• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charlotte Edwards sacked

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I was pretty surprised at the way she was treated. Good article on cricinfo as well. Consummate professional.

For me to get closure and the team to move on, which is the most important thing, the decision had to be made. It is poor timing for me but right timing for the team. They are the most important people right now.
Absolute dignity even when been treated so poorly.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As far as I'm concerned the only relevant factor is whether or not she is one of the best 11 cricketers in the country/whether the best possible team is one that includes her.

If she's not, then "dumping" her is fair enough. If she still is and it's a decision based solely on "youth policy" or new management wanting to forge a new team, then it's ****

Howe_zat

Audio File
As far as I'm concerned the only relevant factor is whether or not she is one of the best 11 cricketers in the country/whether the best possible team is one that includes her.

If she's not, then "dumping" her is fair enough. If she still is and it's a decision based solely on "youth policy" or new management wanting to forge a new team, then it's ****
England's top run scorer at the World T20 last month, averaging 50 while the next best averaged 27
England's top run scorer at the last 50-over world cup in 2013
England's 2nd top run scorer in their last ODI series in SA

There's no argument whatsoever that she isn't one of the best

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely bizarre - after last summer's Ashes and the World T20 the women's game finally manages to get a toehold in the cricketing public's consciousness so they jettison their best player and the only one many people have heard of because she's 36?

flibbertyjibber

Seems a very strange thing to have done dumping your best player when they are still a huge asset. By all means remove the captaincy if results aren't good enough but keep them on as a player.

TheJediBrah

England's top run scorer at the World T20 last month, averaging 50 while the next best averaged 27
England's top run scorer at the last 50-over world cup in 2013
England's 2nd top run scorer in their last ODI series in SA

There's no argument whatsoever that she isn't one of the best
In which case it's an inexplicable decision

91Jmay

International Coach
Ridiculous decision. Coach wanting to remove big personalities in dressing room because he demands yes women (that phrase doesn't quite have the same ring to it!).

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to think this decision was almost entirely based on the recent semi-final against Australia where her running and general fitness were seriously poor. Clearly that has an impact on the rest of the team when the captain sets such a bad example. Yet she still scored at a better strike rate than anyone else in the top 5 and scored more runs than anyone else in the team during the tournament.

Is there no chance they could have simply told her that the running/fielding/fitness had to become a priority? Or even asked her to step down from the captaincy but remain in the team. It's very strange.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe not the topic to bring this up, but does anyone actually watch and enjoy the woman's game?

grecian

Maybe not the topic to bring this up, but does anyone actually watch and enjoy the woman's game?
Nope it's not the place to bring it up, and I would rather watch it then the IPL for instance.

This seems a bit of a bizarre decision, but the capitulation at the t20 World Cup was pretty awful.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Nope it's not the place to bring it up, and I would rather watch it then the IPL for instance.

This seems a bit of a bizarre decision, but the capitulation at the t20 World Cup was pretty awful.
So you would rather watch a women's T20 match than men's? Does this apply to other formats as well lol?

grecian

So you would rather watch a women's T20 match than men's? Does this apply to other formats as well lol?
No I said I'd rather watch an International woman's T20 than the IPL lol

I have nothing against T20 cricket, just franchise cricket lol

I would definitely prefer the men's version than the women in a comparable type of match lol

Yet I have nothing wrong with watching women's cricket if it's on lol

This putting a superfluous lol on the end of any comment you want to when you choose to ridicule the posters view is good isn't it lol?

Anyway Edwards has been very dignified in all this, a lesson to many others, I'm sure she'll pick up a decent coaching role somewhere in the MCC, and well-deserved. I wonder if she'll go down the reality TV route? Kinda hope she doesn't but you could see her doing well on the likes of Strictly.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway Edwards has been very dignified in all this, a lesson to many others, I'm sure she'll pick up a decent coaching role somewhere in the MCC, and well-deserved. I wonder if she'll go down the reality TV route? Kinda hope she doesn't but you could see her doing well on the likes of Strictly.
Strictly, acceptable..... the jungle, not acceptable.

TheJediBrah

No I said I'd rather watch an International woman's T20 than the IPL lol

I have nothing against T20 cricket, just franchise cricket lol

I would definitely prefer the men's version than the women in a comparable type of match lol

Yet I have nothing wrong with watching women's cricket if it's on lol

This putting a superfluous lol on the end of any comment you want to when you choose to ridicule the posters view is good isn't it lol?

lol?