cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Great Players Who Are Difficult To Compare With Other Great Players

State Vice-Captain

Great Players Who Are Difficult To Compare With Other Great Players

WASIM AKRAM v GLENN MCGRATH
    I hate comparing these two guys. Akram was definitely the more exciting player. He could swing the ball both ways. It's said he was a bit like Keith Miller in that he only needed a few steps to generate 140km. Wasim had the whippy actions. The thing about Wasim is that if he didn't strike early, then he'd be taken off, because he didn't bowl long spells. Viv Richards once said Wasim was the best he ever faced. Stephen Fleming did too, but his opinion doesn't count. McGrath was the opposite. He'd wear you down with longer spells. He was more about accuracy and working off a length, then pitching it up and swinging it. They're impossible to compare to me.

GEORGE HEADLEY v WALLY HAMMOND
    The obvious reason it's impossible to compare these guys is because nobody at CW would have seen them play. Richie Benaud once said that if Bradman never played, he doesn't know who would be the best number three of all time. Hammond scored 905 in one Ashes Series, which is second only to Bradman's 1930 Series (Bradman made 60 more runs or so, but with two fewer innings). Bill O'Reilly ranked Headley as the best non-Australia player he bowled to, I think, and found it impossible to bowl him out during one tour.

SHANE WARNE v MURALI
    This is very difficult. I always go with Warne, but I never care when people say Murali. This has been done to death. Warne bowled with McGrath which gives him an advantage because of the pressure McGrath provided. But Murali had less competition for wickets. Which way do we go? Murali played easier competition like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe more, but Warne didn't perform well in one Test against Bangladesh, and Warne didn't perform well against India. Murali bowled in dust-bowls, and outside of Sri Lanka his bowling average is 27 (worse than Warne), whereas Australia isn't generally a spin-friendly country, so Warne's bowling is generally better abroad.

We all know the arguments in the Warne/Murali debate. There have been threads here that have been shut-down because they've been overdone.

ALAN BORDER v STEVE WAUGH
    Both were tough competitors. Both were more the type of player you'd want to bat for your life. Border's stats are interesting. Border went three years without making a century in a Test, and yet his batting average never dipped below 50, because his batting was so consistent. He therefore made more runs than Waugh. Waugh, however, made more centuries, and because of that probably won more Tests for Australia. And while it's not like standing up to Curtley Ambrose isn't tough enough, the images of the bowling Border had to face when he made 100 and 99* in the West Indies are incredible - all around him falling, he's trying to save a Test, and he pulls off a miracle. I can't separate them.

If you wanted someone to consistently make good but not great scores, you'd go with Border. If you wanted a larger score, you'd go with Waugh. Both were tougher than woodpecker lips!

State Vice-Captain
    BOB WILLIS v JOHN SNOW
    Ian Chappell regards John Snow as the best bowler he ever faced. A person I trust says that Snow was the best English fast bowler he ever saw. And yet Willis' heroics in Botham's Ashes were remarkable, and really he was a huge reason why England had it over Australia in so many Ashes Series in the late 70s/early 80s.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Viv Richards once said Wasim was the best he ever faced. Stephen Fleming did too, but his opinion doesn't count.
    lol'd

I'd say McGrath and Marshall are harder to compare
    kingkallis likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    GEORGE HEADLEY v WALLY HAMMOND
    The obvious reason it's impossible to compare these guys is because nobody at CW would have seen them play.
    Not sure that's true. JBMAC was there when the first shepherds stuck a ball in a sock and whacked it about with a pitch fork.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    The important thing, and I'm sure Francis would agree, is what does Jono think?
    Francis likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

International Vice-Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    O'Reilly never bowled to Headley.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Good to see the great AB (not the SA wannabe) getting a mention here.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    O'Reilly never bowled to Headley.
    Really? I thought I saw an interview of Don Bradman saying that O'Reilly rated him very highly. I thought I also saw on ESPN's Legends of Cricket a story about how O'Reilly constantly tried to bowl him out by bowling around his legs...

I'm probably wrong...

Sangakkarra vs Sachin, Ponting and Lara
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    matthew hayden and curtly ambrose are tough to compare
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || A Ali || CA Pujara || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || F du Plessis || JO Holder || MM Ali || PJ Cummins || RA Jadeja || VD Philander ||

#FeelTheVern

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    matthew hayden and curtly ambrose are tough to compare
    Shady Slim, _Ed_ and honestbharani like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    WASIM AKRAM v GLENN MCGRATH
    I hate comparing these two guys. Akram was definitely the more exciting player. He could swing the ball both ways. It's said he was a bit like Keith Miller in that he only needed a few steps to generate 140km. Wasim had the whippy actions. The thing about Wasim is that if he didn't strike early, then he'd be taken off, because he didn't bowl long spells. Viv Richards once said Wasim was the best he ever faced. Stephen Fleming did too, but his opinion doesn't count. McGrath was the opposite. He'd wear you down with longer spells. He was more about accuracy and working off a length, then pitching it up and swinging it. They're impossible to compare to me.
    You wouldn't think it considering the perceptions of these 2 but McGrath actually had a better Strike-rate than Wasim
    vcs likes this.

SUNIL GAVASKAR v VIV RICHARDS

Both best players of fast bowling, Gavaskar would wear down an attack with his technique and ability to leave the ball, Viv would clobber them.

While Viv could win you any game, he was never put in a situation where his bowlers bowled terribly and he had no other option but to bat 120 odd overs to save a game. Gavaskar has played few top rearguard innings like his 229 vs England and 80 odd on a square turner against Pakistan.

International Vice-Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Really? I thought I saw an interview of Don Bradman saying that O'Reilly rated him very highly. I thought I also saw on ESPN's Legends of Cricket a story about how O'Reilly constantly tried to bowl him out by bowling around his legs...

I'm probably wrong...
    O'Reilly debuted in 27/28 then was posted by his employer, NSW education I think, to a place where "the crows fly backwards". He didn't play fc cricket again until 31/32; the season after Headley toured. Unless the WI played a minor country game where O'Reilly was selected in opposition, I can't find where they would have had an opportunity to play against each other. More's the pity.

...Murali bowled in dust-bowls, and outside of Sri Lanka his bowling average is 27 (worse than Warne)...
    This away average comparison needs more context. 30%+ of Warne's away matches were against England because of the Ashes, while Murali had to bowl to the GOAT team as well. Murali's vs Eng away record is actually better than Warne's, so if the proportion of games were similar across the board Murali would actually have a better away average.

Not trying to start another Murali vs Warne but that statistic is a bad way to compare the two.
    honestbharani likes this.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information