• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsman cannot be too good for the bowler

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A lot of people don't realise this.

Might as well close the thread now as I've imparted my wisdom.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
But what if the bower is a batsman himself?

Sobers and Kohli come to mind as players of that ilk.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'd forgotten that this was one of Richard's pet theories.

That makes no sense, however, when one considers that the bowler, not the batsman, controls the game. If the bowler's too good for the batsman, nothing can be done; the batsman cannot be too good for the bowler.

Quality.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All depends on definition of "too good".

I guess what you're saying is that regardless of how dominant a batsman is over a bowler he can always be dismissed through unlucky circumstances.

But using that same definition a bowler can't be "too good" for a batsman either, as regardless of how dominant a bowler is, getting the wicket isn't always guaranteed and a batsman can still play and miss, edge to the boundary etc and not be dismissed by that bowler.

Shady Slim

International Coach
provided you're a club level batsman and a club level bowler and were posed with the question "which option would give you more success - to bowl to ABDV or bat against Steyn" i daresay the option for most is the bowling, just something to note.