• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who would you support...

who would you support if nationality ties weren't a thing?

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India or Safrica - probably India (because of Rahane and Ashwin), but I don't know because giving unbiased answer to this question is difficult

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I would probably support Australia. I know as an England fan I'm required to hate them but loads of my favourite players throughout my time watching cricket have been Australian and there's something about Australian cricket that I love.

cnerd123

likes this
Good post, but basically the entirety of CW is about making out you're a superior/more knowledgeable/more objective poster than the others.
Sociopaths, autists and virgins. Which definitely covers 99% of this site.
No, but I think there's a kernel of truth to them both which makes them funny. Do you think both statements are completely wrong?

Autists, sociopaths, and maybe virgins are known for taking everything really literally and not seeing the humour in anything. That's why the Internet is full of them. Hence the kernel of truth in my posts.
This was a good thread

Nationality ties are nonsense anyways. I think that's what holds cricket back in a way.

As Howe said, he probably wouldn't even get into the sport if he didn't have a horse in the race. But so many people support franchises they have no tie to in other major sports - Football, Basketball, etc. I think, under the Franchise model, you have the people who run the teams (and the sport in general), make the fans the priority. More effort is put into making the sport accessible, engaging with the community, putting out a better product for TV viewers and those who attend. Cricket lacks far behind in all counts, and that's because they could rely on a sizable fan base emerging from people supporting out of nationalistic pride. But as we're now seeing, that isn't enough in most countries.

If cricket were a franchise sport and not a nationalistic one, then maybe it would be in a healthier state today.

Last edited:

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
This was a good thread

Nationality ties are nonsense anyways. I think that's what holds cricket back in a way.

As Howe said, he probably wouldn't even get into the sport if he didn't have a horse in the race. But so many people support franchises they have no tie to in other major sports - Football, Basketball, etc. I think, under the Franchise model, you have the people who run the teams (and the sport in general), make the fans the priority. More effort is put into making the sport accessible, engaging with the community, putting out a better product for TV viewers and those who attend. Cricket lacks far behind in all counts, and that's because they could rely on a sizable fan base emerging from people supporting out of nationalistic pride. But as we're now seeing, that isn't enough in most countries.

If cricket were a franchise sport and not a nationalistic one, then maybe it would be in a healthier state today.
Like soccer... ? I feel it is a healthy thing to have ties to a particular club but for international sports it can become xenophobic and other political issues will overtake sporting concerns. I do feel there are some nations that use sport as a weapon than the spectacle it should be... Sport should be enjoyed not endured but statistics state we spend more time moaning about our teams than praising them. In conclusion I would have no problem following England even though my husband is English but then it adds more spice if we are on opposing poles and have a laugh at each others teams expense... Banter and taking the 'mick' are fun but this in more fractious circles can turn to discrimination and bullying and that's were its taken too seriously.

Last edited:

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh ****!!! I really didn't mean to vote for New Zealand... I was voting for England FFS!!! Everyone will think I'm odd now.