• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Thorpe

jcas0167

International Debutant
Difficult to know how much impact a coach has had on players but I'd guess that a lot of what is good in the game of Joe Root and James Taylor especially against spin has come from the work they did with Thorpe with the lions and latterly as ODI batting coach.
His bat proved an inspiration to a young KW.

A bat that belonged to England test cricketer Graham Thorpe is proving a big hit with a Tauranga schoolboy.

Kane Williamson, 12, has been piling up the runs since the three-year-old Kookaburra bat was given to him a few weeks ago…
[
Kane is modest about his ability - "you have a good day sometimes" - but believes the bat has lifted his performance.

"A bat doesn't make a player, but a good bat helps," he said. "This is a really nice bat."

A new bat bought about the same time has been put aside in favour of the treasured Kookaburra, which has a smaller handle and beautiful grain.
Cricket: Bat proves its exalted pedigree - Sport - NZ Herald News

kanebat1_620x310.jpg

Last edited:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Terrific batsman Graham Thorpe, such a shame he so often came back the next day and was out straight away. Presumably he had a concentration issue - without which I'm sure he would comfortably have averaged 50+
Early in his career he used to get out in the 70/80s a lot. He then had a wife/divorce issue mainly. He was averaging 50+ after he came back. Best English batsman of the pre 95 - 2005 generation, by miles.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Early in his career he used to get out in the 70/80s a lot. He then had a wife/divorce issue mainly. He was averaging 50+ after he came back. Best English batsman of the pre 95 - 2005 generation, by miles.
Would love to read Mrs Thorpe's take on the matrimonial difficulties - he dwells on them a great deal in his autobiography and she comes across as a haridan of the highest order, with more evil characteristics than all the past Mrs Fertangs put together

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"only 96 tests"

what? Firstly, that's a magnificent career. Secondly, its 100 tests.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
"only 96 tests"

what? Firstly, that's a magnificent career. Secondly, its 100 tests.
GIMH was doing the whole Richard impersonation thing as an April Fool's joke, and Richard had his own definition of Tests that excluded games against Bangladesh.

It was mildly funny at first but it went on too long, and it's definitely not funny now that I've had to explain it, but there you go.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Thorpe was a big reason why England did well in their subcontinental tours in the early part of the 00s. Still remember that game at Karachi(?) with the fading light where he batted on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
GIMH was doing the whole Richard impersonation thing as an April Fool's joke, and Richard had his own definition of Tests that excluded games against Bangladesh.

It was mildly funny at first but it went on too long, and it's definitely not funny now that I've had to explain it, but there you go.
Catching the big fish Jono has made the whole thing worth it.

FTR. The 96 Tests thing was an actual quote.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Catching the big fish Jono has made the whole thing worth it.

FTR. The 96 Tests thing was an actual quote.
Brilliant - the most curious aspect of it was my immediate reaction when I saw Richard's avatar again - a curious mix of 'Oh no not all that again' and 'Great, he's back to liven the place up' - can't say which I would have settled on as I spotted it was GIMH too quickly - should have taken a leaf out of Joe's book and created a multi called R1chard

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)