Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: South African Domestic Season 2016/17

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post

Is there any particular new players we want to keep our eye on?
    Personally looking forward to seeing Markram. Loads of talent but need to start showing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    Personally looking forward to seeing Markram. Loads of talent but need to start showing it.
    Agree 100%

There are a few like him that just need to get those regular opportunities like others get and they will be away.

Stick neck out I think Markram (22), Hamza (21), Smith (22) will be the young batsman too watch.
    Phehlukwayo (20) , Savage (23), McGillivray (26) , Galiem (19) as all-rounders.
    Linde (25), Fortuin (22), Subrayen (23) as spinners
    Olivier (24) , Dupavillon (22) and Ngidi (20) as quicks.

I think players like Maharaj, de Bruyn, Pretorius, Shamsi are ahead of this list now who haven't played for the Proteas yet.
    StephenZA likes this.

International Vice-Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Agree 100%

There are a few like him that just need to get those regular opportunities like others get and they will be away.

Stick neck out I think Markram (22), Hamza (21), Smith (22) will be the young batsman too watch.
    Phehlukwayo (20) , Savage (23), McGillivray (26) , Galiem (19) as all-rounders.
    Linde (25), Fortuin (22), Subrayen (23) as spinners
    Olivier (24) , Dupavillon (22) and Ngidi (20) as quicks.

I think players like Maharaj, de Bruyn, Pretorius, Shamsi are ahead of this list now who haven't played for the Proteas yet.
    We are really not short of talent in this country...
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

Notice Tsolekile, Tsotsobe, Matshikwe and Mbhalati lost their contracts with their 'involvement' in match-fixing with Gulam Bodi. Not sure on the reasons behind Jean Symes and Shaylen Pillay losing their's - if it was just performances.
    Didn't know about Matshikwe or Mbhalati, very sad. Neither were exactly setting the world on fire, but gave their franchises good service, especially Mbhalati.

Has Van Buuren gone Kolpak? I see he made a hundred this weekend, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Didn't know about Matshikwe or Mbhalati, very sad. Neither were exactly setting the world on fire, but gave their franchises good service, especially Mbhalati.

Has Van Buuren gone Kolpak? I see he made a hundred this weekend, I think.
    I know. Mbhalati a real stalwart . I've seen it in a few places & here is one - https://translate.google.co.za/trans...05&prev=search

I saw in another that another Lions seamer was implicated and the sudden removal of Matshikwe from contracts leads to putting 2 & 2 together.

I think van Vuuren married an English girl - 172 in the game on the go - Worcs 151/5 (38.2 ov, OB Cox 7*, RA Whiteley 20*, GL van Buuren 0/13) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Pillans been struggling a touch at Surrey.

Brydon Carse didn't get much of a go after EP u19s and playing regularly for Durham. Former SA u19 captain, Keaton Jennings, piling on the runs for Durham.

Bradley Dial and Greg Oldfield making perm moves to England as well. Conor McKerr signed for Surrey academy like Bradley Wheal did the year before for Hampshire academy.

Obus Pienaar joining Chad Bowes in New Zealand. bowes made the Canterbury team very quickly so quite a few moves around recently.

We are really not short of talent in this country...
    Major concern is how diluted franchise cricket is now. How much value can you put to runs and wickets I just don't know. Potential is one thing but growing your game around good players and against good players is vital for a young cricketer.

I know. Mbhalati a real stalwart . I've seen it in a few places & here is one - https://translate.google.co.za/trans...05&prev=search

I saw in another that another Lions seamer was implicated and the sudden removal of Matshikwe from contracts leads to putting 2 & 2 together.

I think van Vuuren married an English girl - 172 in the game on the go - Worcs 151/5 (38.2 ov, OB Cox 7*, RA Whiteley 20*, GL van Buuren 0/13) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Pillans been struggling a touch at Surrey.

Brydon Carse didn't get much of a go after EP u19s and playing regularly for Durham. Former SA u19 captain, Keaton Jennings, piling on the runs for Durham.

Bradley Dial and Greg Oldfield making perm moves to England as well. Conor McKerr signed for Surrey academy like Bradley Wheal did the year before for Hampshire academy.

Obus Pienaar joining Chad Bowes in New Zealand. bowes made the Canterbury team very quickly so quite a few moves around recently.
    At least we know the Eng team should stay strong for awhile...

Major concern is how diluted franchise cricket is now. How much value can you put to runs and wickets I just don't know. Potential is one thing but growing your game around good players and against good players is vital for a young cricketer.
    Yeah, but what can be done about that really ?
    Last edited by StephenZA; 01-06-2016 at 01:14 AM.

At least we know the Eng team should stay strong for awhile...

Yeah, but what can be done about that really ?
    Expand the franchise system, and get rid of brute-force quotas.

Expand the franchise system, and get rid of brute-force quotas.
    That's what I would do... but the problem is the same in a different context, weakened teams. And a 2-tier system doesn`t work either.

That's what I would do... but the problem is the same in a different context, weakened teams. And a 2-tier system doesn`t work either.
    I think an expanded franchise system, with less stringent quotas, would strengthen the game. People like Vaughan van Jaarsveld sometimes can't get a gig for the Dolphins, because of the quotas - it is ridiculous.

I support transformation, but stringent quotas like we have are wrong-headed, and will kill the game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the two-tier system though, as long as the franchise level is strong.

I think an expanded franchise system, with less stringent quotas, would strengthen the game. People like Vaughan van Jaarsveld sometimes can't get a gig for the Dolphins, because of the quotas - it is ridiculous.

I support transformation, but stringent quotas like we have are wrong-headed, and will kill the game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the two-tier system though, as long as the franchise level is strong.
    Just to be clear an expanded franchise system with less stringent quotas is also what I would like to see... but it still leaves a weaker franchise teams overall, which is what SeamUps concern was/is.

Just to be clear an expanded franchise system with less stringent quotas is also what I would like to see... but it still leaves a weaker franchise teams overall, which is what SeamUps concern was/is.
    Will it though? Because white players that aren't getting places in franchise sides because of quotas would be playing, like Van Jaarsveld etc.

More opportunities may prevent more guys from leaving to play overseas, which would further strengthen the domestic set-up. You could probably cobble together a fairly strong team from the SA guys playing in the UK, NZ, etc.

Will it though? Because white players that aren't getting places in franchise sides because of quotas would be playing, like Van Jaarsveld etc.

More opportunities may prevent more guys from leaving to play overseas, which would further strengthen the domestic set-up. You could probably cobble together a fairly strong team from the SA guys playing in the UK, NZ, etc.
    You may now have all the top players playing (which is not happening now) but you will still have diluted teams playing. But I agree with an expanded system because it won`t make matters worse but still gives all the top players opportunity. The question is also can CSA and the provinces afford additional franchises?

Reasons for players leaving is multi-fold, while the quota issue is definitely an issue, so is the current wider political issues, crime and the weakening rand. I know to many people leaving for the other issues regardless of job opportunities.

Reasons for players leaving is multi-fold, while the quota issue is definitely an issue, so is the current wider political issues, crime and the weakening rand. I know to many people leaving for the other issues regardless of job opportunities.
    Yeah, for sure, but the quota system is hardly helping when it comes to guys who play cricket for a living.

International Coach
    To be fair someone like Keaton Jennings is never going to be good enough to play international cricket, so he might as well make a decent living in CC. Would say most of those players are just going to be decent first class cricketers, nothing more. Carse might be a reasonable prospect.

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information