• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official* IPL 2016

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I know we expect a lot from ABdv and he has been mediocre in t20 internationals but if we look at at his records in past 2 years, he is going great guns in ODIs,

Avg 76 SR 123

Second best are Amla and faf both averaging in 50s

In tests though the dip is quite evident for around last two years. Take out the west Indies series and his average comes down to lower 30s.

Burner

International Regular
I know we expect a lot from ABdv and he has been mediocre in t20 internationals but if we look at at his records in past 2 years, he is going great guns in ODIs,

Avg 76 SR 123

Second best are Amla and faf both averaging in 50s

In tests though the dip is quite evident for around last two years. Take out the west Indies series and his average comes down to lower 30s.
Don't think anyone is going to question his ODI performance. He has been gun in that format, almost always has been. Not in t20s though. Him dropped would never happen I agree but just emphasizing the point that SA can get the same performance if not better from any standard t20 player added in his place.

Niall

International Coach
Guptil in for Simmons for Mumbai. Big upgrade.
I dunno man.

Simmons has been absolutely quality for Mumbai since signed in 2014 and hugely important in them winning the IPL in the last 2 seasons.

400 runs scored in 8 games in 2014 where he averaged 56 and strike rate of 135 and in 2015 540 runs scored in 13 games at an average of 45 with strike rate of 122.

And in both seasons 2 scorer for Mumbai despite rarely playing as many games as the likes of Sharma.

Guptil will probably do well, but people seriously under estimating Simmons here.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
Yep, nobody bought him when he came up for auction as it has been the case for a while. Owners did not rate him against spin, but a good world cup changed their minds and to be fair looking at the unsold players list, he is elite.

List of players sold and unsold at IPL auction 2016 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
I haven't seen much of Simmons but I have seen Guptill and would love to see him bat actually. I thought if players went unsold that was it. He gets Simmons' contract or something?

Niall

International Coach
I haven't seen much of Simmons but I have seen Guptill and would love to see him bat actually. I thought if players went unsold that was it. He gets Simmons' contract or something?
Normally a few unsold players get picked up, due to injuries,international calls ups etc, Simmons was unsold I think until Finch got injured and replaced him.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bhajj's ****ed in the head, no idea how bumping up mclenenene has somehow worked.

Maybe he should send himself and 6thee in next.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Normally a few unsold players get picked up, due to injuries,international calls ups etc, Simmons was unsold I think until Finch got injured and replaced him.
Even Simmons went unpicked? He's been pretty good in the IPL in the past hasn't he?

91Jmay

International Coach
Simmons is literally in this Mumbai squad, he played first game but has been withdrawn due to injury and been replaced by Guptil. Niall means he was unpicked last time around I think.

Buttler is so ****ing good. Those wrists are million dollar.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Even Simmons went unpicked? He's been pretty good in the IPL in the past hasn't he?
May have phrased that badly!

My apologies!

He went unsold initially in 2014 and was brought as a replacement for a local player back then.

In 2015 he was out of the side to make room for Finch which backfired (oversea issues), then Finch got injured and Lendl came in and gunned it like he did in 2014.

Still their now.

Last edited: