• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who would you support...

who would you support if nationality ties weren't a thing?

• Total voters

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd probably support England. Mostly because I get/got greater exposure to their players earlier, through following country cricket and the fact England were the only country I got to see on TV until I was about 12. I'm not really patriotic anyway, even in a sporting sense, I wouldn't have an issue being ambivalent to an England side and cheering on supposedly neutral teams in other series, something that has happened in the past.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It's kind of a strange question. If nationality ties weren't a thing I would think about cricket very differently. I probably wouldn't support literally anyone against Australia, but as things stand, here we are. I feel like I can't be alone in thinking that it's the centre of getting into cricket in the first place. If I didn't have 'my team' I don't think I'd have a horse in the race at all.

It's nice to think I am a noble 'I want cricket to be the real winner' just because I occasionally put on a neutral series when there's nothing else I feel like watching, and it's particularly tempting to think I might be a superior type of fan to those weird youtube commentators who only watch and know anything about their own team. But I don't really believe any of us are actually that pompous.
That's a very interesting point. I think this perspective will change between cultures/regions. If I'm from a region/country which has always had a team competing at the highest level in a number of 'world' sports, I think I will always have 'my team' and I will never have a situation of having to go for someone else.

But if I'm from a country/region/culture that does not compete at that level, or only just started to, then I think it's a totally different situation.

Case in point, if you talk to any of the Bangladeshi cricket fans who watched cricket in the 80s or 90s, you will find them supporting either India, Pakistan or West Indies.

Similarly, Sri Lankan fans in the 70s used to support India and Pakistan.

A great example is the first ICC Champions Trophy in 1998 in Bangladesh where Bangladesh themselves did not play. The games were very well attended and the popular teams were India and Pakistan with most support.

Another example I remember is the Pakistan vs Sri Lanka test match in Dhaka in 1999 before Bangladesh's test status which also had support for both teams.

This is because a generation of cricket fans in Bangladesh grew up without having their 'own national' team but the sport was still popular and they supported usually their neighbours.

This is also very interesting because Bangladeshi fans are now known as some of the more unsporting ones who go quiet when the opposition hits a boundary. But even if you look at the recent India vs Pakistan match at Asia Cup, both teams would have felt they were playing at home because there was equal support.

This also the case with Football which is popular all over the world irrespective of whether the respective teams qualify for the World Cup or not. So you will have teams like Brazil, Argentina having fanatic support in the subcontinent during the World Cup because you just get used to the fact that you're team does not compete at this level, so by default you have to find another team that you connect with and root for them.

Then there's the Football leagues which are extremely popular all over the world. Manchester United is more popular in the subcontinent that in England.
Recently when I was watching the El Classico, someone asked me why I was so excited about it when neither of the clubs are 'my clubs' whatever that means.

I think if you love a sport and your national team does not play it at the highest level, then it's a different situation and you will have an 'adopted' team.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
it's particularly tempting to think I might be a superior type of fan to those weird youtube commentators who only watch and know anything about their own team. But I don't really believe any of us are actually that pompous.
Good post, but basically the entirety of CW is about making out you're a superior/more knowledgeable/more objective poster than the others.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Do you actually think these things?
No, but I think there's a kernel of truth to them both which makes them funny. Do you think both statements are completely wrong?

Autists, sociopaths, and maybe virgins are known for taking everything really literally and not seeing the humour in anything. That's why the Internet is full of them. Hence the kernel of truth in my posts.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, but I think there's a kernel of truth to them both which makes them funny. Do you think both statements are completely wrong?

Autists, sociopaths, and maybe virgins are known for taking everything really literally and not seeing the humour in anything. That's why the Internet is full of them. Hence the kernel of truth in my posts.
I sincerely hope you're referring to the urbandictionary definition of autist here.

Top_Cat

Have been on the roller coaster Pakistan almost as long as as I've been watching cricket, tbh.

Daemon

It would be like football with people latching on to whoever is winning everything while they're growing up.
Was just about to post along the lines of this. I don't follow football at all but heaps of my friends are crazy fans of clubs they have zero connection to. They just pick one as a kid and roll with it. It's usually one of the bigger name clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

vcs

I am pretty neutral in terms of nationalistic ties. I support India because I have supported them all my life. But since we have only 8-9 top-level teams going around at any given time in cricket, there is no point disliking any team or individuals. Cherish all the talent you see, and appreciate any good cricket, because there isn't much of it.

vcs

But yeah, I'll get off that fence. Depends on which time-frame we're talking. Australia was my 2nd favourite team when they were dominating and playing amazing cricket. WI would capture my imagination when Ambrose-Walsh were in their pomp, and later on when Lara decided to be super-human. After Steyn/Amla/AB I developed a liking for SA, and obviously this recent NZ team is very likeable. So, all-in-all I'd be a shameless glory-hunter.

Kirkut

International Regular
I enjoyed watching some 1990s first class games from Australia (courtesy Robelinda). Amazing aggressive batsmen playing fiery square cuts and other backfoot shots , bowlers not looking for seam/swing just running in and hitting the deck hard, bowling as fast as they can, you always got a certain feel of vitality watching cricket from Australia during their peak days.

91Jmay

International Coach
It's kind of a strange question. If nationality ties weren't a thing I would think about cricket very differently. I probably wouldn't support literally anyone against Australia, but as things stand, here we are. I feel like I can't be alone in thinking that it's the centre of getting into cricket in the first place. If I didn't have 'my team' I don't think I'd have a horse in the race at all.

It's nice to think I am a noble 'I want cricket to be the real winner' just because I occasionally put on a neutral series when there's nothing else I feel like watching, and it's particularly tempting to think I might be a superior type of fan to those weird youtube commentators who only watch and know anything about their own team. But I don't really believe any of us are actually that pompous.
How dare you, I am absolutely that pompous.