• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Pakistan Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A week away and amazingly nobody has started one, so I thought I'd oblige!

The news is that fans were queuing for more than a day before tickets went on sale for the first ODI.

Also it now appears that Sky Sports are covering it in England.

V Reddy

International Debutant
PY said:
1,000 people turned up for tickets and they aren't even on sale yet. :O.

BBC Cricket
That's common in subcontinent, PY. For the Ind-NZ match in Hyderabad last year, on the day of sale of tickets i went at around 5 in the morning but already the queque was 1 to 1/2 km long :O . I had to get tickets for that match in an illegal way.

BTW, around 25,000 were expected to go to Pak from India alone but Pak restricted it to 8,500 by issuing only that many visas. Lot of hype surrounding this series.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Armadillo said:
Can someone please clear up who is showing the indopak series
Seeing as you live in UK, Sky Sports is telecasting b'coz Gavaskar did not accept BCCI's invitation to visit Pak by saying he is cotracted by Sky Sports to commetate for them during that series.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Finally we have an official thread - there must be about fifteen threads on CC alone which concern this series ;)

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to next Saturday. Will be a cracker of a series, I expect it to go right down to the wire...but India to take it eventually 3-2.

masterblaster

International Captain
If Sky is showing it then Fox Sports in Australia should show it too, as Rupert Murdoch owns both networks.

Here's hoping anyway.....

(Does anybody know for sure if they are showing it in Australia?)

I think the test series will go down to the wire, and most likely be 0-0. But other than that a Pakistan win of 1-0 seems likely as India's bowling will struggle to get Pakistan out twice.

ODI's to India 3-2. All in all a very entertaining series is expected!

masterblaster said:

I think the test series will go down to the wire, and most likely be 0-0. But other than that a Pakistan win of 1-0 seems likely as India's bowling will struggle to get Pakistan out twice.

The real question is, can one guy in Akhter outgun six Gods (in Sachin,Dravid,Laxman,Ganguly, Sewag and Chopra)? I think its impossible for near impossible. Akhter might have taken quick 5-6 wkts against teams of the likes of NZ and Bang,but Indian batsmen are of different breed,and Pak will soon realise that getting Indianteamout twice in a test match will be one hell of a job.

Apat from Akhter the rest of Pak attack is pale. Sami is wayward, Shabbir is vey ordinary pacer, Saqlain is past his best while spinner like Danish are hard to miss in any club team in India.

In contrast Indian test attack (Ajit and Kumble will be back for test) have more variety and aggression. Idon't think how bowling out Pakistani batsmen wouldbe difficult for them especially when Pak team has an opener of the class of Shaid Afridi which has been a laughing stock in international cricket since a long time.

masterblaster

International Captain
I wouldnt be so ****y ajaagarkaraja. Agreed that Sami and Shabbir aren't as good as Akhtar, but Akhtar is a real threat.

A real BIG threat. Chopra, Sehwag and Ganguly are nowhere near batting 'gods'. I can see Akhtar getting Ganguly and troubling him very often.

India's bowling lacks penetration and experience at times, and Ajit Agarkar (no matter how much I enjoy see him playing well and support him) is inconsistent at best. Pathan too is inexperienced but is full of potential. Zaheer hasn't had any warm up games as of yet so he wont set the house on fire unfortunately.

Akhtar destroyed the much vaunted Australian batting lineup in Sharjah and Colombo in 2002, and if he can do that against Australia, he can do it against India as well.

Also you can never ever count Yasir Hameed, Yousuf Youhana, Inzamam Ul Haq, Abdur Razzaq and Shahid Afridi out.

Especially Afridi, he is the sort of player you make fun of, but he comes back and bites you on the backside. He saves his best for India and whether its with bat, ball or in the field, he always puts in some sort of match altering performance.

Saqlain has a fine record against India, and Shabbir and Sami might just put their critics to rest.

But my point is this ajaagarkaraja, never ever underestimate your opponent, always respect them - even if it is Bangladesh or Namibia, because if you don't respect an opponent and underestimate them, your half way there to losing mate.

I doubt Sourav Ganguly and John Wright would be carrying around your mentality. They will back themselves to win no doubt, but they will be also be weary of the opposition.

And that's how it should be.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
The real question is, can one guy in Akhter outgun six Gods (in Sachin,Dravid,Laxman,Ganguly, Sewag and Chopra)? I think its impossible for near impossible. Akhter might have taken quick 5-6 wkts against teams of the likes of NZ and Bang,but Indian batsmen are of different breed,and Pak will soon realise that getting Indianteamout twice in a test match will be one hell of a job.

Apat from Akhter the rest of Pak attack is pale. Sami is wayward, Shabbir is vey ordinary pacer, Saqlain is past his best while spinner like Danish are hard to miss in any club team in India.

In contrast Indian test attack (Ajit and Kumble will be back for test) have more variety and aggression. Idon't think how bowling out Pakistani batsmen wouldbe difficult for them especially when Pak team has an opener of the class of Shaid Afridi which has been a laughing stock in international cricket since a long time.
I would still say sami and shabbir are a danger.Sami only had one bad series against new zealand and i would say that he is going to improve and cause havoc.Shabbir is not ordinary,he is one of the better bowlers in the world right now as he proved against Bangladesh,SA and NZ.But you are probably right about Saqlain he is past his best but you never know he might cause a problem to the Indian batsman.I wouldnt class Chopra as a god in the indian team or Ganguly on current form but he does play his best against pakistan

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
masterblaster said:
If Sky is showing it then Fox Sports in Australia should show it too, as Rupert Murdoch owns both networks.

Here's hoping anyway.....

(Does anybody know for sure if they are showing it in Australia?)
Unlikely as they are showing Aus in SRL and NZ v RSA.

masterblaster

International Captain
They are showing the matches Craig, just saw the advertisement.

Although their showing 'Highlights' of each game and not LIVE.

oh well, Its still good enough for me!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We're only getting the highlights on Fox Sports but I'm grateful enough. I don't understand how cricket fans can live without Foxtel here in Australia, it must be hell. :(

I'm backing India 4-1 in the ODI series and Pak 1-0 in the tests unless our bowlers can pull something, I'm looking at you Pathan ;) It's gonna be one hell of a series, I can't wait. Oh and ajaagarkarajaaja, don't take such an arrogant train of thought in this series because only 3 of our batsman are "Gods" as you put it and I can see Akhtar troubling Ganguly as much as I want Ganguly to shut the critics up. It's going to be interesting none the less but if Sachin, Sehwag, Dravid or Laxman can get on top of Akhtar it could change the series (both ODI and Tests)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I do hope the people in control of the Indian team use this tour to improve their bowling and fielding- these are areas of concern and need a lot of improvement and this tour is the best chance to make the step ahead. The players whom they have to focus on are Yuvraj, Kaif, Irfan Pathan, Balaji, Powar and Karthik. The main players for the Indians are Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
shaoib will be a threat to all the batsmen

and ajaagarkarajaaa (or something like that)-gods
u think chopra , sehwag and ganguly are gods ?....hahahahahaha

and as far as the bowling for pakitan is concerned

i think that pakistan probably has the best opening bowling attack in world cricket today

i dont need to say anyhing about shoaib as everyone knows how good he is

sami is consistently bowling at over 90mph....and i think that he just might evenedge shoaib if the indians dont take him seriously

saqlain is the best off spinner in the world(along with murali) despite not being in the side recently.....just read the cricinfo paper round ....he has troubled the indians in the past and there is no saying that he will not do it again.....and with his inclusion i think that the pak spin department is also stronger that the indians

razzaq is a world class allrounder.....handy bowling (better than agarkar and bangar on even his worst day)....and pretty effective late order hitting

shabbir rounds up a pretty decent bowling lineup....the guy is more about consistency concentrating on line and length giving the pak attack a nice balance

support in the form of malik and afridi.....i think that the bowling bit is taken care of

now the batting......

inzamam and youhana are world class.....thats all i will say about them

taufeeq and farhat....check the stats to find out how well they have performed in tests for pakistan over the past few months....consistently putting up century partnerships against the likes of south africa (who have a beter bowling attack than india)

yasir hameed....aggressive , stylish and consistent, the problem of the no 3 position has been solved due to his emergence as a quality batsman...has been a regular run scorer since his inclusion in the pakistani side....he also opens the batting in odi's with farhat.....

younis khan.....very good player of spin....scored a century on debut against mualitharan(who is a bigger threat than all the indian bowling combined together).....is very strong minded.....despite being in poor form and in and out of the side will do pretty well as he just loves situations like the ones that he will be faced with against india

razzaq, malik , afridi........strong aggresive batting(although i still have my doubts about afridi).....

so there u go

and one more thing.........

chopra, sehwag, ganguly .......gods? hahahahaahaahahahaha