• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wayne Parnell

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Been in good form with the ball this season,looks to have come on a lot with the bat too.Has just finished with a 12 wicket haul in the Cobras latest sunfoil series game.Surely he's the standout candidate for that no.7 slot in both South Africa's ODI and T20I teams?An extended period playing domestic cricket instead of carrying drinks for South Africa looks to have done him the world of good.
Heck,if Morris can get a game at no.8 in tests for South Africa,why can't Parnell?(Not that I don't rate Morris btw)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The man is still responsible for the greatest Cricinfo headline in history...

.... "my name is Wayne"

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haven't seen him bowl in a while. Had a fair bit of promise early on in his career.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Had promise, failed to deliver at international level. He has started performing domestically so, may find a place in the ODI and possible T20 team.

Current potential SA Test 7-11 (barring injuries): Philander, Steyn, Rabada, Morkel, Piedt. If we play the extra batsmen then one of these must drop out already. Thus Parnell will have to replace one of these in test team. Don`t see it happening. Could be come part of squad again but would probably just end up carrying drinks.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had promise, failed to deliver at international level. He has started performing domestically so, may find a place in the ODI and possible T20 team.

Current potential SA Test 7-11 (barring injuries): Philander, Steyn, Rabada, Morkel, Piedt. If we play the extra batsmen then one of these must drop out already. Thus Parnell will have to replace one of these in test team. Don`t see it happening. Could be come part of squad again but would probably just end up carrying drinks.
Weren't you a fan of Calvin Savage for the all-rounder role? Might be someone else but I remember when I asked about Pretorius everyone who wasn't completely and totally ignorant seemed to trash him and there were good things said about Calvin.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Weren't you a fan of Calvin Savage for the all-rounder role? Might be someone else but I remember when I asked about Pretorius everyone who wasn't completely and totally ignorant seemed to trash him and there were good things said about Calvin.
The two young guys (<25) with potential are Savage and Phehlukwayo, hopefully one of them comes good soon. Pretorius never really stepped up consistently until recently and now Parnell is showing some form as well so there is some potential all rounders for the ODI and T20, along with Morris who has lots of talent. All of these though have disappointed or are unproven at international level. Maybe we should do an England and just pick them all for our T20 team and bat till no.10... rather than picking our best bowlers.

But to be honest while the may be good for the short format I would not be picking any of them for the test team at this stage. For me until one of your skills become good enough to make the team by itself I don`t pick so called all-rounders just for the sake of it. If you look at the past all-rounders in the SA team, S Pollock, B. McMillan, not forgetting King Kallis etc, they were picked because they were quality batsmen or bowlers who then happened to have additional skills. That`s what SA needs for the test team, nobody has shown that yet.

Last edited:

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
I remember people's major vendetta against Pretorius seemed to be that he had earned his amazing all round stats playing the majority of his cricket at provincial level,a rung below franchise level.Had a great Sunfoil Series season this year though,averaging 35 with bat and 20 with ball.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wayne Parnell is one of those guys who if you have't actually followed his sparse appearances and go just by his record, you would easily dismiss him as a spud.

Guy has potential and ability..just poor fitness. The main reason he is out of the side is because of the hammering against India in the WC game but he was coming after a major injury and that was his first game up against the best batting side.

The last test match he played, he was shaping up a brilliant spell where his two key wickets (moving the ball beautifully off the seam) against Australia were absolutely crucial in that session. He was bowling as well as I have ever seen him bowl, but got injured. That is the sort of game where others in similar sort of rhythm would have taken a 5 for.

He has bowled well every time he has come on the back of a solid season. I first noticed him during the CT 2009 where he had like 11 wickets in 3 games.

He has had several fitness issues and I don't know whether he can sustain...but whenever he has been fit, he has been good.

brockley

International Captain
His batting as an opener in ltd over cricket has been impressive,shame he missed so many games due 2 quota politics.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wayne Parnell is one of those guys who if you have't actually followed his sparse appearances and go just by his record, you would easily dismiss him as a spud.

Guy has potential and ability..just poor fitness. The main reason he is out of the side is because of the hammering against India in the WC game but he was coming after a major injury and that was his first game up against the best batting side.

The last test match he played, he was shaping up a brilliant spell where his two key wickets (moving the ball beautifully off the seam) against Australia were absolutely crucial in that session. He was bowling as well as I have ever seen him bowl, but got injured. That is the sort of game where others in similar sort of rhythm would have taken a 5 for.

He has bowled well every time he has come on the back of a solid season. I first noticed him during the CT 2009 where he had like 11 wickets in 3 games.

He has had several fitness issues and I don't know whether he can sustain...but whenever he has been fit, he has been good.
I've followed his appearances closely enough to be basing it on more than stats; still a spud.

Stefan9

International Debutant
His batting as an opener in ltd over cricket has been impressive,shame he missed so many games due 2 quota politics.
What are you on about. Parnel qualifies as a quota player. He has never had an issue of being kept out of a side based on quotas. Its always been about form and consistency when it comes to parnell.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How though? What's his background?
The unofficial quota for SA team is 4 players of colour. Ideally one player who is 'black'. Parnell counts as 'coloured' in SA terms (mixed-race). Technically so does Amla, who is not of mixed race but Asian decent. Yes its ****ed up.... welcome to SA politics.

PS: Background means nothing. If he is from the townships or grew up with a silver spoon, makes no difference

Stefan9

International Debutant
The unofficial quota for SA team is 4 players of colour. Ideally one player who is 'black'. Parnell counts as 'coloured' in SA terms (mixed-race). Technically so does Amla, who is not of mixed race but Asian decent. Yes its ****ed up.... welcome to SA politics.

PS: Background means nothing. If he is from the townships or grew up with a silver spoon, makes no difference
Tahir also qualifies even though he didn't even spend his childhood in SA...

Heard another story not sure if its accurate or not. But apparently for colored players you only qualify if its the father that is the non white part of the equitation. Apparently QDK has a colored mother but doesn't qualify as his dad is white.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Heard another story not sure if its accurate or not. But apparently for colored players you only qualify if its the father that is the non white part of the equitation. Apparently QDK has a colored mother but doesn't qualify as his dad is white.
If this true then its even more ****ed up than I thought....

Just to clarify I`m not against quotas per se, just the poor stupid irrational implementation of them.

Marius

International Debutant

Ja, I don't believe either of those claims, especially the one about your dad having to be a person of colour for you to count as a quota player.

Marius

International Debutant
Another 5-for for Parnell today,the haters will keep on hating though.
Yeah, he's been in good form with the bat too.

Think he must be close to a Test recall. Where will you fit him in though if Philander, Morkel, and Steyn are all fit (assuming we play a spinner in our next Test match)?

Maybe have him ahead of Philander? Or Morkel?

Don't think you can leave a fit Steyn out of your Test side (yet).

EDIT: Just looked at his Cricinfo profile - he only turns 27 this year, he's been around for so long I thought he was close to 30.

Last edited: