• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who would you support...

who would you support if nationality ties weren't a thing?

• Total voters

Shady Slim

International Coach
if ties to nationality weren't a thing?

ie theoretically if every team did not have a name or a brand and was just a conglomerate of guys playing cricket, who would you support?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Probably England. I like how technically proficient their batsmen are. Playing swing in England, the players need to have their technique right. Obviously every condition requires different skill sets. However, there is some thing wonderful about watching the 'correct' English batsman. The wickets offer you support but you have to have craft to extract some thing out of it, whether you are a bowler or a batsman. I could also support India as watching spinners is also quite a big pleasure. However, the lack of fast bowlers is a turn off.

I really enjoy Ireland too. I would go for Ireland ahead of England actually. Following them during the 2011 World Cup was fun. Wish they got more support from the ICC.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I wasn't allowed to follow Australia, probably India because they have Kohli and he's a 10/10 troll

or whoever Kevin Pietersen is playing for

Or maybe Pakistan because they are badass mothers who just don't give a ****

Shady Slim

International Coach
tbf you're still allowed to follow australia if they are the team you'd actually support if they weren't "australia" per se

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
used to be Zim as a kid in the Flower/Streak days... but now they're boring and have no talent left. So Afghanistan!

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I would (and do) support West Indies and Sri Lanka. The players always tend to have a smile no matter the situation. It's how I like cricket to be played. The Kiwis under McCullum were a bit this way too.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I was a tall fast bowler, so probably Aussie. I'd enjoy having players like McGrath, Johnson, Hazlewood, Starc, Hastings et al. on my team to support.

My favourite players tend to be from SA, so they would be high as well.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Namibia

But would change quite often. Would definitely have been Pakistan at prime-Waqar. West Indies when Marshall was at his pomp etc.

TheJediBrah

I would (and do) support West Indies and Sri Lanka. The players always tend to have a smile no matter the situation. It's how I like cricket to be played. The Kiwis under McCullum were a bit this way too.
Sri Lanka are always nice guys. The vast majority of normal people from Sri Lanka I've met, as well as First-class cricketers from Sri Lanka I've played with or against over the years, have all been great, friendly, relatively unselfish blokes.

Can't say the same about most Indian players I've met. That's just my experience though.

The West Indians tend to be a bit different, always fun to be around and watch but also very self-absorbed.

Keep in mind these are generalisations, obviously.

Daemon

Sri Lanka are always nice guys. The vast majority of normal people from Sri Lanka I've met, as well as First-class cricketers from Sri Lanka I've played with or against over the years, have all been great, friendly, relatively unselfish blokes.

Can't say the same about most Indian players I've met. That's just my experience though.

The West Indians tend to be a bit different, always fun to be around and watch but also very self-absorbed.

Keep in mind these are generalisations, obviously.
Jayasuriya's a massive wanker. Tharanga and Maharoof are really nice.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Probably SA, if it involved turning a blind eye to their constant whinging about pitches they can't handle.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
While KP and Bell were still playing in the same team, I would have picked England without even a delay. England became very exciting for me since 05 when KP made his debut and when that team reached it's peak between 09-13, it would be my team by a distance.

Overall though, I'll have to go with South Africa. I started watching cricket in the 90s and they were such an exciting side - Donald, MacMillan, Klusener, De Villiers and then the emergence of Kallis, Boucher etc. Then SA went in to a sort of a decline after the Cronje affair under Pollock and Smith's first few years as captain weren't very impressive.
But now that I don't find England that exciting anymore as a side, I'll have to go back to South Africa.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's kind of a strange question. If nationality ties weren't a thing I would think about cricket very differently. I probably wouldn't support literally anyone against Australia, but as things stand, here we are. I feel like I can't be alone in thinking that it's the centre of getting into cricket in the first place. If I didn't have 'my team' I don't think I'd have a horse in the race at all.

It's nice to think I am a noble 'I want cricket to be the real winner' just because I occasionally put on a neutral series when there's nothing else I feel like watching, and it's particularly tempting to think I might be a superior type of fan to those weird youtube commentators who only watch and know anything about their own team. But I don't really believe any of us are actually that pompous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's kind of a strange question. If nationality ties weren't a thing I would think about cricket very differently. I probably wouldn't support literally anyone against Australia, but as things stand, here we are. I feel like I can't be alone in thinking that it's the centre of getting into cricket in the first place. If I didn't have 'my team' I don't think I'd have a horse in the race at all.

It's nice to think I am a noble 'I want cricket to be the real winner' just because I occasionally put on a neutral series when there's nothing else I feel like watching, and it's particularly tempting to think I might be a superior type of fan to those weird youtube commentators who only watch and know anything about their own team. But I don't really believe any of us are actually that pompous.
Top post