• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think was the best batsman to never score a test 50, 100, 150 and 200?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
iirc Michael Vaughan never made a 200 despite getting close on several occasions circa 2002-2003.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohammad Azharuddin the most test centuries without converting one into a double (22 test tons, best of 199)

that's worth a shout

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Waugh's highest score of 153 still surprises me.

But Rob Quiney never getting a ton was an absolute disgrace

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Allan Lamb never reached 150 in 79 Tests and 14 hundreds. In fact his whole Test record is mysteriously mediocre for such a high quality batsman.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Hussey was a bit unlucky never to make a 200. Same with Martyn.

That whole generation barely made double tons. Wasn't there a stat floating around that Dizzy's was the last double scored for Australia outside of Oz before Steve Smith's double last summer? That's almost 10 years.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey was a bit unlucky never to make a 200. Same with Martyn.

That whole generation barely made double tons. Wasn't there a stat floating around that Dizzy's was the last double scored for Australia outside of Oz before Steve Smith's double last summer? That's almost 10 years.
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that aggressive declarations and the especially aggressive cricket in general espoused by Waugh/Ponting/Clarkre was a major factor in that. Such that unless you were batting top 3, you would often be declared on well before 200 or throw your wicket away hunting a declaration.

Daemon

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that aggressive declarations and the especially aggressive cricket in general espoused by Waugh/Ponting/Clarkre was a major factor in that. Such that unless you were batting top 3, you would often be declared on well before 200 or throw your wicket away hunting a declaration.
Examples of this happening outside Australia?

TheJediBrah

Examples of this happening outside Australia?
Did I say it happened a lot outside Australia?

But I guess I can recall instances in England, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies a few times.

Adding on to that I'd think the Aus team would have had more innings wins than most, further reducing opportunities for big scores.

adub

International Captain
Best batsman to never score a 200 in Herbert Sutcliffe

For the others it's really just good FC/ODI batsmen who for whatever reason didn't play many Tests, e.g. Michael Bevan doesn't have a Test ton
Bevo was my first thought. Immense batsman at everything except tests.