Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Best Test

Quote Originally Posted by Zinzan View Post
    So virtually every Australian Test ever then....
    I guess Australian tests are popping up alot because a victory against them is always a memorable one & a real notch in the belt.

Banned
    Been a couple of noms for the Aus-SA Test at Sydney in 1994. I went to the second day of that test and I can honestly say it as the worst day's play I've seen in my life. A few of us from the cricket club went together along with my grandfather (it was the last Test he went to) and as we walked in he said "I came and saw Australia play South Africa here in the (50s or 60s) and there were only about 160 runs scored all day. Hope today is better". Well, fmd. Australia limped from 1/20 at the start to 5/200 at stumps. It was utterly tedious.

You could tell the deck was a bit slow, but it was only going to get harder to bat on. Why Australia bated so slowly when the pitch was at its best is beyond me. Day one SA had gone from 1/90 odd to all out 170, and it looked like Australia would just grind them into the ground. Neither side could cope with the slow deck, really.

Just shows you don't need to have perfectly executed skills for a match to turn out a great one.

Gotta be Edgbaston 05 hasn't it?

Sorry to be a pain but class this as either a nomination or a seconding.

Quote Originally Posted by AldoRaine18 View Post
    Of course, no question. Laxman's innings is rated as one of the best of all time and rightly so, and Rahul was a class act as always.

Anyway, if you read above you'd see I've already called it an amazing test match, one I've watched live and then on replays plenty of times, but this discussion is about the best test ever, which is where I thought a more balanced test in terms of performances and historical moments could be chosen.

Not sure where the hostility is coming from, though that's a silly thing to ask on the internet.

sorry about the hostility
    cricket rules brah

Quote Originally Posted by AldoRaine18 View Post
    Kolkata test was great for Indian fans and it can be counted in one of the greatest comebacks ever but overall, it wasn't a 'great' test. It only had great performances from one team.
    Australia had great performances in the test too.

That they may have toiled in the field for a day and a half later does not retrospectively make Hayden's 97 or Steve Waugh's 100 or McGrath's 4/18 vanish into thin air. The magnitude of India's response in the Test necessarily implies that Australia had already put in the yards over the first two innings in establishing that seemingly unsurmountable challenge. You're basically disregarding Newton's third law.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 11-04-2016 at 02:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

From what i've watched :

Definitely Aus-India at Eden Gardens 2001.One of the greatest comebacks of all time imo.

Ashes Edgbaston test 2005

England-Sri Lanka at Lords(last year i think).Infact both the test matches in that series was a superb advert for test cricket.

Australia-West Indies where Lara wins it for them in '98 i think.

Australia-SA in South Africa in 2011 where Cummins scores the winning runs for the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Australia had great performances in the test too.

That they may have toiled in the field for a day and a half later does not retrospectively make Hayden's 97 or Steve Waugh's 100 or McGrath's 4/18 vanish into thin air. The magnitude of India's response in the Test necessarily implies that Australia had already put in the yards over the first two innings in establishing that seemingly unsurmountable challenge. You're basically disregarding Newton's third law.
    Not disagreeing it was a great spectacle, mate. I do believe Australia could have definitely done better at times, without taking anything away from our players. Specially with the bat.
    Aldo's Draft Winners
    Speed Sheep Draft - Hutton, Hunte, Hammond, Lara, Sobers, Miller, Waite+, Lindwall, Warne, Gillespie, McGrath.
    Old Timer's Draft - Rowan, Rae, Headley, Nourse, Worrell, Sinclair, Atkinson, Sherwell+, Vogler, Schwarz, Francis.
    Test-only ODI Draft - Hobbs, Maclaren, G Pollock, Hazare, Harvey, Waite+, Constantine, Rhodes, Cowie, McDonald, Farnes.
    Losers Draft - Hutton, Hanif, Kanhai, G Pollock, Sobers, Laxman, Waite+, Streak, Fazal, Waqar, Chandra

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    sorry about the hostility
    No harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Been a couple of noms for the Aus-SA Test at Sydney in 1994. I went to the second day of that test and I can honestly say it as the worst day's play I've seen in my life. A few of us from the cricket club went together along with my grandfather (it was the last Test he went to) and as we walked in he said "I came and saw Australia play South Africa here in the (50s or 60s) and there were only about 160 runs scored all day. Hope today is better". Well, fmd. Australia limped from 1/20 at the start to 5/200 at stumps. It was utterly tedious.

You could tell the deck was a bit slow, but it was only going to get harder to bat on. Why Australia bated so slowly when the pitch was at its best is beyond me. Day one SA had gone from 1/90 odd to all out 170, and it looked like Australia would just grind them into the ground. Neither side could cope with the slow deck, really.

Just shows you don't need to have perfectly executed skills for a match to turn out a great one.
    My abiding memory of that Test is Fanie de Villers standing in the middle of the pitch with his arms raised. He was such a good swing bowler...
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Special mention to the Cardiff Ashes test in 2009 where Anderson and Panesar batted like 20 overs odd to save the test match.England would've looked back at that game fondly as that result helped them to bag the Ashes.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Second NUFAN's suggestion of the 1981 test with Botham and Dilley.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    3 best tests I Have seen

1. 1999 Barbados - The Lara Test

2. 2001 Kolkata - The VVS Test

3. 2005 Edgbaston - The KP-Flintoff Test
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    **** off does Pietersen get associated with that Test.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    Nominate Melbourne 82-83.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    am going to second adelaide 2014 because that was beautiful

also going to nominate the vernon philander 47 test 1st Test: South Africa v Australia at Cape Town, Nov 9-11, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || A Ali || CA Pujara || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || F du Plessis || JO Holder || MM Ali || PJ Cummins || RA Jadeja || VD Philander ||

#FeelTheVern

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information