• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2016

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't underestimate the SL tendency to inexplicably leave out Kaushal Silva despite him being one of the more consistent opening batsmen in the world
Mathews did specifically say those two were going to be the openers. :p

Niall

International Coach
The Lanka posters here are good lads so not saying this to troll, but a clean sweep in all the formats is possible, England's test side is on the rise while Lanka not awful really shouldn't get near them unless Matthews goes into beast mode.

England have finally figured out limited overs cricket and Lanka lost a home series to Pakistan thus deserve little respect and have been slipping for a while in white ball cricket which is understandable when you remember the quality of players they have lost.

Howeever,I did say that Arsenal would win the league this year so go bet Lanka:D

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I reckon prasad could clean up this series, very underrated and nips the ball around nicely. Can see him having plenty of joy with England's fragile top order
Prasad will do ok but I reckon it will be Chameera who will step up. He has the pace and is quickly learning about the right areas to bowl..Just hope that he doesn't go mad trying to bowl excessive short stuff due to having wickets that help quick bowling..As everyone knows, batting will be our struggle so I do think a lot depends on kusal mendis at #3. he is still young and I am not sure he is ready yet but he is probably better than most others we have for that spot. I also agree with Prince EWS team apart from I reckon Pradeep will get the nod ahead of lakmal..Am going to Durham on the sunday so hope it doesn't rain and will be at the first ODI so looking forward to it..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't underestimate the SL tendency to inexplicably leave out Kaushal Silva despite him being one of the more consistent opening batsmen in the world, and the tendency to randomly recall Thirrimanne.

This is the team I'd go for, ftr.
I like Silva but he was really, really bad in that home series vs India. Don't know if he's turned it around since then.

91Jmay

International Coach
The JB in 91Jmay's team is Bairstow rather than Buttler. There's a chance Bairstow will move up to five and Buttler will come back in but I don't think it's the most likely outcome at this point.
Can't see Buttler getting back in before the Pakistan series. IPL contract + lack of FC games before then.

Niall

International Coach
I like Silva but he was really, really bad in that home series vs India. Don't know if he's turned it around since then.

He isn't that good to be honest. He averages 31 in 24 tests with one fifty in his last five tests 2 of which were against the imperious West Indies, its not exactly the stuff of legends is it?:-O

He was decent last time in England so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with him this time around, but you'd totally understand if they looked elsewhere

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I dislike the idea that Thirimanne has to play either at no. 3 or not at all. For instance, if we think he's a better batsman than Dickwella then what's the harm in giving him a go at no. 7 especially given SL are starting the series as severe underdogs (i.e. quick scoring is not likely to be a requirement for their no. 7)?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I dislike the idea that Thirimanne has to play either at no. 3 or not at all. For instance, if we think he's a better batsman than Dickwella then what's the harm in giving him a go at no. 7 especially given SL are starting the series as severe underdogs (i.e. quick scoring is not likely to be a requirement for their no. 7)?
The one thing Thirimanne can do is eat up deliveries. That doesn't have much value at no.7 tbh. He'd just get stranded on 8*.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The main purpose of Dickwella is to prevent having Chandimal both bat 4 and keep wicket -- it's too big of a burden long-term -- and I think the rest of the batsmen are better than him.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The one thing Thirimanne can do is eat up deliveries. That doesn't have much value at no.7 tbh. He'd just get stranded on 8*.
Or, he'd help Chandimal or Mathews convert what could have been a 39* to a 93*.

Anyways, if Dickwella is a keeper then playing him ahead of Thirimanne makes sense.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i know this will be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit but I do think that Thirmanne will do okay in English conditions..He tends to do ok on faster wickets and has a reasonable record in Aus too.. Personally I am not convinced about Dickwella but I suppose time will tell..

91Jmay

International Coach
Whilst he could do well because he is surely drinking in the last chance saloon, he averages 8.6 in England in 6 innings. Isn't he a massive bunny of Anderson as well?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
yes but then again there are quite a few ppl you could say that about..thing is personally, I think he is a good player he just hasn't proved it..i think the reason is that he tries to force the pace of his batting instead of accumulating runs (which I think he is more suited to) .To be fair I think Dickwella will probably get the nod ahead of him due to keeping but as I said, I am not yet convinced about his abilities with the bat...

vcs

When it comes to any optimistic predictions about Thirimanne, I'll believe it when I see it. :D