• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How About a Test Match World Cup?

Which team would win the Test Match World Cup, if it was staged this year?

• Australia (1877)

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • England (1877)

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • South Africa (1889)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Indies (1928)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • New Zealnd (1930)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • India (1932)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Pakistan (1952)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Sri Lanka (1982)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Zimbabwe (1992)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Bangladesh (2000)

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

open365

International Vice-Captain
I would love to see a test world cup.

Imagine if it was done properly,with the 2 teams in the final thouroughly deserving to be there(no problems with match times,weather ETC,) playing a one off 6 day match to win a world cup.

I think it would be amazing, and something worth striving for,no matter how difficult it may seem atm,just imagine Australia playing England in a test match for the world cup,how amazing would that be.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Really, I think the current test championship is good enough. It'll become more interesting once Australia falls back into the pack too, because we'll eventually have series where the #1 ranking is on the line.
You are right there. I guess the ICC championship is the closest thing we have at the moment. Imagine, let's say, that the next Ashes series had the series winner winning the World Cup for tests as well as the Ashes.

I used to like Cricinfo's idea where the test champion would have the title, then when another team beat them in a series, they would become the new champions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
20 out of 28 is stupidly tight scheduling as well.

If sides play back to back games, then the quality and fitness is suffering.

To play 4 in a row could make the final nigh on a farce.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
20 out of 28 is stupidly tight scheduling as well.

If sides play back to back games, then the quality and fitness is suffering.

To play 4 in a row could make the final nigh on a farce.
Cricketers seem to be playing that much anyway.

Maybe spread the games out a bit more - three day breaks between games. 20 days out of 32? I would guess that not all of the games would go five days anyway.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you were having 3 day breaks in between games during a 4 game competition then it would actually be 20 days out of 29 - I'm surprised the (other) pedants missed this.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Use the ICC Rankings a little more and you get two groups of three:

1: A, C, E
2: B, D, F

Each team plays two games, winners go into a final (or semi-finals could be used). Pool one takes place in one country, pool B in another. The final would be held in the country of the higher ranked team, and if semis were used they could take place in the group winner's country. This would result in the ICC seedings being utilised a little more.

The biggest problem with FC and Test games is teams playing for draws - makes boring cricket. First innings lead is no good as teams get in the lead and kill the game. Run rate devalues the principles of Test cricket so can't be used. Altogether it's probably not the best idea - maybe a four way play-off between the top four ranked countries at the end of the Ten Year Cycle would be a better alternative.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sirjeremy11 said:
Maybe spread the games out a bit more - three day breaks between games. 20 days out of 32? I would guess that not all of the games would go five days anyway.
Still too near to each other - Tests shouldn't be sandwiched into as small a period as possible.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Still too near to each other - Tests shouldn't be sandwiched into as small a period as possible.
Agreed. Maybe someone should tell the ICC that.

Any ideas then how to have a Test World Cup, or do you just think it is impossible?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I don't actually think it would add anything to be honest.
Do you think it wouldn't add anything more than the ICC Test Table adds, or do you think that adds nothing also?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Fact remains that they are. Current tour between WI and NZ - between the 9th and the
29th of March, they play three tests. That is a possible 15 days of cricket over 21 days.

I know it will probably be more like 9 or 10 days though... :laugh:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sirjeremy11 said:
And do you feel that the ODI World Cup adds anything?
Yes, the World Cup does add something, because all the sides can prepare towards it, and it can be easily played in a month or so without any fear of burn out (in fact the opposite really as there's a fair gap between games)

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
A world cup could be great and should be tried.

Its no logistic nightmare at all.

Let the top 8 qualify and play a straight knock out. it would take just 3 weeks

(and be interesting right from the beginning instead of loads of pointless one-sided group matches.)

It would even take little out of most teams as half the teams would just play one game.

Its probably mainly needed for minnows to have something to aim for, as they arent involved in great series. What does a NZ test cricket fan have to look forward to after all?

If it works well I would even consider playing it every year as a sort of play-off at the end of the season.
Of course some issues would have to be solved such as there actually being a world season to finish, but it could be great for the real game to have a major event that isnt based on 2 specific teams. like other sports have world cups, Wimbledon, baseball or NFL play-offs, Champions league ko stage, tour de France etc.

Nothing wrong in trying it.