• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Marius

Good question.

Does anyone know where a person can find info on what happens to the money CSA gets from government? Or money form the test match fund ? Or what happened to the 1500 million US dollars that was given to get the broadcasting rights for the test series against India a couple of years ago?

I don't think anyone really knows.

That's money that can be used to keep players in the country? Right?

But even if that works will player stay here I'd he knows he can't play for the national squad and there is more money to be had elsewhere since he has to think about his future?
things like retirement - his family. As a previous poster said its all just indicative of a larger problem .

As a sidenote:

The border between Zimbabwe and south Africa is about 200 km long . Most of the border fence is broken and people can just come and go as they please . So it happens that a farmer found 2 loose cattle on his farm after the crossed form ZIMbabwe and out of fear of disease spreading to his own cattle he impounded them. The Zim farmer after realising this crosses the border (illegally) and goes to the SA police and complains about the situation. The policeman never question the ZIM farmer on his illegal presence in SA an drives him to the farmer that impounded his cattle.

This really happened, SA is a free for all except the people have to work to keep it livable.

Another 5idenote:

The Rustenburg municipality was allocated well over 100 million rand to upgrade existing water infrastructure. They simply didn't use it and the money gets taken away.

The point is as a previous poster said : its all just indicative of a larger problem .

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorry for al the political rhetoric. Its just that SA is facing some serious problems. Taxes will be increased next year substantially and is clear to see is that no one really knows what happens to taxpayers money and then government has to borrow to make the cut. Its ridiculous . What happens to all our money ?

SO

Why would cricket be any different ?

Sorry

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For non centrally contracted players I do believe that the franchises are compensated for any paid/lost income for a franchise contracted player. Probably worked out end of year when franchises are given their monies due from CSA. I don`t think CSA get lots of money from government, think majority is internal (TV rights etc.) think government may help with development funding (not enough!) and possibly for large events.

Not convinced how well CSA handles/ runs and administrates the game, but think it may be better than most sports bodies in South Africa....(but thats not saying much)

SeamUp

International Coach
That's good about Rickelton, let's hope we can keep him here.

I think Botha is the exception that possibly proves the rule.
It certainly is. I think Lions batting group is suspect myself. NO Cook & Bavuma and Virus is to follow Neil Mac into retirement. I think VdDussen flatters to deceive while Dom Hendricks always averages in the 20s and is made captain. The biggest disappointment has been new signing Reeza Hendricks but he hasn't been able to score more than 10 for about a year now , which is a mystery. If it wasn't for Vd Bergh, Pretorius & Mulder they would not have put runs up in last 2 games.

On the rest. Conway gets a raw deal as he dominates the level below but can't seem to step up. He probably has to get one more chance and has to take it.

That comes to Rickelton (St Stithians) - I see Yaseen Valli (KES) (from the Markram, Smith, Rabada vintage) debuts for the Lions after scoring 150 opening last week for Gauteng. Him, Rickelton & another player to watch Grant Roelofsen (KES) (keeps in the 3-day games) are probably the one's I will watch there along with former St Stithians & SA u19 player Marques Ackerman playing for North West. The rest like Yassar Cook, Shaylen Pillay really don't interest me.

Definitely but I suppose with Australian cricket having a bit of a lo- ebb talent wise who knows. We definitely losing more teenagers to them though.

Just a random thought. What happens when someone like Vilas gets called to Australia. He doesn't have a national contract so his employee is the Cobras franchise or Western Province Cricket. Do CSA pay his salary for this time, and reimburse WP/Cobras for losing one of their senior players for some of their franchise games?
CSA will pay Vilas a match fee.

How CSA re-reimburses the franchises after call-ups is interesting. Probably has to be something pre-agreed that we aren't privy to ?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks SeamUp.

Still browse often, mainly for your domestic updates. Just been busy, for two years :laugh:.

Will be posting more now though. Especially with the series against Aus starting.
Good to know. Sometimes you go through periods where you find limited time to post. I certainly do. But like I said, the more Saffers the better.

Couple random thoughts/questions:

Really hope Chad Bowes produces the goods on the NZ domestic scene, always liked him.

What are your thoughts on Clyde Fortuin SeamUp? I remember there was quite a big buzz around him, and while I know he's still a youngster, haven't seen too much.

Is Mulder as good as advertised? Because man, i'm excited by what i've seen and read. South Africa need a player like him so badly.

With Puttick and Second keeping for their franchises, it does seem our stocks are quite low in that department. No obvious backup for QDK. Never been a Vilas fan.
TT Boy isn't wrong with what he said about Bowes but it's good to know he made an impression so quickly there to get into the Canterbury line-up. Pienaar supposedly dominating early doors in NZL and like Nofal will get picked up there soon. James Price is the other - his career never really flourished after dominating England u19s. I believe Brian Barnard is the latest to leave for New Zealand. Played for Gauteng and passed 1000 runs in England this off-season.

Fortuin is a very typical keeper-batsman. He nudges the ball around and runs hard between the wickets but does have a power game & I think he will get better with time. He certainly needs more big scores than he is making now but he is still 21. I think Heinrich Klaasen of the Titans is up there in their thoughts. Mosehle looks so good but he needs to add more substance to his game. Second is solid & his game defo more suited to longer version. I suppose we probably have to continue with Vilas but it wouldn't surprise me to see some of the younger brigade step up. A few years ago we definitely lacked keepers - even down to provincial level but I've mentioned the above and even some youngsters playing provincially like Kyle Verreynne (WP), Rivaldo Moonsamy (Northerns), Ryan Rickelton/Grant Roelofsen (Gauteng) who do have some higher level ability and former SA u19 players.

I think Mulder is as good as believed but the only issue is the massive pressure he is carrying at 18 ? Toyana believes he can carry it.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Aiden Markram is creaming it again.

To think he has been left out till now for certain other reasons.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
. The biggest disappointment has been new signing Reeza Hendricks but he hasn't been able to score more than 10 for about a year now , which is a mystery.
Reeza been really disappointing, considering the promise he was showing.

Marius

International Debutant
Another hundred for Markram, that kid is good.

I was feeling a bit despondent about SA cricket a while ago, but even with the player drain I think we have the talent still coming through.

If we can get the politics out of selection and get true development at grassroots development (rather than thinking having quotas at franchise and national level is right and sustainable) our long-term future as a cricket country is looking good.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Again sorry for the pop rhetoric.

Back to the cricket.

Is this a very good year in terms of new talent or is it normal year?

91Jmay

International Coach
Just a random thought. What happens when someone like Vilas gets called to Australia. He doesn't have a national contract so his employee is the Cobras franchise or Western Province Cricket. Do CSA pay his salary for this time, and reimburse WP/Cobras for losing one of their senior players for some of their franchise games?
In England, player's get a match fee and their county gets a fee if they are selected and not centrally contracted. Would guess there is a similar system in most countries.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Aiden Markram is creaming it again.

To think he has been left out till now for certain other reasons.
He replaced Elgar, didn't he?
Titans were opening the bowling with Henry Davids and a leg spinner earlier in the season, so they seemed a bit all over the place with regards to selection but things seem to be coming together now for Boucher.
Also, is Albie Morkel injured or just retired from FC cricket?

Marius

International Debutant
Titans were opening the bowling with Henry Davids and a leg spinner earlier in the season, so they seemed a bit all over the place with regards to selection but things seem to be coming together now for Boucher.
I recall he said he was retiring from FC cricket, and going to concentrate on the shorter stuff.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Retired from four day cricket. Only contracted for the 2 limited over comps.

SeamUp

International Coach
He did but a player of his quality needs to be debuting in franchise cricket before 22. If there were no quotas , there would have been space found for him. Last season he got 2 50-over games ? Crazy.

Boucher was always going to stamp his mark. Two brave calls to leave out Richards and Siboto for the extra pace of Dala and leg-spin of von Berg on a flat Newlands pitch. Because Richards/Siboto bowled well last game and so far this season.

Marius

International Debutant
Sixfer for Pretorius and 97 in the Lions' first dig.

He must be close to a Test call-up.

Marius

International Debutant
He did but a player of his quality needs to be debuting in franchise cricket before 22. If there were no quotas , there would have been space found for him. Last season he got 2 50-over games ? Crazy.

Boucher was always going to stamp his mark. Two brave calls to leave out Richards and Siboto for the extra pace of Dala and leg-spin of von Berg on a flat Newlands pitch. Because Richards/Siboto bowled well last game and so far this season.
Von Berg tying the Cobras in knots in Cape Town it seems. Figures of 2/3 at the moment.

You think he's ever been on the selectors' radar SeamUp?