• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's greatest ODI team of all time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
1st XI
†Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
M Waugh
Hussey
Bevan
Symonds
*Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

2nd XI
Tendulkar
Watson
Jones
Martyn
*S Waugh
de Villiers
†Dhoni
Hogg
W Akram
Thomson
Lillee

3rd XI
Jayasuriya
*Clarke
Richards
Lehmann
†Sangakkara
Flintoff
Klusener
Starc
Garner
Muralitharan

edit: 1st XI may raise a few eyebrows, but would beat pretty much any other in an actual match IMO.

Warne got into 1st XI over Hogg because I needed a good captain

unlucky to miss out: Gillespie, Kohli, Warner, Amla, Sehwag, Mitchell Johnson, Waqar
With the intention of this thread to be ATG world XIs, I'm finding it hard to take seriously a post that has all Australian players in the first XI, and almost 50% of the 2nd and 3rd XIs being Australians.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2nd XI

Greenidge
Gilly +
Amla
Abbas
Bevan
Watson
Flintoff
Symonds
Warne
Bond
McGrath

3rd XI

Jayasuriya
Lara
Sangakkara +
Deano
SWaugh
Hussey
Klusener
Hadlee
Lee
Saqlain
Donald

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the intention of this thread to be ATG world XIs, I'm finding it hard to take seriously a post that has all Australian players in the first XI, and almost 50% of the 2nd and 3rd XIs being Australians.
tbh my answer might have been slightly different if the task was to pick a team of XI ATG players rather than picking an ATG team that would win in an actual match which is how I interpreted it

watson

Banned
tbh my answer might have been slightly different if the task was to pick a team of XI ATG players rather than picking an ATG team that would win in an actual match which is how I interpreted it
I think that Richards and Garner were pretty good at helping their team win games.

harsh.ag

How does having Sachin and Viv in your first XI make it less likely for the team to win an 'actual match'?

Daemon

tjb all over the place. picking clarke as the 5/6th best opener the biggest crime of all.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely :) You have probably seen me asserting that before. Greenidge IMO is second best ODI opener after Tendulkar, ahead of not just Haynes but also Anwar, Hyaden, Ganguly, M. Waugh etc.
You have managed to not mention the only 2 openers who have justifiable claims to be considered as the 2nd the best ODI opener imo - i.e. Brian Lara and Hashim Amla

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Mate, your 3rd 'XI' has 10 players.
lel you got me I only know 32 cricketers

edit: I thought about it while I was at the gym, and if I can add an 11th player to my 3rd XI it'll be Moises Henriques, for team balance

and I respect everyone else's teams, just because I didn't put certain players in my XI doesn't mean I don't rate them as players, Tendulkar may be a better ODI cricketer than Mark Waugh, but I just went with the team I thought would win matches. We all saw from the World XI matches in 2006 that a great Team will beat a group of great players thrust to play together

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Agree with this.
Makes a joke of the exercise in my opinion.

vcs

edit: I thought about it while I was at the gym, and if I can add an 11th player to my 3rd XI it'll be Moises Henriques, for team balance

and I respect everyone else's teams, just because I didn't put certain players in my XI doesn't mean I don't rate them as players, Tendulkar may be a better ODI cricketer than Mark Waugh, but I just went with the team I thought would win matches. We all saw from the World XI matches in 2006 that a great Team will beat a group of great players thrust to play together
May be true in general, but Australia's team in 2006 was also better than ROW XI on an individual comparison basis. Not the best example to support your argument.

TheJediBrah

May be true in general, but Australia's team in 2006 was also better than ROW XI on an individual comparison basis. Not the best example to support your argument.
very good point, but I still feel it supports my choice. I understand if most people don't agree but if everyone thought the same thing then it wouldn't be any fun now would it?

edit: I know Aus were good, but I still have a hard time believing that a team with a top 9 G Smith, Sehwag, Dravid, Kallis, Lara, Inzamam, Flintoff, Boucher, Vettori couldn't score 200 in either innings of a Test. You can't just put that down to "Australia's team in 2006 was that much better" IMO. The ODIs were a wash as well IIRC.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

So why didn't you have the Windies team of the 70s and 80s as your 2nd XI?

Red

The intention was an XI of ATG players. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but everyone else got it.

I'll disregard your initial post and wait for you to change it if you wish.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
1st

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Mark Waugh
03. Vivian Richards*
04. AB De Villiars+
05. Michael Bevan
06. Andrew Symonds
07. Lance Klusener
08. Shaun Pollock
09. Wasim Akram
10. Joel Garner
11. Murali

2nd

01. Adam Gilchrist+
02. Gordon Greenidge
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Brian Lara
05. Michael Hussey
06. M.S. Dhoni*
07. Shane Watson
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Shane Warne
10. Shane Bond
11. Glenn McGrath

3rd

01. Sanath Jayasuriya
02. Virender Sehwag
03. Kumara Sangakkara+
04. Aravinda De Silva
05. Yuvraj Singh
06. Steve Waugh*
07. Abdul Razzaq
08. Brett Lee
09. Mitchell Starc
10. Waqar Younis
11. Saqlain Mushtaq

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
01 S Tendulkar
02 A Gilchrist+
03 V Richards
04 V Kohli
05 AB de Villiers
06 M Bevan
07 A Flintoff
08 W Akram
09 S Warne
10 M Muralitharan
11 G McGrath

01 S Jayasuriya
02 M Waugh
03 R Ponting
04 D Jones
05 M Hussey
06 MS Dhoni+
07 L Klusener
08 R Hadlee
09 S Mushtaq
10 C Ambrose
11 J Garner

01 S Anwar
02 B Lara
03 K Sangakkara+
04 A de Silva
05 A Symonds
06 J Rhodes
07 S Watson
08 S Pollock
09 D Vettori
10 B Lee
11 W Younis

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

The intention was an XI of ATG players. Sorry if that wasn't clear, but everyone else got it.

I'll disregard your initial post and wait for you to change it if you wish.
Can't think of how I'd change it tbh. I could replace someone with Viv Richards or Sachin Tendulkar but still can't see it being that much stronger so don't see the point, I wouldn't hold your breath. Feel free to disregard it if you wish, I forget how seriously people take these things sometimes.

Red

Can't think of how I'd change it tbh. I could replace someone with Viv Richards or Sachin Tendulkar but still can't see it being that much stronger so don't see the point, I wouldn't hold your breath. Feel free to disregard it if you wish, I forget how seriously people take these things sometimes.
It's not a matter of "how seriously people take these things". But there's no point in doing them if the participants don't treat them with some sort of seriousness. I suspect there's an element of trolling with what's going on, but if there's not I apologise. However, you've gone against convention with your first team by making them all from one nation, but then you seemed to understand the process with your 2nd and 3rd teams by blending them. So, y'know.

Rest assured, I won't hold my breath waiting for your update. If you want to provide it though, feel free.

TheJediBrah

It's not a matter of "how seriously people take these things". But there's no point in doing them if the participants don't treat them with some sort of seriousness. I suspect there's an element of trolling with what's going on, but if there's not I apologise. However, you've gone against convention with your first team by making them all from one nation, but then you seemed to understand the process with your 2nd and 3rd teams by blending them. So, y'know.

Rest assured, I won't hold my breath waiting for your update. If you want to provide it though, feel free.
Look mate I'm trying to be polite, but I've already explained several times that if it were up to my I honestly wouldn't change the teams anyway.