• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The term 'top order' refers to

The "top order" is

• The openers

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • The openers plus first drop

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • The top four

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I saw that KW is on CricInfo as a "middle-order" batsman. That got me thinking that I've never seen a definitive answer to what constitutes top order. I would have thought that first drop was still a top order position. However, I've heard 3-4-5 referred to as the middle order. Also I have heard 1-2-3-4 referred to as the top order.

What is the consensus?

Bonus points if you also know where the "lower order" begins.

cnerd123

likes this
Top Order - 1,2,3, occasionally 4
Middle Order - 4,5,6,7
Lower-Middle Order - 6,7,8
Lower Order - 7,8,9,10,11
Tail - Wherever the recognised batsmen stop

Hope that clears things up.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Top order is the top 4 in my book.

The middle order is 5 through 7

But wait news flash some people call 3-6 the middle order even though they also call the top 4 the top order. They use either middle order or top order for positions 3-4 interchangeably without thought.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't see any particular reason why top and middle order have to be mutually exclusive descriptions.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There is obviously no definitive answer

Middle Order - 4,5,6,7

^Pretty much this, which should be obvious IMO

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Top of the order 1 & 2
Middle order 3-6
Lower order 7-11

The quality of the persons in situ is irrelevant. Whether you have Adam Gilchrist or Derek Pringle at 7 doesn't matter. It's still the same spot in the order.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Middle Order - 4,5,6,7

how would that clear things up when you have different terms for the same position :s

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Use of the word "top" suggests high quality. Accordingly, most of the teams from the subcontinent have no top order.