• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which batsmen scored the most memorable Test centuries in history?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously not no.1 as that's Lara but Alec Stewart is a good shout for a top 10 place. To get 2 tons in a singe Test against Walsh and Ambrose is incredible, then there's the 2nd innings ton at Manchester against SA, i'm sure there's another gun innings against either SL or Pakistan too.

His hundred in the 98 ashes was a rare bright spot for England that summer

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
surely Donald Pollock and Ninti > Steyn, Philander and Morkel
Well, firstly, how often did they even play together? If at all?
Secondly, Ntini was pretty ordinary until well after Donald retired. If they did play together then it would have been in Ntini's early days, and he was nothing to write home about.
Steyn, Philander and Morkel were all at the peak of their powers.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
^You saw the South African innings? That's progress mate. Well done.
Black waria reverting to personal insults after being called out for his 5064th **** **** **** post and Dishonest Bharani logging later in the day and liking it. Everything is fine with the world
Dunno how anyone could rate de Villiers 150 at Perth against a completely second-string bowling attack (all 3 first choice bowlers were left out after bowling themselves to death at Adelaide) under minimal pressure higher than Clarke's 151* on a Cape Town minefield against probably the best South African bowling attack that ever existed.

Strange things happen though. And of course "memorability" is obviously highly subjective.

I still wouldn't put Clarke ahead of Waugh or Gilchrist as far as memorable hundreds go though.
AB DeVilliers cant hold a candle to Micheal Clarke at playing great innings but of course i say this because of i'm bias towards Aust and not because its actually the case.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Stewart was the sort of player most teams of his time would have killed to have in their lineup.

Daemon

de Villiers most memorable knocks haven't even been tons imo. I'll never forget that 1st Test against Australia in the 2014 tour where Johnson was godlike and the blockathon in Adelaide.

He really doesn't belong on this list.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Black waria reverting to personal insults after being called out for his 5064th **** **** **** post and Dishonest Bharani logging later in the day and liking it. Everything is fine with the world

Gob posting biased and obviously false bull****... .. 8-)

Gob

International Coach
de Villiers most memorable knocks haven't even been tons imo. I'll never forget that 1st Test against Australia in the 2014 tour where Johnson was godlike and the blockathon in Adelaide.

Would add some of the knocks in the recent Indian series

social

Surprised that noone has mentioned Viv

His first test century (192* vs India at Dehli on a turner against an attack of Bedi, Prasanna & Venkat) was a masterpiece and it continued on from there

In odis, his 138* at Lords in '79 and 189* at Manchester in '84 were as good as it gets

Throw in some great knocks during WSC and there are plenty to choose from with many being made against top attacks

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly,
Gob failing to appreciate any cricketer outside of Australia.
Gob getting jealous when a non Aus cricketer actually performs against Australia
Gob accusing me of personal attacks when he has a history of personal attacks against me.

So yes, everything is most certainly fine with the world.

AB DeVilliers cant hold a candle to Micheal Clarke at playing great innings but of course i say this because of i'm bias towards Aust and not because its actually the case.
You were free to make a case for that. Like every other thread on CW, everyone is welcome to post their thoughts. Yet instead of doing that, you resorted to attacking my post about AB. I found AB memorable hence I posted that. If you find Clarke memorable, go ahead. So now when you come out and make a **** post like that, it has zero relevance.

From what I can gather, neither JediBrah nor you are comfortable with a forum such as CW with a diverse range of fans from different cricketing nations, who will express their various perspectives. This is a complete departure from the Channel 9 style of cricket analysis which starts, ends and revolves around Australian cricketers, which you would be more used to. This is ultimately at the root of this problem. So every time you come into a thread where Australian cricketers are not at the epicentre of all the praise and attention, you end up reacting like this.

Dunno how anyone could rate de Villiers 150 at Perth against a completely second-string bowling attack (all 3 first choice bowlers were left out after bowling themselves to death at Adelaide) under minimal pressure higher than Clarke's 151* on a Cape Town minefield against probably the best South African bowling attack that ever existed.
Same attack bowled out SA for 225 in the first innings and it featured Johnson and Starc, who according to you and Gob were described as a lethal combo with a lot of firepower.
But again, this is not really about the whether they were great knocks or not, hence all those things you mentioned are irrelevant.

For me that knock is memorable purely for the level of excitement and nature. It came after a very different knock at Adelaide when he blocked his way to a draw, to come out all guns blazing at Perth against two 145+ bowlers and smashing them gave me a lot of entertainment, hence memorable.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

You are right. I was actually thinking about that as a ton but it's actually 91. That for me would be his best and most memorable knock but the others I was thinking of were
169 at Perth
103 at Perth chasing 414 which again, was extremely exciting for me just for the magnitude of that achievement, chasing that score in the 4th innings.
164 at UAE against Pakistan 2013 which again might not seem much but he came when the match was at a crucial stage and Pakistan were 1-0 up, and were bowling really well. And the way he played Ajmal and Babar, and also Junaid and Irfan who were bowling well was incredible for me. Other than him and Smith, no one else really scored in that innings, and South Africa ending up with 500 plus and winning comfortably kind of makes it sound easier than it was.

Other than that, his recent half centuries in India were top class as well when he clearly looked a few notches ahead of every other batsman in that series for the first 2 tests.

Surprised that noone has mentioned Viv

His first test century (192* vs India at Dehli on a turner against an attack of Bedi, Prasanna & Venkat) was a masterpiece and it continued on from there

In odis, his 138* at Lords in '79 and 189* at Manchester in '84 were as good as it gets

Throw in some great knocks during WSC and there are plenty to choose from with many being made against top attacks
I am sure he would have been at the top of this list had more of those knocks been televised and made available online today. But then again, the fact that we didn't get to see them live would take away a lot of the 'memorableness'. All the knocks I mentioned were ones I had actually watched live and when you are actually in the moment of the match, that's when a special knock becomes memorable.

social

Sure but people are mentioning Sobers, Bradman, McCabe etc.

All great players but at least Viv's career is available on youtube

Watch him - guy was sublime

Gob

International Coach
Certainly,
Gob failing to appreciate any cricketer outside of Australia.
Yes that's why i called Tendulkar the finest batsman i've seen live, Kohli the GOAT in ODI's, DeVilliers the most gifted batsman going around

Gob getting jealous when a non Aus cricketer actually performs against Australia
Absolutely why else did i called the McCullum Christchurch ton the best i've seen

Gob accusing me of personal attacks when he has a history of personal attacks against me.
Awww cute.

You were free to make a case for that. Like every other thread on CW, everyone is welcome to post their thoughts. Yet instead of doing that, you resorted to attacking my post about AB. I found AB memorable hence I posted that. If you find Clarke memorable, go ahead. So now when you come out and make a **** post like that, it has zero relevance.
What the ****?Both Amla and Smith played better innings imo hence i said that. That DeVilliers knock was one of his finest downhill skiing efforts (like most of his tons) and anyone who actually even mentions that in a thread for great test innings must not have seen much cricket. Clarke comment was for Jedibrah

From what I can gather, neither JediBrah nor you are comfortable with a forum such as CW with a diverse range of fans from different cricketing nations, who will express their various perspectives. This is a complete departure from the Channel 9 style of cricket analysis which starts, ends and revolves around Australian cricketers, which you would be more used to. This is ultimately at the root of this problem. So every time you come into a thread where Australian cricketers are not at the epicentre of all the praise and attention, you end up reacting like this.
You gather ****. I am perfectly comfortable with most people here but unfortunately i cant tolerate **** ones and you unfortunately happens to be a one of the ****iest.

TheJediBrah

From what I can gather, neither JediBrah nor you are comfortable with a forum such as CW with a diverse range of fans from different cricketing nations
Brah I've never once even hinted at complaining about excessive anti-Australian attitudes on the forum, whether they truly exist or not. Quite the opposite in fact it is others with massive chips on their shoulders that get all hot under the collar at anything they perceive as pro-Australian.

So very ironic post that one you've made, I'd have to say