Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Isn't Mark Butcher in the ODI side?

Why Isn't Mark Butcher in the ODI side?

????????
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Probably because of his 27.98 List A average with just 1 hundred. Then again, Collingwood averaged under 30 before he played any ODIs (from memory, not sure) with 1 hundred. Vaughan averages 27.12 with 1 hundred.

All in all, he may end up one of the better Test players to never get a look in in ODIs.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Yes but if hes so successful in tests they might as well give him a try in OD. England need an opener right now, maybe hes the man for the job.

The England selectors seem to think that Vaughan is the man for the job in ODIs, but I think that if they were to try someone else, a younger batsman (Strauss perhaps?) would be the better option.

I think Michael Vaughan has been one of the worst cases of a batsman who has failed under captincy

Admittedly he has been under par thus far, but he's had a couple of good innings and it's too early to call him a failure. Habibul Bashar has had a worse start...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Armadillo
    I think Michael Vaughan has been one of the worst cases of a batsman who has failed under captincy
    Vaughan's ODI failures are absolutely nothing to do with the captaincy.
    He has never been a good one-day player all his career. Exactly the same, in fact, as Butcher. Neither should have been \ should be picked for ODIs.
    Test-match success doesn't mean a thing as to ODIs, we've seen that countless times. They're different forms of the game.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    The England selectors seem to think that Vaughan is the man for the job in ODIs, but I think that if they were to try someone else, a younger batsman (Strauss perhaps?) would be the better option.
    Strauss has never been much of a one-day player either.
    His 2003 wasn't too bad, but the time before that wasn't too impressive.

International Coach
    Well, maybe he has improved?

Just a suggestion.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

If thy've never tried butcher in OD then they might as well, what is to stop him playing really well

Pinball Champion!
    Amazing.. I was just about to post a thread reguarding Butch not being in the ODI side

Anyway.. for the first time in his int career, I think Trescothick doesnt warrant selection any more...

I would like to see Butcher replace him at the top of the ODI order...

As for Vaughan, well they cant ditch him from ODI's if he is captain... And im not sure if there is a viable alternative with proven class...

None of this will happen while Fletcher is at the helm of English cricket IMO.........
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Anyway.. for the first time in his int career, I think Trescothick doesnt warrant selection any more...
    Is this the Trescothick that is 9 in the ODI ratings for PwC?

He's had a few low scores, but also 5 times past 50 in his last 13 innings...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Originally posted by Richard
    Strauss has never been much of a one-day player either.
    His 2003 wasn't too bad, but the time before that wasn't too impressive.
    Yes, but he has similar stats to Bucther (averagewise anyway) and if you're going to go for a player averaging in the high 20's, you might as well expose a player who has a shot at playing until well past the next WC.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Is this the Trescothick that is 9 in the ODI ratings for PwC?

He's had a few low scores, but also 5 times past 50 in his last 13 innings...
    Didnt realize he was so high up!

His early form in the WI, one day or not is really worrying... and I dont think he has the technique to stay at nine for much longer...

Hmmm... Chris Gayle doesn't have the greatest technique, but he continues to score impressively. I think that it's largely due to his temperament and new-found maturity.

In the last year or two he has been far more selective outside offstump and more willing to exercise the leave-alone. As such he has reaped the benefits of flying up the ODI rankings.

I haven't seen Trescothick bat in a while, but from what I've heard his lack of foot movement is really getting to be troublesome. Gayle is still pretty leadfooted but, as stated above, his shot selection has helped diminish the exposing of this flaw. When Trescothick debuted I distinctly remember that he had rather superb judgement on and outside offstump. It frustrated the hell out of the West Indian bowlers. Has he given this up or is it still part of his game?

This is not an analysis as much as it is a general comment.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information