• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Taylor retires

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shocking news.. Hope he recovers fully and gets to do what he likes second best to cricket. Wish him the best. Truly awful :(

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Horrible news to wake up to. Truly one of (if not the) most likable blokes in the side.

91Jmay

International Coach
I had thought he would have become an ODI ATG for England, and he would have. Cruel fate.
Yeah,he obviously wouldn't have got that average in ODIs but he would have been the exact amount of cake England needed to be perfect I think. Our test side will miss him against quality spinners mainly. Was reading a Pakistani journalist earlier who said Pakistan couldn't believe an English player was that good against the properly turning ball. His feet were just terrific.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Awful news, thought he was a very good player - fantastic fielder under the lid and one of the most aggressive runners I have seen- who was on the edge of a decent England career..so sorry for the lad but life has to come first and hopefully he will find a job within cricket to keep him going..

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad to hear this, I always liked Taylor... nuggety determined little bloke.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
very bad news

He was one of the very few English batsmen who played really well against spin.

Hope he recovers soon.

burr

State Vice-Captain
This is really awful. It's essentially what many people who suffer career-ending disabilities go through I imagine. You have your entire career mapped out in your head, expecting promotion, but at least a secure future, and then it's just taken away. If there is no safety net you drop into poverty and are signalled as one of those people who burden the British tax system. If you are lucky, you have family, wealth and other means to fall back on. That's not even to speak of mental health illness. Poor guy. I wish him all the best.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Extraordinarily revealing interview with Taylor on Sky today during the lunch interval. I thought he'd been feeling unwell and tests had revealed the heart problem (that's a bit of nutshell scenario but well.........). I didn't realise the day of drama that had taken place and how close to death he really was.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah if you didn't see it I'd urge you to try and find it online. Apparently the doctors said his heart had done the equivalent of six marathons in as many hours.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After that interview I'm actually baffled as to how regardless of his fitness he survived 5-6 hours without going to the hospital in the state he says he was in.

Was good to see he seemed upbeat in between the tinges of sadness though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
"But then he told me that the majority of these cases are only found out in the post-mortem. I almost stopped crying at that point and felt more lucky that I'm in a position to tell this story now," added Taylor

It is pretty hardcore when the Dr says that to you...

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And, most of all, having allowed him to return home, why simply drop him off at the ground? His mother subsequently found him lying at the foot of a flight of stairs that leads to the players' dining room. This story could easily have had a much darker ending.

jesus