• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When was Azharuddin forgiven?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
But if we are to bring in some one in a panel of esteemed captains for Azhar, would far more sense to bring in some one who is an esteemed captain.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, according to the film, Azhar took bribes and fixed matches solely to keep the rest of the team clean and take all the blame himself. He's basically The dark Knight, people. The hero we deserve :wub:

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, according to the film, Azhar took bribes and fixed matches solely to keep the rest of the team clean and take all the blame himself. He's basically The dark Knight, people. The hero we deserve :wub:
You paid good money to watch this? It looks as big a racket as match fixing itself. Not going near it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
PEWS, permission to retcon "Don't be Zohaib" to "Don't be Azhar"?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I watched his earlier movie on cricket where he played a bookie. Was a sympathetic look towards a bookie.
Heh, was reading this book the other day that expounded, in satirical terms, on that sort of mentality these dodgy instigators have.

Background: Guy is a fence for high art who's been anointed by the thieves to strike a deal, and Jacques Perly the 'recovery agent' for the Insurance companies representing the victim, Harry Hochman. (When it's well-recognised art, potential buyers are scarce, so the thieves instead employ the fence to sell the stuff back to the insurance companies for a sum that is lesser than what the insurance companies would generally have to compensate the actual owner with. In monetary terms, a win-win situation for both the thieves and the insurance company, and no loss to the victim other than the subsequent premium-hit. Sound similar to the argument of 'victimless crime' made by some folks in match fixing threads?).

“Good afternoon,” Guy said as Tony seated him and Angelo distributed menus and Kwa Hong Yo brought rolls, butter, and water. “You’re looking well.”
“And you.”
Menus were consulted, food and wine were ordered, and then Guy took the bulky envelope from his inner pocket and, without a word, handed it over. Perly raised an eyebrow, removed the photos from the envelope, leafed through them, and smiled dolefully as he said, “A well-documented felony.”
‘These are professionals,” Guy assured him. “We don’t have to worry about any of the works being harmed.”
“No, I suppose not. May I keep these?”
“Of course.”
Food and wine arrived and were consumed, with small talk about the city, the weather, the disappointing Broadway season— “Although Nana: The Musical isn’t bad,” Perly suggested—and one’s plans for the summer.
Then, over espresso and raspberries, Perly said, “Honestly, Guy, the extreme professionalism of these people, with all these Polaroid prints, gives me pause. Are we creating this monster, you and I?”
Guy looked askance. “Which monster is that, Jacques?”
“These thieves,” Perly explained. “If they were to steal a loaf of bread, it would be to eat. If they steal money, it’s to spend; jewelry, to pawn. But when they steal an art collection like this”—tap tap on the envelope of photos—“it is only to sell it back. And how could they do that, if it were not for you and me? We are certainly collaborators in their crimes, but are we more? Do we encourage the commission of these crimes, by our very existence? Do we instigate them?”
“Nonsense,” Guy said in automatic disagreement. “People will steal anything; you know that as well as I do. We don’t encourage the theft; we encourage the recovery.”
“Without the punishment of the perpetrators.”
“With or without,” Guy said, dismissing that. “Capturing is the police’s job. Recovery is ours.”
“But if we didn’t exist, Guy, you and I, what would these very professional thieves do with all these paintings and sculptures they’ve just loaded so precisely into their truck? Would they present their demands direct to Harry Hochman? He’d set the dogs on them.”
Guy smiled faintly. “Or the shotguns, more likely.”
“Exactly. We are the go-betweens, and necessary, if anything useful is to be done. But in this instance, don’t the go-betweens create the very condition they’re supposed to be alleviating?”
Guy shook his head, irritated by this conversation and surprised that a man like Jacques Perly would demonstrate such compunction. “The thieves will sell Hochman’s art to the insurance companies, through us. You want to know what they would do without us? Or without the insurance companies, who, after all, put up the money, so maybe they create the monster.”
“Very possible,” Perly said, nodding.
Guy didn’t need that particular agreement. “Without any of us,” he said, “the thieves would find a way to make contact with art dealers in Europe. Switzerland, for instance, or Holland. Or maybe South America.
The dealers would buy, no questions asked. The dealers—some of the dealers, anyway, and you know a number of them yourself, Jacques—those dealers would be happy to cobble together brand-new authentication and sell the works to collectors anywhere. There’s a market beyond us, Jacques, and you’re just being provocative to suggest there isn’t, and you know it. What we do is keep the collection together, no small consideration, and in the rightful owner’s hands.”
Eyes twinkling, Perly sipped espresso, bit delicately into a raspberry, and said, “So, Guy. You mean we are without guilt?”
“Absolutely,” Guy said. Blotches of red stood on his cheeks.
“Such a relief,” Perly murmured.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I could forgive Cronje as he showed contrition, but still stayed banned from all forms of cricket. I don`t think he was misunderstood, he just was stupid. Azhar has shown no contrition or remorse as far as I`m aware no reason to forgive.
Depends whether you believe he told the whole truth for the king commission or not. I don't believe he did, believe he left out a lot...

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have more respect for Azharuddin than most when it comes to match fixers(eg Hansie)

This is a man who gave his all for his country and still had to cop thousands of people burning effigies of him and threatening violence at various times when the team he captained lost important matches (1996 world cup)

My morals and respect for my country might get corrupted too