• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
We are really not short of talent in this country...
Major concern is how diluted franchise cricket is now. How much value can you put to runs and wickets I just don't know. Potential is one thing but growing your game around good players and against good players is vital for a young cricketer.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I know. Mbhalati a real stalwart . I've seen it in a few places & here is one - https://translate.google.co.za/tran...-vir-die-krieket-knoeier-20160305&prev=search

I saw in another that another Lions seamer was implicated and the sudden removal of Matshikwe from contracts leads to putting 2 & 2 together.

I think van Vuuren married an English girl - 172 in the game on the go - Worcs 151/5 (38.2 ov, OB Cox 7*, RA Whiteley 20*, GL van Buuren 0/13) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Pillans been struggling a touch at Surrey.

Brydon Carse didn't get much of a go after EP u19s and playing regularly for Durham. Former SA u19 captain, Keaton Jennings, piling on the runs for Durham.

Bradley Dial and Greg Oldfield making perm moves to England as well. Conor McKerr signed for Surrey academy like Bradley Wheal did the year before for Hampshire academy.

Obus Pienaar joining Chad Bowes in New Zealand. bowes made the Canterbury team very quickly so quite a few moves around recently.
At least we know the Eng team should stay strong for awhile...:tongue_ss

Major concern is how diluted franchise cricket is now. How much value can you put to runs and wickets I just don't know. Potential is one thing but growing your game around good players and against good players is vital for a young cricketer.
Yeah, but what can be done about that really ?

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
That's what I would do... but the problem is the same in a different context, weakened teams. And a 2-tier system doesn`t work either.
I think an expanded franchise system, with less stringent quotas, would strengthen the game. People like Vaughan van Jaarsveld sometimes can't get a gig for the Dolphins, because of the quotas - it is ridiculous.

I support transformation, but stringent quotas like we have are wrong-headed, and will kill the game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the two-tier system though, as long as the franchise level is strong.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think an expanded franchise system, with less stringent quotas, would strengthen the game. People like Vaughan van Jaarsveld sometimes can't get a gig for the Dolphins, because of the quotas - it is ridiculous.

I support transformation, but stringent quotas like we have are wrong-headed, and will kill the game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the two-tier system though, as long as the franchise level is strong.
Just to be clear an expanded franchise system with less stringent quotas is also what I would like to see... but it still leaves a weaker franchise teams overall, which is what SeamUps concern was/is.

Marius

International Debutant
Just to be clear an expanded franchise system with less stringent quotas is also what I would like to see... but it still leaves a weaker franchise teams overall, which is what SeamUps concern was/is.
Will it though? Because white players that aren't getting places in franchise sides because of quotas would be playing, like Van Jaarsveld etc.

More opportunities may prevent more guys from leaving to play overseas, which would further strengthen the domestic set-up. You could probably cobble together a fairly strong team from the SA guys playing in the UK, NZ, etc.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Will it though? Because white players that aren't getting places in franchise sides because of quotas would be playing, like Van Jaarsveld etc.

More opportunities may prevent more guys from leaving to play overseas, which would further strengthen the domestic set-up. You could probably cobble together a fairly strong team from the SA guys playing in the UK, NZ, etc.
You may now have all the top players playing (which is not happening now) but you will still have diluted teams playing. But I agree with an expanded system because it won`t make matters worse but still gives all the top players opportunity. The question is also can CSA and the provinces afford additional franchises?

Reasons for players leaving is multi-fold, while the quota issue is definitely an issue, so is the current wider political issues, crime and the weakening rand. I know to many people leaving for the other issues regardless of job opportunities.

Marius

International Debutant
Reasons for players leaving is multi-fold, while the quota issue is definitely an issue, so is the current wider political issues, crime and the weakening rand. I know to many people leaving for the other issues regardless of job opportunities.
Yeah, for sure, but the quota system is hardly helping when it comes to guys who play cricket for a living.

91Jmay

International Coach
To be fair someone like Keaton Jennings is never going to be good enough to play international cricket, so he might as well make a decent living in CC. Would say most of those players are just going to be decent first class cricketers, nothing more. Carse might be a reasonable prospect.

Stefan9

International Debutant

There is a reason why SA switched away from 13 teams in the top provincial level and why the ecb went to a two tier system. If you go that way you may get guys who currently aren't getting a game a chance but you also have a lot of free loaders who shouldn't be anywhere near professional cricket getting deals.

Marius

International Debutant
There is a reason why SA switched away from 13 teams in the top provincial level and why the ecb went to a two tier system. If you go that way you may get guys who currently aren't getting a game a chance but you also have a lot of free loaders who shouldn't be anywhere near professional cricket getting deals.
We already have that with the semi-pro system under franchise level. We effectively have seventeen FC teams in SA, which is probably not sustainable.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA independent review 'abandoned' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
This is the worrying thing in SA at the moment... it seems a classic case of look at what we tell you to look at rather than give us a truthful whole picture where we might not like what you have to say. Sad for SA cricket.

What I do like is this.
India A to play quadrangular one-day series in Australia | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
I think it is good for SA and probably good for India and Aus to test the best available players not in the national squads. Lots of SA 'A' games with other nations may just keep SA cricket competitive and give SA an indication of talent, rather than the domestic structure itself.

91Jmay

International Coach
SA A got mauled against England's main team when we toured. Will be a big quad series for them.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA 'A' squads announced :

South Africa A four-day squad for Ziimbabwe (July 7 to 19): Stephen Cook (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Qaasim Adams (The Unlimited Titans), Theunis de Bruyn (VKB Knights), Heino Kuhn (The Unlimited Titans), Sisanda Magala (Warriors), Keshav Maharaj (Sunfoil Dolphins), Duanne Olivier (VKB Knights), Andile Phehlukwayo (Sunfoil Dolphins), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Dwaine Pretorius (bizhub Highveld Lions), Omphile Ramela (Cape Cobras), Stiaan van Zyl (Cape Cobras), Dane Vilas (Cape Cobras), Hardus Viljoen (bizhub Highveld Lions)

South Africa A four-day squad for Australia (July 25 to August 9): Stephen Cook (bizhub Highveld Lions, capt), Qaasim Adams (The Unlimited Titans), Temba Bavuma (bizhub Highveld Lions), Dean Elgar (The Unlimited Titans), Heino Kuhn (The Unlimited Titans), Sisanda Magala (Warriors), Keshav Maharaj (Sunfoil Dolphins), Duanne Olivier (VKB Knights), Wayne Parnell (Cape Cobras), Andile Phehlukwayo (Sunfoil Dolphins), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Omphile Ramela (Cape Cobras), Stiaan van Zyl (Cape Cobras), Dane Vilas (Cape Cobras), Hardus Viljoen (bizhub Highveld Lions)

South Africa A one-day squad for triangular in Australia (August 13 to September 4): Wayne Parnell (Cape Cobras, capt), Qaasim Adams (The Unlimited Titans), Marchant de Lange (VKB Knights), Reeza Hendricks (bizhub Highveld Lions), Heino Kuhn (The Unlimited Titans), Eddie Leie (bizhub Highveld Lions), Sisanda Magala (Warriors), Aaron Phangiso (bizhub Highveld Lions), Andile Phehlukwayo (Sunfoil Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (bizhub Highveld Lions), Rilee Rossouw (VKB Knights), Malusi Siboto (The Unlimited Titans), Khaya Zondo (Sunfoil Dolphins), David Miller (VKB Knights), Dane Vilas (Cape Cobras)

Basically Elgar and Bavuma in for de Bruyn for Australia from Zimbabwe 4-day squad.
Parnell in for Pretorius like the above.

Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Simon Harmer, Dane Paterson and Beuran Hendricks probably came into for discussions for the squads.
No Morris, Wiese or Shamsi in the squads.
Hopefully Markram, Hamza, Smith, Mulder, Galiem, Savage, Dupavillon, Ngidi will get into these squads in time with performances at franchise level to bring the average age down.

Marius

International Debutant
SA 'A' squads announced :

Basically Elgar and Bavuma in for de Bruyn for Australia from Zimbabwe 4-day squad.
Parnell in for Pretorius like the above.

Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Simon Harmer, Dane Paterson and Beuran Hendricks probably came into for discussions for the squads.
No Morris, Wiese or Shamsi in the squads.
Hopefully Markram, Hamza, Smith, Mulder, Galiem, Savage, Dupavillon, Ngidi will get into these squads in time with performances at franchise level to bring the average age down.
Overall, pretty solid I reckon.

Nice to see Pretorius getting some recognition, has he been in a A-squad before?

SeamUp

International Coach
Overall, pretty solid I reckon.

Nice to see Pretorius getting some recognition, has he been in a A-squad before?
Can't complain much. Big acid test for a lot of them though. Just a pity Theunis de Bruyn doesn't go to Australia.

Think first call-ups for Pretorius, Magala, Olivier and Siboto.

Marius

International Debutant
Can't complain much. Big acid test for a lot of them though. Just a pity Theunis de Bruyn doesn't go to Australia.

Think first call-ups for Pretorius, Magala, Olivier and Siboto.
Just noticed Siboto.

He's OK, but not sure he's A-material - solid performer at franchise level, but really doubt he has what it takes to step up a level.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just noticed Siboto.

He's OK, but not sure he's A-material - solid performer at franchise level, but really doubt he has what it takes to step up a level.
Definitely not good enough. I think the limited overs squad has more question marks than the 4-day group.

Magala has some pace and can take wickets but very un-athletic. Hopefully he is looking at that this winter.

Marius

International Debutant
Definitely not good enough. I think the limited overs squad has more question marks than the 4-day group.

Magala has some pace and can take wickets but very un-athletic. Hopefully he is looking at that this winter.
Magala is a big lad, but he bowls a heavy ball and looks like he's difficult to get away.

He can also hit it, or am I thinking of someone else?