• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Stock ball not threatening enough yet. A bit like a Narine, in that well suited to getting wickets in limited formats where the batsman has to come at you, with variations to keep them worried.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cribb and I have discussed this previously, but I reckon Jon Holland would be a pretty good call for a third spinner in SL. Obviously with Lyon/O'Keefe so far ahead of him it doesn't matter, but Holland would IMO be the guy in Australia who would benefit most from friendlier decks, giving him the ability to threaten both edges far more than he usually does. If SoK splits his webbing again, I'd back Lyon/Holland to form a Swann/Panesar India 2012-like attack.

Squad is more-or-less as expected, though I might have considered Stoinis ahead of Henriques. Given they're wanting the additional bowling workload on the #6 though, I can see the logic of Henriques as the MMarsh back-up. Also thought Bird might have been horses-for-courses'd, and realistically he would have been if Siddle/Patto hadn't both broken down.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Stock ball not threatening enough yet. A bit like a Narine, in that well suited to getting wickets in limited formats where the batsman has to come at you, with variations to keep them worried.
Interested to hear your take on it, but I'm still somewhat surprised by Zampa's success in the IPL and whatnot. His variations seem very easy to read.

Shady Slim

International Coach
big fan of henriques, have advocated for him over mmarsh before and this is his chance to claim that spot

mmarsh is actually a pretty good bowler for mine but with the bat he sticks around for less than chris gayle would to a female journalist after making a ***ist remark

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
are there really no superior options to smarsh?
One of the comments that annoyed me the most was that Marsh was picked as he has the ability to bat from 1 to 6. I don't think that young guys, particularly those who have shown that they can change gears (I'm thinking Stoinis and Head here) should be disadvantaged because they are rated at their state and often bat at say 3 and 4.

No players between the shield finalists.
This is disappointing. There is definitely a state or two (nah.. just one state) that seems to get a few extra players on overseas tours whenever they win the Shield. If either of the two I mentioned earlier or say Handscomb made the tour, I would have liked it. Even Boland over Coulter-Nile would make some sense.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
big fan of henriques, have advocated for him over mmarsh before and this is his chance to claim that spot

mmarsh is actually a pretty good bowler for mine
awta Henriques is a lot sounder batsman who makes better decisions, but MMarsh is the better bowler. That said, I'd be keen to keep playing MMarsh in all conditions because I think his batting has big upside that'll come with experience.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
has SA and VIC both never even had a player in a 15 man squad before?
That will be hard to confirm but you wouldn't expect it to happen often. Just recently Siddle makes most tours and before that you'd see squad that included Warne, Gillespie, Lehmann, Blewett, Elliott, Reiffel etc. Before that Jones and Hughes were there. I was trying to think of a tour that Warne missed like in the 1996 tour of India, but McIntyre played then.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to be a fascinating series, Australia usually suck on tour so it gives SL a good chance but they look so bad they should get beaten easily. Could be a hard series to watch in terms of quality cricket but if SL produce a turning track and raise their game and Australia play like they usually do in Asia then it could actually be a tight series. Good they got 3 tests too.

Burgey

Happy birthday, FJ.

Should be an interesting series. I expect Lyon to bowl well over there, assuming they don't do the usual first test thing and dump him for a 15 year old leggie who turned a couple square at a school holiday coaching clinic in front of Rod Marsh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Lyon took five on debut in Sri Lanka didn't he?

Or was that just back when everyone was always on debut

TheJediBrah

Lyon took five on debut in Sri Lanka didn't he?

Or was that just back when everyone was always on debut
It was also an absolute dustbowl where everything turned square, not quite as bad as the one where Clarke took 6/9 but still hardly even conditions

vcs

I remember Jayawardene hit a great century in the 2nd innings in the match they lost.