• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which batsmen scored the most memorable Test centuries in history?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I am going to base mine from the 90s too.

10 Steve WAUGH
9 Sachin TENDULKAR
8 Michael SLATER
7 Kumar SANGAKKARA
6 Ricky PONTING
5 Kevin PIETERSEN
4 Virender SEHWAG
3 Adam GILCHRIST
2 VVS LAXMAN
1 Brian LARA

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doug Walters belongs in this argument. IIRC he made two tons in a session, including the famous last ball six off Willis at the WACA. He also made some massive scores in really quick time. Was a great player to watch when e got going.

Bijed

International Regular
It's not memorable for the same reasons as the ones others people have been suggesting, but I won't be likely to forget Gillespie's 201*

Daemon

From the current era I can actually recall more of Cook's tons than a lot of others. I should clarify that it's not because they were that breathtaking but more because the images have burned into my retina over time.

Mike5181

International Captain
Overall McCullum's not even in the same stratosphere as someone like Brian Lara, but thinking back he's genuinely played some of the most insane test innings. A lot were....not so good. But in this case I'm talking about some of his best performances (that I can remember anyway):

302 vs. India. Batted 13 hours, and saved the game
202 vs. Pakistan. I remember the sombre/weird atmosphere this innings was played in as much as the display of destructive batting.
145 vs. Australia. Smashes the fastest test century of all-time against a pretty good attack when his team was under pressure (3 for 30 odd). (SR at the end was 183.54) Should also note that this was his last ever test.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
memorable, i.e. you remember it, i.e. you have seen it.

So other than old pricks like Burgey, most of these are going to be recent ones for people.

Therefore it is Kohli's ton in Sydney with the whole Aussie crowd chanting "Kohli's a wanker" when he was on 99, and me wahhhhing at them in the stands. He then got a ton and did a pelvic thrust at those same fans.

What a memorable moment.

Burner

International Regular
Yeah, I am sure a lot of us would have memorabled Grace's exploits if we were alive back then. Or even if there were videos of it. Bit silly to complain about the old guys not being in here.

Kirkut

International Regular
Most of Tendulkar's memorable knocks came in ODIs, my favourite ones apart form the popular choices like the Sharjah knocks are :

1. 117* 2008 CB series final : Not many talk about this innings, but for me this is big. It was a good pitch for batting but the fielding from Australia (especially Symonds) and their short pitched bowling made this chase very difficult. I also believe this innings played a big role in Tendulkar's second coming as a top batsman which lasted for 3 years till that 2011 England series.

2. 175 vs Australia in 2009 : Nearly chased 350.

3. 124 vs Zimbabwe 1998 Sharjah : Odd choice, but if you want to see Tendulkar at his complete potential, watch this knock.

Had his 136 won the game for India against Pakistan in that 1999 Chennai test, it would have been ranked on par with Lara's 153*.

Kirkut

International Regular
memorable, i.e. you remember it, i.e. you have seen it.

So other than old pricks like Burgey, most of these are going to be recent ones for people.

Therefore it is Kohli's ton in Sydney with the whole Aussie crowd chanting "Kohli's a wanker" when he was on 99, and me wahhhhing at them in the stands. He then got a ton and did a pelvic thrust at those same fans.

What a memorable moment.
Were you the one holding the banner 'KING KOHLI' in that game ?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Jono has never bothered to carry Kohli banners to the stadium. This might sound unintuitive and even paradoxical at first glance, given the general knowledge among CWebbers of the impurity of his thoughts towards Kohli, but is easily explained once you realise that holding up a banner requires the use of two hands.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono has never bothered to carry Kohli banners to the stadium. This might sound unintuitive and even paradoxical at first glance, given the general knowledge among CWebbers of the impurity of his thoughts towards Kohli, but is easily explained once you realise that holding up a banner requires the use of two hands.
Also he's playing hard to get (and not just in the CW sense of how hard he gets on this issue).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol de Villiers doesn't belong on this list. Such an over-rated Test player.
Not sure you are on the same page. He could very well be overrated as a test player (not saying he is) and still have a memorable hundred. I mean most would argue for Tendulkar to be a great test batsman, yet do you see him mentioned?
Tamim Iqbal has a memorable century at Lords, smashing Swann and Anderson to smithereens and he is not a great batsman by any means. The only reason I didn't mention him is because he only has 1 and I set a subjective standard of at least 3-4 knocks to qualify.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Dunno how anyone could rate de Villiers 150 at Perth against a completely second-string bowling attack (all 3 first choice bowlers were left out after bowling themselves to death at Adelaide) under minimal pressure higher than Clarke's 151* on a Cape Town minefield against probably the best South African bowling attack that ever existed.

Strange things happen though. And of course "memorability" is obviously highly subjective.

I still wouldn't put Clarke ahead of Waugh or Gilchrist as far as memorable hundreds go though.

Last edited:

Stace

First Class Debutant
Obviously not no.1 as that's Lara but Alec Stewart is a good shout for a top 10 place. To get 2 tons in a singe Test against Walsh and Ambrose is incredible, then there's the 2nd innings ton at Manchester against SA, i'm sure there's another gun innings against either SL or Pakistan too.