Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloucestershire sign Ahmed

State Regular

Gloucestershire sign Ahmed

Gloucestershire sign Ahmed

Shabbir Ahmed has played six Tests
    Gloucestershire have clinched the signing of Pakistan Test bowler Shabbir Ahmed as their second overseas player.
    Ahmed, 27, has taken 33 wickets in six Test matches, and has played 19 one-day internationals.

"Shabbir is an exciting bowler who is well suited to English conditions and I think he'll greatly strengthen our side," said head coach Mark Alleyne.

He joins Shoaib Malik at the County Ground, who is returning after a short spell last season.

------

I find it a bit odd for the county to sign him at a time when he has been reported for suspect action.Also Shabbir has played just 6 test matches with little success, surely there were better bets.

I for one would have gone for I Pathan or...
    ------------------------------------

So it will be Shabbir and Shoaib Malik as the full time overseas players?

I know Spearman will be an EU Player and it will be his final year.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Choora
    I find it a bit odd for the county to sign him at a time when he has been reported for suspect action.Also Shabbir has played just 6 test matches with little success, surely there were better bets.

I for one would have gone for I Pathan or...
    You seriously think Pathan is a better bowler than Shabbir Ahmed?
    Because Pathan certainly has played with little success; Ahmed quite the opposite.
    His action has recently been reported and those concerns, meanwhile, have been found to be incorrect.
    Of those available, he seems to be one of the better bowlers around ATM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Banned
    Originally posted by Richard
    You seriously think Pathan is a better bowler than Shabbir Ahmed?
    Because Pathan certainly has played with little success; Ahmed quite the opposite.
    His action has recently been reported and those concerns, meanwhile, have been found to be incorrect.
    Of those available, he seems to be one of the better bowlers around ATM.
    Except that Patahn has faced Australia only, while Ahmad's good performance has been mainly against Bangladesh:P .

Face it, the left armer is miles ahead of Pak pacer

Shabbir Ahmed has played against Bangladesh, South Africa and New Zealand.
    His record is good.
    His domestic record in the last few years has been good.
    Pathan has played Australia. His record is very, very poor. Yes, we can take it in the context that not many bowlers have good records against Australia recently.
    Until he does well against someone else, nonetheless, we cannot say he is good, and certainly not "miles better" than somoene with a proven Test record over 2 series plus one joke one (though nonetheless, Bangladesh overperformed plenty in that series, did they not?).

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Records and Stats are built after many games and season's Richard, they dont just appear out of nowhere.

Pathan's so called 'poor' record is not a poor record as such. Ask any Australian fan who watched the recent Test Series and VB Series and they'll tell you that Pathan bowled very, very well.

Stats dont mean anything, Marcus Trescothick was averaging 30 in domestic cricket with the bat when he got the call.

Look where he is now......

Richard, I wish you would not rely on 'records' as heavily as you do. But other than that, I respect your opinions highly.

Its just that records aren't everything mate....
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Of course records need to have some longevity before they can be valued that highly.
    Yes, Pathan bowled some extremely good deliveries in both forms of the game in Australia. But his accuracy was for the most part poor. That doesn't mean there isn't room or chance for improvement, just that right now we can't say he's as brilliant as some, Australians especially, are making-out.
    Shabbir Ahmed, on the other hand, has done well just about every time of asking in recent years.
    It's all perfectly valid saying don't set too much stall by stats - heaven knows, I'll argue that till the cows come home. But quite simply, unless someone's got good figures or suffered abnormally from dropped catches off good deliveries, it's not really possible to say they bowled well.
    You've got to do the job you're being asked of to have bowled seriously well. Not to say that indications of ability can't be spotted and worked with, but until the job at hand is done surely somone can't be said to have done well?

Eagerly wait's Marc's response to rubbish Richard's comments.

Originally posted by Craig
    Eagerly wait's Marc's response to rubbish Richard's comments.
    You are wrong Craig:P . Marc isn't exactly a fan of Pathan either

Originally posted by ajaagarkarajaaja
    Except that Patahn has faced Australia only, while Ahmad's good performance has been mainly against Bangladesh:P .

Face it, the left armer is miles ahead of Pak pacer
    It appears you know squat about cricket,
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Marc doesn't remember commenting either way on him and until he's played a bit more, won't be.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Why not just comment the simple truth - he hasn't played much, when he has played he's been pretty poor.

Played well against Bangladesh, suppose that doesn't say much though.

Assuming you're talking about Shabbir Ahmed (given that Pathan hasn't played Bangladesh), no, it doesn't mean much (though Bangladesh were above normal that series), but the subsequent fact that he's matched those figures against better teams does mean something.
    Of course, three games isn't much, but his domestic form has been good of late and that to me suggests that he may be the replacement for Wasim and Waqar that Pakistan so badly need.

I agree with Richard that Shabbir is the better one at the moment. It would be better to analyse them both after the Indo-Pak series.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information