• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016

Groundking

International Debutant
What if he takes 5-6 wickets in this game whilst Finn struggles?
Go with 5 seem up options :ph34r:

Cook
Hales
Robson
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Finn
Anderson

May as well, its our bowlers + Bairstow who are bailing us out every match ffs.

Also I'd much prefer Robson come in before Borthwick, as he has prior test experience, and has only done a little bit worse than Borthwick this season so far, so I'd expect him to perform better from the get go, giving us less headaches trying to get a decent top order together, then I'd get Borthwick in for Vince at 5 when Vince eventually fails.

I'd give Vince until the second Pakistan test, as that'd be 8 innings, and if he doesn't make a score at all in any of them I think it's fair to drop him, plus having a form bat come in at 5 who hasn't had test experience before gives more protection to let them get a good start and confidence at this level, before we inevitably **** about with the batting again.

91Jmay

International Coach
Robson scored millions of runs at Lords which has been super flat all year (no 1st dig FC score of less than 350 on it) but not much elsewhere IIRC.

Stapel

International Regular
Go with 5 seem up options :ph34r:
Woakes' FC & Test batting averages are not too bad. His FC avarage is better than Stokes'.

So, after giving it some thought, I come to the conclusion your suggestion is not as rediculous as it appears to be. Still ridiculous though.

If Finn, Broad, Anderson & Stokes are fit, Woakes can consider himself unlucky. For the batting spot, assuming Compton has to go, I'd pick Ballance. Dropping him last year was harsh, if not wrong.

91Jmay

International Coach
Ballance has been playing badly for Yorkshire. Picking him would be very bizarre.

Woakes is a more consistent batsmen than Stokes, don't think anyone (apart from Scaly) doubts that however he doesn't have the genius destructive innings in him Stokes has.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone's talking about Borthwick, which means inevitably it'll be Jason Roy batting #3 for England.

91Jmay

International Coach
The real bolter is Bell-Drummond. He has the requisite aggression and stroke play for Bayliss to fall for him and to be fair is in god mode in CC.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The real bolter is Bell-Drummond. He has the requisite aggression and stroke play for Bayliss to fall for him and to be fair is in god mode in CC.
Must admit i spoke to my dad yesterday and we both agreed Borthwick should play next test match but both thought we will go Bell-Drummond at 3 instead.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
tough day for us yesterday I gather by letting JB of the hook and dropping him early. I have also read about a umpires decision referral which was tough but didn't see it so cant comment. I gather our fielding was sloppy yesterday and its such a shame that we let England off the hook when we were in a good position. Hope that we get the remaining wickets fairly quickly instead of having to chase 500 again !!

91Jmay

International Coach
tough day for us yesterday I gather by letting JB of the hook and dropping him early. I have also read about a umpires decision referral which was tough but didn't see it so cant comment. I gather our fielding was sloppy yesterday and its such a shame that we let England off the hook when we were in a good position. Hope that we get the remaining wickets fairly quickly instead of having to chase 500 again !!
Wasn't tough, was just out. Awful onfield decision then far too much leeway given to umpires on review.

Groundking

International Debutant
Bairstow looking like he wants to get a move on here. Not sure that is the tactic, to this extent anyway.
I think we can't let them just bowl at us like we did yesterday, but I agree, at least get past 350 before we start going after them.

91Jmay

International Coach
Never had a doubt about Woakes batting ability as a number 7. Just the bowling is the issue, and there is only room for him or Stokes. He is a good player to have as injury cover though as part of a 5 man attack, that is for sure.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's batting depth is like Hanuman's tail.. never ending. Must be bloody annoying for fielding sides.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The length of the English batting line-up and the speed at which Bairstow scores runs is turning England into a frustrating team for the opposition and an excellent team to watch.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, for a while our batting length was theoretically good but it never really performed but in the last 12 or so months it has bailed us out constantly.