• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When was Azharuddin forgiven?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Like seriously, I must have missed this. Over the last few months, he seems to have gone from the man who almost killed Indian cricket to this misunderstood hero. The **** almost destroyed the game and now he's being treated like a god on television during the IPL broadcast. Why? Because his son died? Because of that absolute farce of an episode where his ban was "lifted"?

Just in time for the release of that scummy as **** (and totally 100% factual 8-) ) movie based on his life too. Makes me sick to my stomach. Had to say it.
Is his brother directing his movie as they did for cronje. Also tried to paint him as the misunderstood man who took a wrong turn.

We now look at the surrounding circumstances eg his mental state at the time, stress of the captaincy or some bull****

In 2016 we like to view criminals as more sympathetic.

Hansie is looked at as 'misunderstood' as well by the general public
By the gulable ones who buys the story "the devil made me do it".

Cronje,azhar and malik deserve to be rotting somewhere.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is his brother directing his movie as they did for cronje. Also tried to paint him as the misunderstood man who took a wrong turn.

By the gulable ones who buys the story "the devil made me do it".

Cronje,azhar and malik deserve to be rotting somewhere.
I could forgive Cronje as he showed contrition, but still stayed banned from all forms of cricket. I don`t think he was misunderstood, he just was stupid. Azhar has shown no contrition or remorse as far as I`m aware no reason to forgive.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Cronje made a show of contrition, which is distinct from actual contrition.

He struck an indemnity deal with prosecutors over the course of the Kings Commission.

You know what's contrite? Not striking an indemnity deal. Accepting the full consequences of your actions.

The word you're looking for is shrewd, not stupid.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Cronje made a show of contrition, which is distinct from actual contrition.

He struck an indemnity deal with prosecutors over the course of the Kings Commission.

You know what's contrite? Not striking an indemnity deal. Accepting the full consequences of your actions.

The word you're looking for is shrewd, not stupid.
Nobody wants to end up in jail, whether they are sorry for their actions or not. The consequences on him where still severe emotionally and practically.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nobody wants to end up in jail, whether they are sorry for their actions or not. The consequences on him where still severe emotionally and practically.
Quite true, and absolutely irrelevant here. An integral component of contrition is repentance by accepting consequences due to him. Cronje did all he could to avoid the consequences. Actions speak louder than words read from a script, crocodile tears flowing down his cheeks.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I just watched he trailer of the movie. Was hoping it would give a detailed account of the match fixing fiasco, but seems more interested in portraying Azharuddin as a hero who got victimised for one mistake. Shame - an opportunity missed. An actual portrayal of the whole fixing fiasco would make for an interesting movie.

Also, wtf? When was there a Test played between India and Pakistan in the 90's, that too at the Oval where supposedly Azharuddin bowls India to victory?

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember watching a pre-series show before the Pak-Ind 'Aane Do' ODI series when Junaid was insane. It consisted of 6 'esteemed captains' from both sides - Imran, Kapil, Ganguly, Wasim, Waqar and Azharuddin lol. Was taken aback seeing him celebrated with the others on an equal platform and no one brought up the obvious elephant in the room.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I just watched he trailer of the movie. Was hoping it would give a detailed account of the match fixing fiasco, but seems more interested in portraying Azharuddin as a hero who got victimised for one mistake. Shame - an opportunity missed. An actual portrayal of the whole fixing fiasco would make for an interesting movie.

Also, wtf? When was there a Test played between India and Pakistan in the 90's, that too at the Oval where supposedly Azharuddin bowls India to victory?
The movie also seems to address his second marriage to an actress without his first wife's permission*. They'll probably also whitewash that fiasco in some manner.

*It's legal in India cause he's Muslim, but nevertheless a dog act doing so without your first wife's go ahead.