• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So, Bradman's Invincibles or Waugh's unbeaten team of the early 00s?

Who wins?

• Bradman's invincibles

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Waugh's men

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waugh's team needs a better nickname I agree.

Widely considered 2 of the 3 strongest XIs possible ever(alongside a Windies team from the 80s), who was stronger out of these 2?

Does Bradman sway it enough in their favour? Or does the lack of a spinner the calibre of Warne hurt them?

I know these exact XI never took the park for the invincible, but here's the best they could muster in that series based on name value

Barnes
Morris
Bradman
Harvey
Hassett
Brown
Miller
Tallon
Lindwall
Bill Johnson
Toshack

All bowlers averaged under 25 with the ball and all batsman over 45, with the exception of Miller and of course Tallon.

Compare this to Australia's XI under Waugh, which at peak form could conjure up this

Hayden
Slater
Langer
M Waugh
S Waugh
Ponting
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Going on eventual reputations, Martyn would probably deserve a spot in here over M Waugh, but oh well.

It's a tough race

Last edited:

fredfertang

Depends whose playing conditions apply - Bradman's lot had a new ball every 55 overs, so they didn't need a spinner

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Barnes
Morris
Bradman
Harvey
Hassett
Brown
Miller
Tallon
Lindwall
Bill Johnson
Toshack
Miller bats at 5. If you're comparing teams you have to compare what they put on the field.

Barnes
Morris
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey/Brown
IWG.Johnson/Loxton
Lindwall
Tallon
WA.Johnston
Toshack

They played a combo of 5 bowlers thru the whole series.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Miller bats at 5. If you're comparing teams you have to compare what they put on the field.

Barnes
Morris
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey/Brown
IWG.Johnson/Loxton
Lindwall
Tallon
WA.Johnston
Toshack

Johnson/Loxton is a bit misleading since one was an off-spinner who could bat a bit and the other was a batsman who could bowl decent fast-medium (8 wickets in 12 Tests); plus they both played at Manchester and Leeds.

The Aussie changes in full: Brown was dropped after the 2nd Test and replaced for the last 3 by Loxton; Harvey replaced Barnes (injured) in the 4th Test and they both played in the 5th Test with Toshack omitted; Ring replaced Johnson in the 5th Test. (Also, Tallon was injured for the 4th Test and replaced by Saggers.)

watson

Banned
Provided that the bats and equipment are the same for both sides then I can't see Waugh's team beating Bradman's team.

While Warne was a novelty during the 90s his impact against 1948 batsman would be minimal because they would encounter quality leg spinners all the time in Shield Cricket.

As classy as McGrath and Gillespie were they can be played successfully with a good straight technique and hold none of terrors found in a quartet consisting of Holding, Roberts, Garner, and Marshall. Brett Lee would be carted all over the park.

On the other hand, Hayden wouldn't last 30 minutes against Toshak who would simply take him apart. Slater had real problems against the swinging ball. He would not fair well against Lindwall and Johnston.

Langer, Waugh, Waugh, Ponting and Gilchrist is very strong. But it really isn't much better than the opposing middle-order. It would be interesting to see Ponting and Gilchrist take on Lindwall and Miller, but I think that they would end up having problems against the inevitable bouncers. It's all very well hooking and ducking the likes of Gough. But Lindwall wasn't nicknamed "Killer" for nothing, and Miller would be more unpredictable than any bowler they would have encountered before.

3-2 to Bradman's side as Bradman was every bit as ruthless as Waugh.

mr_mister

Barnes
Morris
Bradman
Hassett
Miller
Harvey/Brown
IWG.Johnson/Loxton
Lindwall
Tallon
WA.Johnston
Toshack

yeah I know he does, but I quite like the idea of that top 7. Bradman/Hassett/Harvey/Brown and Miller from 3-7 is ****ing lethal, not to mention the two openers who are definitely in the top 10 Australia has ever produced. Statistically speaking it's an insane batting lineup

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I know he does, but I quite like the idea of that top 7. Bradman/Hassett/Harvey/Brown and Miller from 3-7 is ****ing lethal, not to mention the two openers who are definitely in the top 10 Australia has ever produced. Statistically speaking it's an insane batting lineup
Yeah but then you're picking 3 bowlers + Miller. With his back, he's not a front line seamer, despite taking the new pill.

watson

Banned
Yeah but then you're picking 3 bowlers + Miller. With his back, he's not a front line seamer, despite taking the new pill.
I was thinking more of the team that played the Lords test;

01. Morris
02. Barnes
03. Bradman
04. Hassett
05. Miller
06. Brown
07. Johnson
08. Tallon
09. Lindwall
10. Johnston
11. Toshak

That side has 5 top class bowlers and is useful with the bat down to Lindwall at No.9

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeh. Miller was at his best when he could be used in short sharp bursts. Best as part of a 5 man attack.