• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recent NZ best bowling attack...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kent said:
107.3 Adams to McCullum, no run, down the pitch, into the pads, silly piint fires to Boucher, dive saves him
direct hit would have had him short

Enough to say 'out', Richard?

And what would you do if you read something like this?

Replays suggest that was a good LBW shout

Do you usually trust someone with the umpiring expertise of a cricinfo text commentator? People so lacking in bias one of them called J Langer a 'brown-nose gnome' recently?

:lol:
You saw the game, did you not?
What did you think of the shout?
And WRT to the run-out, direct-hits are always "if it hits, you've got yourself to blame and you've just got to tuck and walk - if it misses, well, a bit lucky, but they're always going to miss more often than they hit".
Similar to play-and-miss and nick. If you nick a perfect away-swinger and the catch is taken, but if you play and miss... just read above.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
You cannot tell me you can analyse every ball of every innings of a batsman who's played 42 Tests in 10 minutes.
No, you don't need every ball - I've seen all the games, I know what his first-chance scores were. It just took about 10 minutes to add them all up, having to remind myself sometimes of what they were by re-reading reports or bbbs. And don't repeat this stuff about the validity of such things - I saw them, I remember them - I just need to remind myself of the exact scores.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
No, you don't need every ball - I've seen all the games, I know what his first-chance scores were. It just took about 10 minutes to add them all up, having to remind myself sometimes of what they were by re-reading reports or bbbs. And don't repeat this stuff about the validity of such things - I saw them, I remember them - I just need to remind myself of the exact scores.
My you have a wonderful memory then.

If you don't see the whole innings, your little averages would have flaws then.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
eh?...you can basically work these out from memory,and with a little help from reports.

The holes in this just keep on getting bigger and bigger.

I think if these 'First chance aves' are to have any meaning (and in theory I think there is something there) then each chance given must be watched by the same person in all games.Otherwise, it just doesnt work

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I repeat: I remember every single time time Trescothick has been let-off with absolute clarity (and the three occasions he's been sawn-off unfairly too!)
Occasionally I need some help to remember what score he was on when the let-off happened but always I remember for certain what was and wasn't a let-off.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I repeat: I remember every single time time Trescothick has been let-off with absolute clarity (and the three occasions he's been sawn-off unfairly too!)
Occasionally I need some help to remember what score he was on when the let-off happened but always I remember for certain what was and wasn't a let-off.
You need to get out more if this is true... ;)

Kent

State 12th Man
Richard said:
You saw the game, did you not?
What did you think of the shout?
And WRT to the run-out, direct-hits are always "if it hits, you've got yourself to blame and you've just got to tuck and walk - if it misses, well, a bit lucky, but they're always going to miss more often than they hit".
Similar to play-and-miss and nick. If you nick a perfect away-swinger and the catch is taken, but if you play and miss... just read above.
OK, I'll revise McCullum's f-c average to 51. Seems very tough though. Next you'll say 'first chance!' when the cover fielder charges in and fumbles.

That LB shout was just a hypothetical one. I wanted to know what you usually do when you're going solely from text.

Mingster

State Regular
Yeah Kent, the text reports never states anything about dropped chances and unless you go into the Text commentary which I doubt Richard doesn.