• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's grand slam

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
50 over World Cup
ICC World T20
ICC Champions Trophy
#1 Ranking in test cricket

So i take it Dhoni is the only current active player to have accomplished this feat ?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni needs to stop resting on past laurels and realize that he is finished. His captaincy, wicket keeping, batting are all **** and he needs to let the younger, and fearless Kohli with positive intent take over. Dhoni is negative because he just keeps standing there with a blank look on his face and does not have 4 slips operating at all times.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni needs to stop resting on past laurels and realize that he is finished. His captaincy, wicket keeping, batting are all **** and he needs to let the younger, and fearless Kohli with positive intent take over. Dhoni is negative because he just keeps standing there with a blank look on his face and does not have 4 slips operating at all times.
Also his turtle paced running between the wickets does not help. Age is catching up with him.

TNT

Banned
50 over World Cup
ICC World T20
ICC Champions Trophy
#1 Ranking in test cricket

So i take it Dhoni is the only current active player to have accomplished this feat ?
What about #1 ranking in ODI.

should this be part of the grand slam.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Winning the World Cup = #1 ranking in ODIs. Otherwise the ranking means **** all. It means a lot in Test because it does not have a Championship.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having won the last series played against every other active nation would be Cricket's grand slam

I can't be bothered going back and finding out if that's been done, guessing maybe Australia had it after beating India in 2004

World Cups are lotteries
rubbish. I can see where you're coming from in that luck plays a larger part than in an overall ranking, but if you go back almost all World Cups were won by the best team, who deserved to win them.

Last edited:

Daemon

Having won the last series played against every other active nation would be Cricket's grand slam

I can't be bothered going back and finding out if that's been done, guessing maybe Australia had it after beating India in 2004

rubbish. I can see where you're coming from in that luck plays a larger part than in an overall ranking, but if you go back almost all World Cups were won by the best team, who deserved to win them.
Click on Howe's link

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Howe did the exercise not long ago and posted a link near the top of this page.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/69608-test-trophies-league-table.html

Australia are unsurprisingly a side to have held the grand slam nine trophies at once. First in 2004-5, after they finally beat India in 2004 but before they lost the Ashes the next year, and then again from 2007-8 between getting the Ashes back and losing to India in 2008.

SA did it most recently when they beat Australia in Australia in 2012. They lost it when they lost to them at home at the start of 2014. In 2008 they nearly made it but lacked a trophy against Sri Lanka before they were beaten at home by Australia again. They also had 8 in the early 2000s, only missing a trophy against guess which side.

If England beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka at home in our summer we'll hold the grand slam for the first time.

TheJediBrah

Doesn't surprise me tbh, and England should win those series easily.

What about winning the last series against each side at home and away?

I can imagine that would be almost impossible, especially these days. I'm guessing Aus did that in 2004, if you count Sharjah as a Pakistan home game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you're going that way, scratch the Champions Trophy IMO

It's irrelevant when you've already got the World Cup in there

Yeah but I am just including all ICC achievements. So any ICC tournament that is held multiple times plus the #1 ICC rankings in all format. I agree the CT seems superfluous but tell that to the ICC :p

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say #1 ranking in all 3 formats plus all major ICC trophies (WC - both 50 and 20 overs, and Champions Trophy)
I would be amazed if any nation ever achieves this. Even if T20 was around during Australia's glory years I can't see any way they could have dominated 3 formats like they did 2 (and even then I don't think they won the CT during this time)