in all of a sudden ?
Must be between Maharaj and Shamsi... Shamsi might get first chance as he has already been in ODI squad. But Maharaj looks so good atm and can bat a bit..

SeamUp

International Coach
Theunis de Bruyn on the march again. We know our batting pecking order now really. Probably looking at younger guys like Hamza, Smith, Mulder, Markram to kick on for that next generation.

Was just thinking about our seam bowling.

Steyn 33
Morkel 32
Philander 31
Abbott 29
Morris 29
Parnell 27
Rabada 21

Those are the ages of the main 7 seamers. Phehlukwayo (20) & Pretorius (27) are getting ODI opportunities and we got to see how they develop.

But after the first round of 4-day cricket and Viljoen (27) & de Lange (26) doing so well. Do we see them ever getting an opportunity again at international level considering their inconsistencies the ages of the guys in the mix or we pretty much looking at Duanne Olivier (24) & Daryn Dupavillon (22) as the next strike bowlers in line ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Theunis de Bruyn on the march again. We know our batting pecking order now really. Probably looking at younger guys like Hamza, Smith, Mulder, Markram to kick on for that next generation.

Was just thinking about our seam bowling.

Steyn 33
Morkel 32
Philander 31
Abbott 29
Morris 29
Parnell 27
Rabada 21

Those are the ages of the main 7 seamers. Phehlukwayo (20) & Pretorius (27) are getting ODI opportunities and we got to see how they develop.

But after the first round of 4-day cricket and Viljoen (27) & de Lange (26) doing so well. Do we see them ever getting an opportunity again at international level considering their inconsistencies the ages of the guys in the mix or we pretty much looking at Duanne Olivier (24) & Daryn Dupavillon (22) as the next strike bowlers in line ?
Steyn, Morkel Philander, probably another 2-4 years. Abbott another 4-6 years. Parnell hopefully will continue to improve and Rabada still good 10+ years assuming he stays fit. Duane Oliver should be next youngster in, Dupavillion looks good. Viljoen and de Lange may come back in as a stop gap if needed later.

I`m not to worried, similar things were being mentioned a few years ago regarding the loss of our batting, and even Steyn. Subsequently we had Bavuma, QDK and Rabada step up and look world class. Don`t think that will stop anytime soon.

SeamUp

International Coach
Eddie Moore continuing to score runs (future test opener contender if he keeps improving like he is) & a real break through hundred for Colin Ackermann. Morkel through 21 overs on return.

WAR 281/5 (95.3 ov, C Fortuin 10*, CN Ackermann 135*, MP Siboto 1/48) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Possibly a tight game here but what is happening with these home wickets of the Lions. 18 year-old Mulder still needs time with the bat (which is his number 1 out of the 2 but his bowling is flying at the minute)

LIONS 121/5 (32.4 ov, M Mosehle 0*, K Rapulana 35*, R Frylinck 3/26) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Runs for van Zyl and Olivier showing he has accuracy to his hostility with the ball as he doesn't leak runs like Merchant or Viljoen or Magala.

KNGHT 69/3 (13.0 ov, PJ van Biljon 21*, RS Second 14*, TL Moreki 0/4) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Frylinck must have been unplayable... Mulder also getting wickets which is great. Morkel getting back is great, took a few wickets as well. Duanne Olivier continuing to knock on the door. Not convinced about Ackermann, yet, we shall see...
I am not quite sure what pitches these games have started on, but looks like green mambas everywhere..

Bahseph

State Captain
To anyone more knowledgeable than me , what is Makhanya's role in the Dolphins set up? I'm from Durban and I follow the team closely but it does baffle me how he gets picked without ever doing much.