• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's greatest ODI team of all time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
if someone wants to tally up from where I did I'll take it from there. On my phone til tomorrow.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Totals

Sachin Tendulkar (76)
Viv Richards (75)
AB DeVilliers (71)
MS Dhoni (63)
Adam Gilchrist (56)
Michael Bevan (54)
Ricky Ponting (49)
Virat Kohli (45)
Andrew Symonds (39)
Lance Klusener (35)
Sanath Jayasuriya (34)
Brian Lara (33)
Mike Hussey (32)
Dean Jones (25)
Shane Watson (22)
Hashim Amla (21)
Kumar Sangakkara (21)
Zaheer Abbas (19)
Mark Waugh (17)
Gordon Greenidge (12)
Matt Hayden (12)
Jaques Kallis (11)
Javed Miandad (7)
Virender Sehwag (7)
Steve Waugh (7)
Greg Chappell (5)
Brendon McCullum (5)
Aravinda DeSilva (3)
Inzamam ul Haq (3)
James Faulkner (3)
Jonty Rhodes (3)
Saeed Anwar (3)
Abdul Razzaq (2)
Jos Buttler (2)
Michael Clarke (2)
Sourav Ganguly (2)
Damien Martyn (2)
Chris Gayle (1)
Shahid Afridi (1)
Quinton deKock (1)
Allan Border (1)
Glenn Maxwell (1)
Yuvraj Singh (1)
Shakib al Hasan (1)
Martin Guptill (1)
Moises Henriques (1)
Darren Lehmann (1)
Angelo Mathews (1)
Clive Lloyd (1)
Kane Williamson (1)

Wasim Akram (77)
Glenn McGrath (64)
Joel Garner (63)
Muttiah Muralitharan (62)
Shane Warne (41)
Shaun Pollock (39)
Saqlain Mushtaq (30)
Andrew Flintoff (28)
Kapil Dev (24)
Richard Hadlee (21)
Brett Lee (21)
Allan Donald (18)
Curtly Ambrose (17)
Shane Bond (16)
Waqar Younis (15)
Dennis Lillee (11)
Imran Khan (8)
Dan Vettori (8)
Michael Holding (8)
Nathan Bracken (6)
Mitch Starc (6)
Brad Hogg (4)
Jeff Thomson (2)
Ravichandran Ashwin(1)
Zaheer Khan (1)
Anil Kumble (1)
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Ajantha Mendis (1)

(I've included all posts, including those which only include one XI (3 points each), although these could distort the figures).

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
looks like the team will have 3 bonafide number 11's batting 9, 10 and 11.

CW has failed in its mission

harsh.ag

So we got this I think:

Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Michael Bevan
MS Dhoni +
Andrew Symonds
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Gilly loses out to Dhoni marginally (unless people are okay with having two keepers in which case Ponting is replaced by Adam Gilchrist)
Kohli loses to Ponting marginally (unless people are okay with having two keepers in which case both Ponting and Kohli lose to Gilly)
Klusener loses out to Symonds marginally

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So we got this I think:

Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
AB de Villiers
Micahel Bevan
MS Dhoni +
Andrew Symonds
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Gilly loses out to Dhoni marginally (unless people are okay with having two keepers in which case Ponting is replaced by Adam Gilchrist)
Kohli loses to Ponting marginally (unless people are okay with having two keepers in which case both Ponting and Kohli lose to Gilly)
Klusener loses out to Symonds marginally
For me Gilchrist as an opener is much better (Sorry Dhoni) And how does Klusener even come close to Symonds. Symonds >> Klusener.

Kohli continues on with current performances will probably replace Ponting.

harsh.ag

For me Gilchrist as an opener is much better (Sorry Dhoni) And how does Klusener even come close to Symonds. Symonds >> Klusener.

Kohli continues on with current performances will probably replace Ponting.
Dhoni got more votes than Gilly though. So either we have one wk only and that will be Dhoni, or we pick two keepers and Gilly comes in for Ponting (who got less votes than Gilly overall, but the outcome would most likely have been different if people were voting between them just in terms of batting).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Thanks for tallying it up fellas.

I feel like Ponting shouldn't open seeing it wasn't his role (he never opened in an ODI) but he does look good there!

watson

Banned
Thanks for tallying it up fellas.

I feel like Ponting shouldn't open seeing it wasn't his role (he never opened in an ODI) but he does look good there!
The two highest placed openers are Tendulkar and Jayasuriyah. MS Dhoni out-scores Gilchrist so he gets the keepers spot.

The two highest placed allrounders on 39 points are Andrew Symonds and Shaun Pollock, and since they are tied I can pick either one. Symonds makes more sense because the middle-order needs strengthening due to the weakness of the tail.

Therefore the team is;

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Sanath Jayasuriyah
03. Viv Richards
04. AB De Villiers
05. Michael Bevan
06. Andrew Symonds
07. MS Dhoni
08. Wasim Akram
09. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Jayasuriyah, Symonds, Richards, and Bevan should be able to successfully bowl out 10 overs between them.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

The two highest placed openers are Tendulkar and Jayasuriyah. MS Dhoni out-scores Gilchrist so he gets the keepers spot.

The two highest placed allrounders on 39 points are Andrew Symonds and Shaun Pollock, and since they are tied I can pick either one. Symonds makes more sense because the middle-order needs strengthening due to the weakness of the tail.

Therefore the team is;

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Sanath Jayasuriyah
03. Viv Richards
04. AB De Villiers
05. Michael Bevan
06. Andrew Symonds
07. MS Dhoni
08. Wasim Akram
09. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

Jayasuriyah, Symonds, Richards, and Bevan should be able to successfully bowl out 10 overs between them.
Gilly as an opener is higher placed than Jayasuriya, though.

watson

Banned
Gilly as an opener is higher placed than Jayasuriya, though.
Since you are losing a good 5th bowler in Jayasuriyah, and Pollock is the equal highest placed allrounder, the team would have to be,

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Adam Gilchrist
03. Viv Richards
04. AB De Villiers
05. Michael Bevan
06. MS Dhoni
07. Shaun Pollock
08. Wasim Akram
09. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

The lower order 7 to 11 is too weak IMO, and having two keepers is odd. Don't like the team too much.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Since you are losing a good 5th bowler in Jayasuriyah, and Pollock is the equal highest placed allrounder, the team would have to be,

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Adam Gilchrist
03. Viv Richards
04. AB De Villiers
05. Michael Bevan
06. MS Dhoni
07. Shaun Pollock
08. Wasim Akram
09. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

The lower order 7 to 11 is too weak IMO, and having two keepers is odd. Don't like the team too much.
Could just keep Symonds in. Sachin and Viv and Bevan are more than enough to get a few overs in if Symonds doesn't click.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Take another voting on what should be the best XI according to the votes.
After that, design a draft somehow based on these numbers (e.g. total votes for XI players mustn't exceed 150).
Then put up a poll to decide who won that draft.

We won't stop.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Why no mention of Starc? His overall performance in that WC has to be the greatest ODI bowling achievement of all time.

Sachin
Sanath
Viv
Virat
AB
Bevan
Dhoni
Akram
Starc
Garner
Saqlain

Teuton

International Captain
Hi all, my first post but i thought had something to offer.
I have done a statistical analysis to come up with my teams. it takes into accounts runs, wickets, wk dismissals, matches/innings, batting strike rate, economy rate and which years they played in. There is some subjectivity with how to weight them of course but i was curious as to how well the stats support the range of opinions. I'd say there was one surprise in the first team

First XI:
Sachin Tendulkar - undisputed legend, ~5000 runs more than anyone else @44 over 463 games #2 overall in rankings.
Adam Gilchrist - awesome strike rate and more dismissal/inns than any other contenders.
Zaheer Abbas - a surprise but averaged 47 across 62 games in the 70s & 80s at a modern strike rate of 84.
Viv Richards - my stats have him well ahead of every other batsman: average of 47 @ S/R of 90, and i remember him batting 4 after Richardson so will slot him here.
Ricky Ponting - averaged 42 across 375 games with 30 centuries.
AB de Villiers - averages 54 with S/R of 100 - ridiculous. Top 3 all-time so far, and a great hitter at the end which is the only reason he is at 6.
Kapil Dev - narrow inclusion based on S/R & economy over his obvious rival (see Team 2).
Richard Hadlee - #1 bowler for me, econ of 3.3 and average of 21 with bat and ball.
Wasim Akram - a special bowler over many years: 502 wkts @ 23.
Joel Garner - miserly, even for the early days, averaged 18.1 with econ of 3.1.
Muttiah Muralitharan - clearly the best spinner with 534 wkts at 23.1.

Second XI:
Gordon Greenidge - averaged 45 in 70s & 80s with legendary Windies teams.
Tillakaratne Dilshan - over 10000 runs @39 and over 100wkts as well.
Virendar Sehwag - awesome S/R of 104, batted at 3 many times after Sachin & Sourav.
Brian Lara - over 10000 runs @40.
Javed Miandad - another all-time legend with 7000 runs @41 across the 70s, 80s & 90s.
MS Dhoni - unlucky not to be in 1st team, awesome middle order batting, decent keeping.
Imran Khan - unlucky not to be in 1st team, bat avg 33, bowl avg 26.
Shaun Pollock - ave 24 with ball with great modern econ of 3.7, bat avg of 26.
Saqlain Mushtaq - 1.7 wickets/innings with avg of 21 (every team needs a spinner).
Dennis Lillee - legendary fast bowler, 1.6 wickets/innings with avg of 20 in early days of ODIs.
Glenn McGrath - dominated for years with 381 wkts @ 22.

Third XI:
Saeed Anwar - 8000 runs @39 with 20 centuries in the 90s
Sourav Ganguly - 11000 runs @41 with 22 centuries in 311 games.
Kumar Sangakkara - modern legend, unlucky to not be higher but wk spot was closely contested, 14000 runs @42.
Virat Kohli - already 7000 runs @51, could well work his way into 1st XI over the next few years.
Jacques Kallis - 11000 runs @44 and a decent bowler too.
Aravinda de Silva - 9000 runs in 80s/90s, carried the team until the rest of SL team developed.
Sanath Jayasuriya - just missed out as an opener but i will slot him here as an allrounder with a S/R of 91.
Shane Warne - brought leg spin to LO cricket, 293 wkts@25.
Michael Holding - 142 wkts@21 in the 70s/80s
Andy Roberts - 3rd Windies paceman from their great era already, bowl avg of 20 in his 56 matches.
Waqar Younis - 416 wkts@23 with 13 5wi, more than anyone else.

I reckon i could get a least 50 teams using my analysis and a bit of time...