• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I was originally impressed that Ramela opened considering he was just made captain.. scored a few first game if I remember? but just poor since.

de Bruyn has to be next in line, he just keeps getting runs. I hope he gets a chance soon. Markram and Mulder have made immediate big impacts. Olivier is also continuing his good work and taking wickets. And Seconds looks like he is showing good form. I really wanted Hamza to do well and he has not performed yet.

Cobras do not look like a happy camp, for a team of such good players they are really struggling.

Marius

International Debutant
I was originally impressed that Ramela opened considering he was just made captain.. scored a few first game if I remember? but just poor since.

de Bruyn has to be next in line, he just keeps getting runs. I hope he gets a chance soon. Markram and Mulder have made immediate big impacts. Olivier is also continuing his good work and taking wickets. And Seconds looks like he is showing good form. I really wanted Hamza to do well and he has not performed yet.

Cobras do not look like a happy camp, for a team of such good players they are really struggling.
Yeah, De Bruyn must be next.

If Cook has a bad run in Tests this season I can see Markram making his debut sooner rather than later.

Bahseph

State Captain
Yeah, De Bruyn must be next.

If Cook has a bad run in Tests this season I can see Markram making his debut sooner rather than later.
It would make sense perfect sense. Elgar/Markram could be a solid long term opening pair. Something we have lacked for years.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just when we thought where have all these 'seamer all-rounders' come from another one is set to make is franchise debut in 19 year-old Dayyaan Galiem.

But 3-months into his job , chief selector, Alan Dawson, has stood down due to the squabbles in the set-up.

Galiem, Malan rewarded for excellence as Buildnat Cape Cobras get a face-lift

South Africa and specifically the Buildnat Cape Cobras have made a mockery of the detractors and naysayers’ view that the first-class landscape and the pipeline-structures are not in a healthy state.

The latest acquisition to the Cape Cobras’ team and one of four changes to the side that lost the Multiply Titans, is the 19-year old Dayyaan Galiem, one the most talked about young cricketers in South Africa and an all-rounder of immense talent.

He will be one of the spearheads of a rewired Buildnat Cape Cobras team when they clash with the Hollywoodbets Dolphins at Boland Park in Paarl from Thursday 3rd November.

Galiem is not the only member of the all-conquering Western Province team that was rewarded for his excellent performances.

Pieter Malan, who has smashed two double-centuries and averages 144.50 after collecting 489 runs in the Sunfoil Three-Day Cup Series, will open the innings against the Dolphins with Cebo Tshiki.

Omphile Ramela is serving a two-match suspension. Consequently, Justin Ontong will wear the captain’s armband.

Keegan Petersen, who was magnificent for Boland in hammering an unbeaten 115 on Sunday to propel the hosts to a four-wicket win against Western Province in a CSA one-day provincial challenge match, will take over the duties as wicketkeeper-batsman from Andrew Puttick.

Puttick’s father, PJ, passed away on Sunday.

“Although the brave-hearted Andrew wanted to play, we felt the compassionate leave is needed and that he should spend time with his family,” said Nabeal Dien, chief executive officer of the Western Province Cricket Association.
“We want to express our sincere condolences with the Puttick-family on the passing of PJ. As a Western Province family, we are in mourning with Andrew, one the long-serving stars of cricket in the Cape, and his family and friends,” Dien added.

“This Cape Cobras team boasts fresh young faces, but we are committed as an organization to reward form and the Western Province-team has been full of confidence while coasting to emphatic victories.

“Our aim with the changes is to utilize the exuberance of youth to transform the Buildnat Cape Cobras and help them return to their trophy-hugging ways,” said Dien.

Jason Smith, Galiem, Wiaan Mulder, Aiden Markram, Kagiso Rabada and Andile Phehlukwayo have underlined that a new generation is ready to take over the mantles as champions from the predecessors.

“I am very excited about the team. The players who have just been selected, deserve to be pencilled in. Right now the Cobras are not operating at the peak of their powers. I have great expectations of what Pieter, Dayyaan, Keegan and Cebo can achieve,” said Ontong.

“Cebo has been working hard in the winter and he looked very confident in the nets today. But he also knows what is required: he needs to put up the numbers,” Ontong added.

The Buildnat Cape Cobras team is: Justin Ontong (capt), Pieter Malan, Cebo Tshiki, Stiaan van Zyl, Jason Smith, Keegan Petersen, Aviwe Mgijima, Dayyaan Galiem, Zakhele Qwabe, Dane Paterson, Dane Piedt

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just when we thought where have all these 'seamer all-rounders' come from another one is set to make is franchise debut in 19 year-old Dayyaan Galiem.

But 3-months into his job , chief selector, Alan Dawson, has stood down due to the squabbles in the set-up.
Cobras in a mess, still haven`t heard much from Adams recently.... But I hope these youngsters keep performing.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Seeing Galiem make his debut is encouraging. Come to think of it, a lot of players have made their franchise debut this season and done well. Guys like Ngidi and Markram have shown that all that's needed is giving youngsters opportunities and they'll flourish.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
What are your thoughts on Dwaine Pretorius SeamUp? His first class form has been quite impressive and we are in desperate need for an all-rounder.....

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What are your thoughts on Dwaine Pretorius SeamUp? His first class form has been quite impressive and we are in desperate need for an all-rounder.....
He didn't look too flash in the ODIs. Better than Wiese but he didn't look exactly like a match winner with the ball albeit with the games were played on flat surfaces. Better to wait on Morris, Parnell or Phehlukwayo.