• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which batsmen scored the most memorable Test centuries in history?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Absolutely, to average just about 40 in that era is like averaging 50 these days and to be keeping most of the time is really impressive.
When keeping his average was a fair bit below 40 though and he wasn't a particularly good keeper

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely I'm missing something here. I see nothing in this thread from Gob and Jedi which warrants those hostile posts from Black_Warrior and hb.

OverratedSanity

Well, he called AB's 169 at Perth one of the most memorable innings ever.... Don't really know how to respond to that.

Even Jono, who hates people calling AB a downhill skier will agree that that innings was one of the prime examples of downhill skiing. It wasn't exactly the best innings to pick in such a thread, although 'memorable' is of course a subjective word.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha. It was downhill skiing. So was Gilchrist's near fastest ton ever vs. England in Perth 2006.

No reason why a downhill skiing knock can't be memorable.

Mind you I remember bugger all out of AB's 169. It was a weird choice, but its a subjective question. Its not a "best backs to the wall innings ever" thread

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Sure, fine. I know it's subjective.

But when Jedi and Gob pointed out what we weird choice it was, Bw and hb went on a weird spiel about how they don't appreciate anything not Australian. Was awkward.

OverratedSanity

de Villiers most memorable knocks haven't even been tons imo. I'll never forget that 1st Test against Australia in the 2014 tour where Johnson was godlike and the blockathon in Adelaide.

He really doesn't belong on this list.
Honesty, I don't think even VVS does. He obviously has memorable tons (ie) 281, 167, 100 vs SL in the 4th innings, but a large portion of his great knocks are <100. Like the 73 vs Australia, and the 96 at Durban.

@ Thread Dravid's played some of my favourite innings of the last 20 years or so. Lots of his big hundreds in 2000-06 were very memorable.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Supercat probably had some worth mentioning, in particular in 1975 against Lillee and Thomson at their peak. 145 at the WACA and 102 in Melbourne. I'll also put his 161* against India in 1983 up there too. A low scoring affair only Mako, Roberts and Lloyd got past 50 (he came in at 4/42). Without him it's a lot more in favour of the opposition

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How is AB's 169 even subjective in the context of this thread?

Many people remember it, hence it's memorable.

This is not the Which batsmen scored the most quality Test centuries in history? thread.

OverratedSanity

Oh and the hostility is what you get for not so much as a hi after your return, ****.
Hi. You ****head.

Seriously though, the last month has been comfortably the toughest of my life because of some personal issues.

I know everyone was just beginning to miss me though. That much was obvious.

Gob

International Coach
Haha. It was downhill skiing. So was Gilchrist's near fastest ton ever vs. England in Perth 2006.

No reason why a downhill skiing knock can't be memorable.

Mind you I remember bugger all out of AB's 169. It was a weird choice, but its a subjective question. Its not a "best backs to the wall innings ever" thread
It sure was

I think when you read the OP it gives you the impression that one way or the another this thread talks about great knocks and after all nine times out of ten the reason that a knock turns out to be memorable cos its great. I think the two other prominent ways a knock can be memorable without being great is when it comes at a manic pace or when a fading great player somehow find his touch and turns the clock back. Gilchrist knock was memorable for those two reasons imo. DeVilliers's was neither really