Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Parnell

Wayne Parnell

Been in good form with the ball this season,looks to have come on a lot with the bat too.Has just finished with a 12 wicket haul in the Cobras latest sunfoil series game.Surely he's the standout candidate for that no.7 slot in both South Africa's ODI and T20I teams?An extended period playing domestic cricket instead of carrying drinks for South Africa looks to have done him the world of good.
    Heck,if Morris can get a game at no.8 in tests for South Africa,why can't Parnell?(Not that I don't rate Morris btw)

The man is still responsible for the greatest Cricinfo headline in history...

.... "my name is Wayne"
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Haven't seen him bowl in a while. Had a fair bit of promise early on in his career.

Dan
    Nope, don't rate him. Spud.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

Had promise, failed to deliver at international level. He has started performing domestically so, may find a place in the ODI and possible T20 team.

Current potential SA Test 7-11 (barring injuries): Philander, Steyn, Rabada, Morkel, Piedt. If we play the extra batsmen then one of these must drop out already. Thus Parnell will have to replace one of these in test team. Don`t see it happening. Could be come part of squad again but would probably just end up carrying drinks.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Quote Originally Posted by stphndbsn View Post
    Had promise, failed to deliver at international level. He has started performing domestically so, may find a place in the ODI and possible T20 team.

Current potential SA Test 7-11 (barring injuries): Philander, Steyn, Rabada, Morkel, Piedt. If we play the extra batsmen then one of these must drop out already. Thus Parnell will have to replace one of these in test team. Don`t see it happening. Could be come part of squad again but would probably just end up carrying drinks.
    Weren't you a fan of Calvin Savage for the all-rounder role? Might be someone else but I remember when I asked about Pretorius everyone who wasn't completely and totally ignorant seemed to trash him and there were good things said about Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    Weren't you a fan of Calvin Savage for the all-rounder role? Might be someone else but I remember when I asked about Pretorius everyone who wasn't completely and totally ignorant seemed to trash him and there were good things said about Calvin.
    The two young guys (<25) with potential are Savage and Phehlukwayo, hopefully one of them comes good soon. Pretorius never really stepped up consistently until recently and now Parnell is showing some form as well so there is some potential all rounders for the ODI and T20, along with Morris who has lots of talent. All of these though have disappointed or are unproven at international level. Maybe we should do an England and just pick them all for our T20 team and bat till no.10... rather than picking our best bowlers.

But to be honest while the may be good for the short format I would not be picking any of them for the test team at this stage. For me until one of your skills become good enough to make the team by itself I don`t pick so called all-rounders just for the sake of it. If you look at the past all-rounders in the SA team, S Pollock, B. McMillan, not forgetting King Kallis etc, they were picked because they were quality batsmen or bowlers who then happened to have additional skills. That`s what SA needs for the test team, nobody has shown that yet.
    Last edited by StephenZA; 03-04-2016 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    I remember people's major vendetta against Pretorius seemed to be that he had earned his amazing all round stats playing the majority of his cricket at provincial level,a rung below franchise level.Had a great Sunfoil Series season this year though,averaging 35 with bat and 20 with ball.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Wayne Parnell is one of those guys who if you have't actually followed his sparse appearances and go just by his record, you would easily dismiss him as a spud.

Guy has potential and ability..just poor fitness. The main reason he is out of the side is because of the hammering against India in the WC game but he was coming after a major injury and that was his first game up against the best batting side.

The last test match he played, he was shaping up a brilliant spell where his two key wickets (moving the ball beautifully off the seam) against Australia were absolutely crucial in that session. He was bowling as well as I have ever seen him bowl, but got injured. That is the sort of game where others in similar sort of rhythm would have taken a 5 for.

He has bowled well every time he has come on the back of a solid season. I first noticed him during the CT 2009 where he had like 11 wickets in 3 games.

He has had several fitness issues and I don't know whether he can sustain...but whenever he has been fit, he has been good.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

International Captain
    His batting as an opener in ltd over cricket has been impressive,shame he missed so many games due 2 quota politics.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Wayne Parnell is one of those guys who if you have't actually followed his sparse appearances and go just by his record, you would easily dismiss him as a spud.

Guy has potential and ability..just poor fitness. The main reason he is out of the side is because of the hammering against India in the WC game but he was coming after a major injury and that was his first game up against the best batting side.

The last test match he played, he was shaping up a brilliant spell where his two key wickets (moving the ball beautifully off the seam) against Australia were absolutely crucial in that session. He was bowling as well as I have ever seen him bowl, but got injured. That is the sort of game where others in similar sort of rhythm would have taken a 5 for.

He has bowled well every time he has come on the back of a solid season. I first noticed him during the CT 2009 where he had like 11 wickets in 3 games.

He has had several fitness issues and I don't know whether he can sustain...but whenever he has been fit, he has been good.
    I've followed his appearances closely enough to be basing it on more than stats; still a spud.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Have you watched any of his recent cricket? Wasn't he far too young at that stage?

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley View Post
    His batting as an opener in ltd over cricket has been impressive,shame he missed so many games due 2 quota politics.
    What are you on about. Parnel qualifies as a quota player. He has never had an issue of being kept out of a side based on quotas. Its always been about form and consistency when it comes to parnell.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    What are you on about. Parnel qualifies as a quota player.
    How though? What's his background?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    How though? What's his background?
    The unofficial quota for SA team is 4 players of colour. Ideally one player who is 'black'. Parnell counts as 'coloured' in SA terms (mixed-race). Technically so does Amla, who is not of mixed race but Asian decent. Yes its ****ed up.... welcome to SA politics.

PS: Background means nothing. If he is from the townships or grew up with a silver spoon, makes no difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information