• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When was Azharuddin forgiven?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you don't know what it's like to have an effigy burned of you
Having an effigy of you burned in India means nothing. Effigies R Us is a ****ing franchise operation over there. Whole stores sell only Ponting effigies.

Better than having your name painted on the side of a donkey anyway.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
maybe not but i still think my point is valid. aussie and british cricket captains don't have to worry about being killed when their team does badly. didn't people try to break into dhoni's house once? or am i misremembering

either way, the fact that effigies are an everyday thing/not a big deal doesn't change the fact that they're hectic and if you're on the receiving end of one, i'd imagine a little scary. and yeah they'd make me stop caring about the fans too and more willing to accept money

am i crazy? i feel my point is good if not a little dramatic. maybe SC captains don't literally have to worry about being killed, but they are more likely to receive a bigger backlash from the public for a much more insignificant thing (losses) than nearly all other professional athletes on earth

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Every celebrity worth their salt here have had their effigy burnt. It's a bit hilarious to think that mr_mister finds it like the most depressing and demoralizing thing that can happen to someone.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mister's view is strange and somewhat irrelevant because it's not about being disloyal to your country, it's about fraud. It's a massive crime.

mr_mister

I guess i don't care about white collar crimes involving money or consider them all that bad - probs a side product of all the weed i've smoked in my life lol. i remember i fought a good fight against half the forum arguing Amir deserved a second chance at cricket after his fixing stuff

violence though, **** that, not for me

mr_mister

and lol i'm fighting a war on 4 fronts here. anktji don't put words in my mouth - i never said what you said i said

hendrix, my loyalty to the country/fans stuff was in response to people saying i don't know what it's like to have people shout 'fix' after every team loss. i assume that person's beef with azharudin is because what he did was a **** you to the fans

so yeah i think it's relevent

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
so yeah i think it's relevent
to you, it's relevant and that's fine.

To me, what I care about:
1. The likelihood that millions and millions of dollars was obtained fraudulently through these fixes, with almost all of it going to career criminals. This is not a stretch, this is pretty much exactly the case.

A very distant second:
2. The erosion of the credibility of the sport.

I might have a minor emotional feeling for the fans....but it's all quite minor compared to the above 2, particularly number 1.

"doing a disservice to your country" or to your fans...nah.

mr_mister

ah okay i was basically arguing against what i perceived to be people fighting about the credibility of sport so yeah you're right.

however even in your response to point 1 - I feel being mega famous (like any cricketer would be in India, a nation of 1 billion cricket lovers) is already halfway toward a mental illness in itself. nobody could handle so much fame at such a young age and turn out normal IMO. fame corrupts and changes people on principle

maybe a cop out answer but whatever, I still have sympathy for Mo. And Amir, and all of them basically. it's pretty damn hard to emphasise with these people and relate them because none of us have been there

indiaholic

International Captain
Nah.. Sounds like a bunch of horse ****.. People become mega famous and go on cocaine binges. Match fixing is not a consequence of fame or for that matter effigy burning.

cnerd123

likes this
Lets also take a moment to remember that Azhar cheated on his wife with a bollywood actress whom he later married.

I dont like to judge people, but he clearly isn't a great role model.