• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Could You Be Loved" - good article on WI cricket and cricketing stereotypes

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't mind the article and I think it got the sentiment right. All it made me think, though, is that its broader abstractions would really be interesting if explored in a lot more detail. Interesting that Jarrod Kimber jumped into the comments too.

Certainly the treatment of the WI play in general has been absolutely shameful. Regardless what you think of the 'without brains' angle, the WI teams showed up any criticism of them as one-dimensional with their play in the final alone. And that Brathwaite hit four similar balls into different parts of the ground tells you a lot about how tactical his hitting was. Brainless it most certainly was not.

91Jmay

International Coach
Good piece, and there are certainly racial stereotypes added to the coverage of the West Indies. The piece falls down when Chris Gayle is mentioned in the same breathe as Graham Gooch (feels disingenuous in the extreme that the author trumps the feats of the Windies fast bowlers then ignores one of the players who most succeeded against them). Gayle has become overrated as a Test player the more he hasn't played it. He is a decent opener, nothing more.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The presence of a couple of non-brainless players in a team of 15 is not an automatic refutation of the broader accusation, tbh.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's surely more than a couple tho? Of the XI that played in the final, I don't think it's controversial to say that at least half of them are smart, strategic cricketers in T20.