• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
Leading run-scorers & wicket-takers after 5 rounds

COBRAS : Jason Smith (294) , Justin Ontong (290)
WARRIORS : Colin Ackermann (499) , Edward Moore (335)
DOLPHINS : Khaya Zondo (494), Vaughn van Jaarsveld (275)
KNIGHTS : Theunis De Bruyn (423), David Miller (320)
LIONS : Dwaine Pretorius (364), Rassie Vd Dussen (344)
TITANS : Aiden Markram (354), Heinrich Klaasen (255)

COBRAS : Dane Paterson (14), Dane Piedt (11)
WARRIORS : Simon Harmer (18), Basheer Walters (16)
DOLPHINS : Robbie Frylinck (22), Keshav Maharaj (13)
KNIGHTS : Duanne Olivier (28), Marchant de Lange (21)
LIONS : Hardus Viljoen (22), Wiaan Mulder (18)
TITANS : Malusi Siboto (20), Shaun von Berg (16)

Marius

International Debutant
Leading run-scorers & wicket-takers after 5 rounds

COBRAS : Jason Smith (294) , Justin Ontong (290)
WARRIORS : Colin Ackermann (499) , Edward Moore (335)
DOLPHINS : Khaya Zondo (494), Vaughn van Jaarsveld (275)
KNIGHTS : Theunis De Bruyn (423), David Miller (320)
LIONS : Dwaine Pretorius (364), Rassie Vd Dussen (344)
TITANS : Aiden Markram (354), Heinrich Klaasen (255)

COBRAS : Dane Paterson (14), Dane Piedt (11)
WARRIORS : Simon Harmer (18), Basheer Walters (16)
DOLPHINS : Robbie Frylinck (22), Keshav Maharaj (13)
KNIGHTS : Duanne Olivier (28), Marchant de Lange (21)
LIONS : Hardus Viljoen (22), Wiaan Mulder (18)
TITANS : Malusi Siboto (20), Shaun von Berg (16)
Do you know why Von Berg was left out of the Titans' last game?

Was it non-cricketing reasons?

sonnench

U19 12th Man
I feel for him because with 38 first class hundreds, he has worked so hard to be where is now & he has started off quite well. He may look ugly but runs, runs, runs is what he has put down with that technique for years. He always been that fidgety - nervous looking type so that probably plays a role in setting a negative tone for 3,4,5 etc so that is my biggest gripe.
Then there was the warm-up games. You can say it doesn't count but I think a player like him needed some runs there.
He probably deserves the Hobart test. If nothing there. Rossouw deserves the chance to debut with form he is in and his peak years are starting now and he scored runs under lights in the warm-up game at Adelaide.
Pretty much in agreement. Very interesting point regarding setting the tone for the players yet to bat. Never thought about it like that before.

Gotta feel for Rilee. So talented, but just hard to find a spot for him. Along with De Bruyn, and couple others you mentioned above, the future looks incredibly bright.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
How much of Zondo have you seen SeamUp?

For a while I saw him as **cough cough** a particular type of player and never thought much of it. However, he has been scoring runs?

SeamUp

International Coach
How much of Zondo have you seen SeamUp?

For a while I saw him as **cough cough** a particular type of player and never thought much of it. However, he has been scoring runs?
Seen him quite a bit because he has been around the Dolphins set-up since 18 along with Dave Miller.

Obviously has a bit of controversy surrounding him as well because he has used his judge father and his mother to fight some battles for him.

There was a stage I thought he could go further than Bavuma. Good technically and can get a move on when he wants to but I don't think he is mentally strong and that is what Bavuma is.

He has a good season like this and then the next season it looks like he hasn't played a game of cricket before and his nerves look shot. So weird.

They certainly fighting his corner : https://twitter.com/BlaqsInCricket

Marius

International Debutant
Seen him quite a bit because he has been around the Dolphins set-up since 18 along with Dave Miller.

Obviously has a bit of controversy surrounding him as well because he has used his judge father and his mother to fight some battles for him.

There was a stage I thought he could go further than Bavuma. Good technically and can get a move on when he wants to but I don't think he is mentally strong and that is what Bavuma is.

He has a good season like this and then the next season it looks like he hasn't played a game of cricket before and his nerves look shot. So weird.

Strange account that.

I used to be on Twitter and but haven't been on since August last year and don't miss it at all.

SeamUp

International Coach
Strange account that.

I used to be on Twitter and but haven't been on since August last year and don't miss it at all.
Yeah, conversations are difficult on there.

Use it for news more than anything because I don't really post either.

sonnench

U19 12th Man

I hope it does come right for him. But the political influence of his parents is quite a turn off.

That is what is so damn impressive about Bavuma. The guy just doesn't looked fazed or bothered on the big stage. It's something I find incredibly impressive. Rabada seems to be made of the same cloth. And going forward, the more players of that mold, the better.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
From what I've seen of Paterson, he is a bit erratic. Have a suspicion many of his wickets were taken in the 3-day competition but i don't know for a fact.

In other news, Stiaan v Zyl off to Sussex for 3 years.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wow massive news. There is no doubt he is a better player than he showed at test level. He was messed around with.

Sussex Cricket are delighted to announce a new major signing with the news that South African all-rounder Stiaan van Zyl has put pen to paper on a three-year deal at The 1st Central County Ground.

The 29 year-old will arrive at Hove for the 2017 season after first completing the South African domestic season this winter with Cape Cobras.

Van Zyl, born in Cape Town, has played 12 Test matches for his country and made an unbeaten century on debut in 2014, as South Africa beat the West Indies by an innings and 220 runs at Centurion.

The left-hander has played 132 first-class matches, scoring almost 8,000 runs in the process, including 18 centuries and averaging 42.55. His List A record is also impressive, having made over 3,000 runs in his 103 matches.

His medium-pace has also yielded over 50 wickets in first-class cricket, as well as a best haul of 5 for 32.

Van Zyl said of his move to Hove, “I am very excited to be joining such a prestigious club as Sussex and can't wait to be contributing on and off the field, especially with the youngsters coming through.

“I look forward to scoring plenty of runs and taking plenty of wickets in the new county season and aiming to help Sussex towards silverware next season.

“I would also like to thank all the coaching staff and board members for the opportunity for the next three years.”

Sussex’s Head Coach Mark Davis said, “We are delighted to have Stiaan joining us at Sussex Cricket. He is an established first-class cricketer of immense talent and has also represented South Africa in 12 Test matches.

“Stiaan brings a wealth of experience to the team, which is a crucial ingredient to our young developing squad. His medium pace bowling should also not be underestimated.

“To have a top order batsman who is able to bowl seam is a very important element in balancing our team for next season. He is a player who plays all formats of the game, which is another crucial part of our strategy moving forward.

“To have a player of this calibre choosing to play his cricket in England, and committing himself to Sussex, will be a huge boost to the club.”

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Just out of interest, why has Dane Paterson never got a look in? He's record looks pretty good.
For his pace he isn't accurate enough to be knocking the door down but he is a solid FC cricketer. Definitely more a work-horse and will probably continue in the SA 'A' set-up like he has been.

I suspect you will see guys like him, De Lange, Viljoen , Siboto etc continue in the SA 'A' set-up around the younger guys.

His FC record shows he isn't too bad at franchise level but average is brought down massively from Provincial.

Top level FC

SA 'A' : 2 wickets @ 101.50
DOLPHINS : 16 wickets @ 40.37
COBRAS : 100 wickets @ 25.91

Provincial

WP : 113 wickets @ 16.17
KZN : 28 wickets @ 26.78

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Stiaan is a very good player, and was messed around with... but I don't think he had the temperament. Best thing for him to head to Essex, sadly. Reminded me a bit of Ingram.

SeamUp

International Coach
Big news day with Robbie P announcing his retirement from all forms of cricket with immediate effect. Don't think it was going to well for him at the Knights.

He has been around a long time. Think it's only Morne van Wyk & Andrew Puttick left from that first SA u19 WC team that was hosted in SA.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
The Counties getting in before the kolpak and European contracts become,null and void with Brexit.
I expect many more white players wanting 2 make the switch.

SeamUp

International Coach
The Counties getting in before the kolpak and European contracts become,null and void with Brexit.
I expect many more white players wanting 2 make the switch.
These are the guys that will still play domestically.

Richard Levi - Northants
Stiaan van Zyl - Sussex
Rory Kleinveldt - Northants
Colin Ingram - Glamorgan
Colin Ackermann - Leicestershire
Simon Harmer - Essex

Like you say Brock, could be more like the above coming. Guess guys like Hardus Viljoen, Marchant de Lange, David Wiese, Heino Kuhn possibly.

Overseas player

Imran Tahir - Derbyshire

brockley

International Captain
Kleinveldt plays as an overseas player,as does Mclaren and Rudolph.
Its not purely the Counties fault,its the selection policy of the national side and the provincial sides.
I gather those players who signed up this year,not on national contracts,big issue that.
I know Ackermann has been playing in Holland the last 3 seasons,I probably wouldn't be suprised if he goes the same way as Van Der merwe and play internationally for Holland.