• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gloucestershire sign Ahmed

Choora

State Regular
Gloucestershire sign Ahmed

Shabbir Ahmed has played six Tests
Gloucestershire have clinched the signing of Pakistan Test bowler Shabbir Ahmed as their second overseas player.
Ahmed, 27, has taken 33 wickets in six Test matches, and has played 19 one-day internationals.

"Shabbir is an exciting bowler who is well suited to English conditions and I think he'll greatly strengthen our side," said head coach Mark Alleyne.

He joins Shoaib Malik at the County Ground, who is returning after a short spell last season.

------

I find it a bit odd for the county to sign him at a time when he has been reported for suspect action.Also Shabbir has played just 6 test matches with little success, surely there were better bets.

I for one would have gone for I Pathan or...

Craig

World Traveller
So it will be Shabbir and Shoaib Malik as the full time overseas players?

I know Spearman will be an EU Player and it will be his final year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Choora said:
I find it a bit odd for the county to sign him at a time when he has been reported for suspect action.Also Shabbir has played just 6 test matches with little success, surely there were better bets.

I for one would have gone for I Pathan or...
You seriously think Pathan is a better bowler than Shabbir Ahmed?
Because Pathan certainly has played with little success; Ahmed quite the opposite.
His action has recently been reported and those concerns, meanwhile, have been found to be incorrect.
Of those available, he seems to be one of the better bowlers around ATM.

Richard said:
You seriously think Pathan is a better bowler than Shabbir Ahmed?
Because Pathan certainly has played with little success; Ahmed quite the opposite.
His action has recently been reported and those concerns, meanwhile, have been found to be incorrect.
Of those available, he seems to be one of the better bowlers around ATM.
Except that Patahn has faced Australia only, while Ahmad's good performance has been mainly against Bangladesh:P .

Face it, the left armer is miles ahead of Pak pacer

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shabbir Ahmed has played against Bangladesh, South Africa and New Zealand.
His record is good.
His domestic record in the last few years has been good.
Pathan has played Australia. His record is very, very poor. Yes, we can take it in the context that not many bowlers have good records against Australia recently.
Until he does well against someone else, nonetheless, we cannot say he is good, and certainly not "miles better" than somoene with a proven Test record over 2 series plus one joke one (though nonetheless, Bangladesh overperformed plenty in that series, did they not?).

masterblaster

International Captain
Records and Stats are built after many games and season's Richard, they dont just appear out of nowhere.

Pathan's so called 'poor' record is not a poor record as such. Ask any Australian fan who watched the recent Test Series and VB Series and they'll tell you that Pathan bowled very, very well.

Stats dont mean anything, Marcus Trescothick was averaging 30 in domestic cricket with the bat when he got the call.

Look where he is now......

Richard, I wish you would not rely on 'records' as heavily as you do. But other than that, I respect your opinions highly.

Its just that records aren't everything mate....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course records need to have some longevity before they can be valued that highly.
Yes, Pathan bowled some extremely good deliveries in both forms of the game in Australia. But his accuracy was for the most part poor. That doesn't mean there isn't room or chance for improvement, just that right now we can't say he's as brilliant as some, Australians especially, are making-out.
Shabbir Ahmed, on the other hand, has done well just about every time of asking in recent years.
It's all perfectly valid saying don't set too much stall by stats - heaven knows, I'll argue that till the cows come home. But quite simply, unless someone's got good figures or suffered abnormally from dropped catches off good deliveries, it's not really possible to say they bowled well.
You've got to do the job you're being asked of to have bowled seriously well. Not to say that indications of ability can't be spotted and worked with, but until the job at hand is done surely somone can't be said to have done well?

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Except that Patahn has faced Australia only, while Ahmad's good performance has been mainly against Bangladesh:P .

Face it, the left armer is miles ahead of Pak pacer
It appears you know squat about cricket,

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Marc doesn't remember commenting either way on him and until he's played a bit more, won't be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not just comment the simple truth - he hasn't played much, when he has played he's been pretty poor.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Assuming you're talking about Shabbir Ahmed (given that Pathan hasn't played Bangladesh), no, it doesn't mean much (though Bangladesh were above normal that series), but the subsequent fact that he's matched those figures against better teams does mean something.
Of course, three games isn't much, but his domestic form has been good of late and that to me suggests that he may be the replacement for Wasim and Waqar that Pakistan so badly need.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I agree with Richard that Shabbir is the better one at the moment. It would be better to analyse them both after the Indo-Pak series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO Shabbir Ahmed is a considerably better bowler than Mohammad Sami will ever be!

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Richard said:
IMO Shabbir Ahmed is a considerably better bowler than Mohammad Sami will ever be!
That is not true Sami is a bigger threat then shabbir but shabbir has ther better economy.Sami has only had one bad series against new zealand and everyone says hes crap.If he bowls well against India everyone will say hes great.I believe if he gets his line and length right again he will cause havoc.In a few years he will be one of the best bowlers in the world

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I believe he's not capable of getting his line and length anywhere near the standards required for Test-cricket. Hence I think the fact that he's been abysmal basically all his Test-career (two odd-out five-fors in New Zealand) is likely to continue. I hope he gets hammered all over the park in the India series and people realise how useless he really is.
Shabbir is way more accurate and hence poses a much bigger thread.