• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Thorpe

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Such a great batsman. Tragic that he only played 96 Tests :(

The best English batsman of his generation.

91Jmay

International Coach
Can't wait for GIMH's next thread about how the next great English wicketkeeper batsmen is a kid named James Foster as apparently he has woken up thinking it is 2004 with his threads today.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't wait for GIMH's next thread about how the next great English wicketkeeper batsmen is a kid named James Foster as apparently he has woken up thinking it is 2004 with his threads today.
Okay I'll remember this rule next time someone posts a thread about Bradman.

Foster was better than Gilchrist, everyone knows that.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Difficult to know how much impact a coach has had on players but I'd guess that a lot of what is good in the game of Joe Root and James Taylor especially against spin has come from the work they did with Thorpe with the lions and latterly as ODI batting coach.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rank the batsman of his era like this

Thorpe > Stewart > Atherton > Smith > Hussain > Hick > Butcher > Ramprakash > Crawley

Kirkut

International Regular
When I think of Thorpe, the first thing that comes to my mind is a youtube video in which Waqar castled his off-stump with a yorker in 2001 series.

100 tests, nearly 7000 runs. Quality player.

fredfertang

Terrific batsman Graham Thorpe, such a shame he so often came back the next day and was out straight away. Presumably he had a concentration issue - without which I'm sure he would comfortably have averaged 50+

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When I think of Thorpe, the first thing that comes to my mind is a youtube video in which Waqar castled his off-stump with a yorker in 2001 series.

100 tests, nearly 7000 runs. Quality player.
Only played 96 I'm afraid

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Terrific batsman Graham Thorpe, such a shame he so often came back the next day and was out straight away. Presumably he had a concentration issue - without which I'm sure he would comfortably have averaged 50+
It's quite incredible the runs he managed to make playing in a dire team like England.

watson

Banned
Under the Lid: Graham Thorpe

....Michael Atherton said in his autobiography that “of all the players I played with, [Thorpe] was the one whose state of mind most affected his play. A happy, contented Thorpe is a world-class player, his presence beneficial to any team. If something off the field is eating away at him, he cannot put it to the back of his mind and concentrate on his cricket.”

Thorpe’s transformation began in 2002 when the collapse of his marriage brought about another of those absences from the England side. Previously, he’d left the trip to the Caribbean early in 1999, declined to visit South Africa later that year due to the rigours of touring life, and flown home halfway through a tour of India in 2001. In the summer of 2002 he’d play just the first four of seven Tests, retire from ODIs, then take an indefinite break from all cricket due to off-field issues.

“When I had my divorce I got opened up,” he says. “All the skeletons in the cupboard came out, and there were a few there. As things became public it was tough and I was hurt, I was drinking lots and I was insular, bitter and lonely. So to come through that and to remarry and have another child, I feel very blessed that I can work and enjoy myself. That’s part of life. We grow and change and embrace those changes. That was a process that needed to happen for me to become the relaxed guy I am today. All the circumstances around my divorce – it being so public – contributed to that. I desperately needed that break from the game.”

Read more at Under The Lid: Graham Thorpe | Exclusive Interview | All Out Cricket
Thorpe's success as a batsman is a minor miracle given his circumstances and temperment.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Crawley was a criminally underrated bat IMO
Creepy was a real stylist and could look superb against spin. He wasn't a poor player of quick bowling but he wasn't good on the off side and if the oppo had quality pace bowlers who could target his off stump relentlessly he seldom looked happy - has a really poor record against West Indies and South Africa and struggled against Australia too