• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC hoping to add further World Twenty20 tournaments to schedule

Stapel

International Regular
Cricket at the Olympics would be a great idea, imho. But I guess it won't happen. Perhaps for the same reasons Rugby and Football don't get there (if one wonders: football at OG is for under-21's only). Many popular sports simply do not need the Olympics. And if they do get there, it really wouldn't mean that much. A Wimbledon title will always be more prestigious than an Olympic tennis title. Just like winning the Tour de France will always be more prestigious than an Olympic cycling title. So, the international governing bodies hardly have an incentive to get it towards the Olympics.

But if it happens, T20 it is!

91Jmay

International Coach
Would players give up the time required and do it essentially for free ( which is actually losing money, because it is potential earning time not realised) ? Although I could really get behind an U21 T20 tournament. Would be extra LOL when Misbah and Afridi turn out for Pakistan.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I want T20 to happen at the Olympics just for the LOL when the WI prima donnas realize they won't win the Olympic medal in the one format they're actually good at.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would players give up the time required and do it essentially for free ( which is actually losing money, because it is potential earning time not realised) ? Although I could really get behind an U21 T20 tournament.
I think it's more of the boards not wanting to undertake the expense rather than the players 'doing it for free', as the players are under contract anyways.

I would definitely be in favour of a U21 or even U19 tournament though.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't think it's about the players at all.

If it's an ICC tournament, the ICC generates income and it gets split amongst the constituent boards. If it's an Olympic event, the ICC does not generate comparable income and the boards to not get their cut.

yeah, it's been mentioned already but I thought I'd make the redundant post anyway.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Perhaps they could introduce it as an 'amateur' sport at the Olympics. None of the nations send in their contracted players. Except Pakistan who get to send in their best team because their players behave and train like amateurs anyway.

Daemon

Perhaps they could introduce it as an 'amateur' sport at the Olympics. None of the nations send in their contracted players. Except Pakistan who get to send in their best team because their players behave and train like amateurs anyway.
That's what happens at the Asian Games isn't it? Quite a failure imo and not a great way to show the world what Cricket is all about.

91Jmay

International Coach
I think it's more of the boards not wanting to undertake the expense rather than the players 'doing it for free', as the players are under contract anyways.

I would definitely be in favour of a U21 or even U19 tournament though.
Yeah, but vast majority of world cricketers earnings are via match fees which is banned at the olympics. Ergo if a team is playing Olympics when it could be playing JAMODI series the players would be losing money.

Daemon

Yeah, but vast majority of world cricketers earnings are via match fees which is banned at the olympics. Ergo if a team is playing Olympics when it could be playing JAMODI series the players would be losing money.
Had no idea