• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
Article over the weekend with Geof toyana and young mulder says he is a batting allrounder. Young mulder reckoned he would end up batting 4 but Geof reckons he will bat 6 as his bowling will be too important.
Rock Solid. Saw his 6 to go to a hundred off Olivier who is no slouch. Very dismissive and made him look medium pace which he isn't as he is known to hit a few helmets in Sunfoil Series Cricket.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Just off the top of my mind the following players have left for pastures new full time in recent times.

Jacques Rudolph - Glamorgan
Sean Dickson - Kent
Brydon Carse - Durham
Matthew Pillans - Surrey
Keaton Jennings - Durham
Ryan McLaren - Lancashire via Hampshire
Bradley Wheal - Hampshire
Conor McKerr - Surrey
Roelof van der Merwe - Somerset
Corbin Bosch - Australia
Chad Bowes - Canterbury
Malcolm Nofal, Obus Pienaar, James Price all in New Zealand & looking to climb the ranks.
Grant Edmeades, Bradley Dial, Greg Oldfield all playing in England.

Obviously the Curran brothers moves to Surrey while still in school. Same goes for Bradley Hope who is now in the Western Australia junior structures. And you just look at New Zealand's young cricketers coming through and a large proportion of them are born in SA. Crazy when you think about it.

"He was a pretty talented kid when he left and by all accounts is pretty talented now. I'm always keen to get as many spinners as I can with the team, it's good to have a nice balance especially with what might happen with [Malcolm] Nofal pushing his case for higher honours."

Nofal is the South African who arrived in Onslow before last season and signed an affidavit declaring his intention to play cricket in New Zealand long-term.

He then scored 779 runs and took 41 wickets last year on the way to being named Wellington club cricketer of the year.

He could qualify as a local player for Wellington by January, so could be called up if his form warranted it.

His effect on the competition can be seen with two new South Africans landing on these shores after being forced out of their own country by racial quota selection policies.

James Price (Eastern Suburbs) and Obus Pienaar (Taita) have both played at provincial first-class level in their homelands, with Pienaar making it to the highest domestic level of franchise cricket with the Eagles.

O'Connor said their arrival could be linked to Nofal's form.

"He showed what a good Saffer, who is coming over for the right reasons to make a career for himself in cricket, can really do to help a club.

"It's good to see because it will only increase the standard of club cricket. The more Saffers the better I say, bring them over."

They don't always hang around though, with Luke Schlemmer departing Naenae midway through last season to return to the Dolphins franchise.

Last edited:

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
That is astonishing. The amount of SA talent playing overseas.

Something I have noticed when looking at 4 day records over the last decade is the tendency for players to play one full season the next season only half a season the next season and then they're gone the next season. It makes it hard to look at stats and really make a meaningful deduction of players' ability. Hence I stopped looking at 4 day stats 3 years ago since you don't know against what quality opposition it was achieved as the make up of sides changes so quickly and unexpectedly.

And considering the lack of interest nowadays in multi day cricket and lack of profits in it as well I guess it makes sense that people can't invest in it.

But it is heartening to see the new talent coming through.

There is cricket program on dstv channel 319 (mindset channel ) called Ikaqamba. The other day they interviewed Geoffrey Toyana. I didn't know his father was also a cricketer and he really has a love for the game.

SeamUp

International Coach
2 of the games in the latest round were run-fests while the Dolphins got the smashing their team should get !

AFTER 3 ROUNDS

Leading Run-scorers

Colin ACKERMANN
383 runs @ 76.60
Theunis DE BRUYN 292 runs @ 73.00
Jason SMITH 278 runs @ 69.50
Khaya ZONDO 276 RUNS @ 69.00
Eddie MOORE 274 runs @ 68.50
Heinrich KLAASEN 247 runs @ 61.75
Omphile RAMELA 203 runs @ 40.60
Daryn SMIT 188 runs @ 37.60
Pite VAN BILJON 187 runs @ 64.75
David MILLER 177 runs @ 177.00
Heino KUHN 169 runs @ 33.80
Rassie VAN DER DUSSEN 168 runs @ 33.60
Dwaine PRETORIUS 167 runs @ 83.50
Aiden MARKRAM 162 runs @ 162.00
Michael ERLANK 162 runs @ 32.40

Others of interest :

Rudi SECOND
162 runs @ 40.50
Wiaan MULDER 146 runs @ 29.20
Zubayr HAMZA 131 runs @ 26.20
Stiaan VAN ZYL 123 runs @ 24.60
Qaasim ADAMS 107 runs @ 21.40

LEADING WICKET-TAKERS (seamers)

Duanne OLIVIER 20 wkts @ 20.75
Robbie FRYLINCK 18 wkts @ 8.38
Marchant DE LANGE 17 wkts @ 20.58
Wiaan MULDER 16 wkts @ 14.06
Hardus VILJOEN 14 wkts @ 21.85
Malusi SIBOTO 13 wkts @ 18.38
Rowan RICHARDS 12 wkts @ 24.00

Out of interest :

Lungi NGIDI
7 Wkts @ 12.42
Dane PATERSON 7 wkts @ 41.85
Sisanda MAGALA 6 wkts @ 46.83
Beuran HENDRICKS 3 wkts @ 64.00

LEADING WICKET-TAKERS (spinners)

Keshav MAHARAJ
13 wkts @ 13.46
Simon HARMER 9 wkts @ 43.77
Shaun VON BERG 6 wkts @ 21.33
Dane PIEDT 6 wkts @ 56.66
Bjorn FORTUIN 5 wkts @ 35.40

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
That is astonishing. The amount of SA talent playing overseas.

Something I have noticed when looking at 4 day records over the last decade is the tendency for players to play one full season the next season only half a season the next season and then they're gone the next season. It makes it hard to look at stats and really make a meaningful deduction of players' ability. Hence I stopped looking at 4 day stats 3 years ago since you don't know against what quality opposition it was achieved as the make up of sides changes so quickly and unexpectedly.

And considering the lack of interest nowadays in multi day cricket and lack of profits in it as well I guess it makes sense that people can't invest in it.

But it is heartening to see the new talent coming through.

There is cricket program on dstv channel 319 (mindset channel ) called Ikaqamba. The other day they interviewed Geoffrey Toyana. I didn't know his father was also a cricketer and he really has a love for the game.
You just have too look at the recent SA u19 teams and how many have left from that.

I remember Conor McKerr (above) was selected for the u19 world cup but CSA found out he signed for Surrey and they replaced him in the squad.

It has to be a concern and that article is clear above that even players in our system are leaving due to quotas. Not only players but coaches as well.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Conor McKerr did well for Surrey 2nd team last year. Took 14 wickets for 281 runs @20 in 3 3 day games.

Bahseph

State Captain
The Dolphins just have way too many players who aren't suited for the roles they are expected to perform.

Realistically, the only player in the side who might have a Test future is Phehlukwayo. He has done well with the bat for the Dolphins but using Muthusamy as the sole spinning option was odd. With Maharaj on tour they don't have the player who functions as their stock and strike bowler.

SeamUp

International Coach
The Dolphins just have way too many players who aren't suited for the roles they are expected to perform.

Realistically, the only player in the side who might have a Test future is Phehlukwayo. He has done well with the bat for the Dolphins but using Muthusamy as the sole spinning option was odd. With Maharaj on tour they don't have the player who functions as their stock and strike bowler.
I just have real trouble trying to balance their best team out because no ways should a fit Savage and Dupavillon be left out but quotas make it so difficult. These two have been a great partnership since wreaking have at Maritzburg College together.

Their team for the last round.

Khan (averaging 4.60 in the first 3 games)
Erwee (averaging 26.20)
Smit (averagin 37.60 - but maybe he re-takes the gloves if M.van Wyk continues not to score runs?) ( I also see he scored a double hundred for Derbyshire 2nd XI last game of season)
VVJ (averaging 30.20)
Zondo (been consistemt & averaging 69.00)
Muthusamy (hard-worked 50 on first game but that is what he is about & some handy sla)
M.van Wyk (runs have dried up for some time now and 37)
Phehlukwayo
Frylinck (never liked him and that must have been a joke of a pitch)
Alexander 7 wkts @ 40.85
Shezi 7 wkts 34.42

* Alot of guys who come up with 1 performance in 6 there really.
** D.van Wyk wouldn't be much of an improvement on Erwee/Khan & Cody Chetty can't score a run and disappeared.

The guys outside who will could get a chance in the last 2 games before T20/50-over series.

Delport (T20 player only for me) (See he is only player with McLaren to sign for Pakistan t20) (Also re-signed with Leicestershire)
Makhanya (not exactly scoring runs)
Dithole (not exactly scoring runs) (was hoping he could be LT keeper but I see he only does so in LO cricket)
Savage (scoring runs & taking wickets)
Subrayen
Tahir (been made available for the next two 4-day games)
Dupavillon (played his first club game back from injury this past weekend)
Engelbrecht

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
For the Cobras it is going to be interesting. Some runs from Ramela finally and Puttick returned from absence to get a hundred as well. van Zyl also needs to really get over his lack of self-confidence eventhough he got an 83 in the 2nd game - he needs to do far more.

The bowling is the issue though. Piedt, Paterson, Moreki and Hendricks all average over 40. Poor really for the SA 'A' seamers particularly.

That is why Rory Kleinveldt will be back.

The imminent return of Proteas Test quick Rory Kleinveldt from a “nice little break” following an outstanding season with Northamptonshire in England will bolster the Cobras’ attack significantly.

“We are spending this week to get Rory up to speed with things. He’s had a nice little break, and a fresh Rory Kleinveldt is vital within our team - what he brings in terms of experience and a leadership point of view,” Cobras coach Paul Adams told Independent Media before the start of Thursday’s Sunfoil Series game against the Warriors.

“It could possibly be new roles for a Beuran and a Paterson of leading the attack. With that pressure on them, they’ve just got to make sure they do the basics well, and that’s the key message we are trying to give them. They’ve done it in the past and taken a lot of wickets, but it’s important that they understand how to lead the attack,” Adams said ahead of the Warriors match.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
LIONS V DOLPHINS from the 2nd round (week before last) - The Crazy Frylinck & Mulder game with the ball

SeamUp

International Coach
Colin Ackermann on his performance in the Cobras v Warriors game above. Will be a good signing for Leics.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some early team news

The Cobras will most likely hand former South Africa U/19 and Wynberg Boys’ High prodigy Kyle Verreynne a franchise debut behind the stumps this week due to regular gloveman Dane Vilas flying off to Australia to join the Proteas on the Test tour of Australia.

The Hollywoodbets Dolphins take on the VKB Knights at Sahara Stadium Kingsmead from 27-30 October. Play gets underway at 09h00 on Thursday with the match free for the public to attend.

Morné van Wyk (captain), Craig Alexander, Sarel Erwee, Robbie Frylinck, Imraan Khan, Senuran Muthusamy, Andile Phehlukwayo, Mthokozisi Shezi, Daryn Smit, Imran Tahir, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Khaya Zondo